cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CODA-4582 Port Forwarding Issue (Added ports don't save)

Gilae
I'm here a lot

I've been trying to set up port forwarding on the above modem and every time I add a Port Forwarding rule, it shows up on the table but pressing save changes and reloading the page shows that rule has not been added.

Hardware: Hitron CODA-4582
Firmware: 2.0.10.28T2

I'm using it as both router and modem.

I notice ports forwarding rules are added automatically for programs like Skype but I can not manually add a rule.
I tried turning off UPnP and adding rules, still didn't work. Interestingly, saving changes on any pages other than the port forwarding page works. Even enabling/disabling "All Port Forwarding Rules" saves. However, adding a rule doesn't save.

The following are the steps and what occurs:

- Open Port Forwarding page

- Press Add Rule

- Fill out all fields as needed

- Press Apply

- Press Save Changes
- Receive "[Success] Your changes have been saved" message

- Reload page/Change Tabs/Reboot Router
- Revisit port forwarding page/check canyouseeme.org
- The rule is not there and the port is still closed

The same issue occurs when removing or modifying rules. Some help would be appreciated, as this is really getting on my nerves. Thanks in advance!

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron CODA-4582 Port Forwarding Issue (Added ports don't save)

I found a solution to this particular issue in case this happens to anyone else.

The problem seems to be caused by port rules added by UPnP with invalid characters in their names (period [.] for example). It seems the firmware doesn't like saving changes to the table when these rules are there. I had a ton of rules that looked like "Skype-3.3-at-192.168.0.10".

The solution is to remove all rules that include these invalid characters in their name (I don't have the whole list of these characters, but you can experiment by trying to add a rule with them). Once you remove all of them you can add a rule and save it, it should work perfectly after that.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Gilae
I'm here a lot

Forgot to point out in the original that I've tried this on multiple computers on the network as well as multiple browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari). This does not seem to be an issue from the computer's side.

Hello @Gilae!

While we don't offer direct support for Port Forwarding issues, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Have you tried multiple ports when creating rules? It's entirely possible here that you're attempting to create a rule with a reserved port, which is why it's failing.

I would also recommend that you make changes to your router settings while connected to Ethernet, just in case there's a connectivity issue. I've personally had issues with rules sticking on routers in the past while connecting to the firmware via WiFi. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I just tried connecting to ethernet and adding a range of multiple ports. The port I'm testing with is 25565 which is a commonly forwarded port. Being connected to ethernet didn't help, same result.

Hi @Gilae!

It doesn't seem like this is a widespread issue. Is there any one in the Community that has experienced this?

I would honestly recommend taking the modem into your nearest Rogers store for a swap. It's most likely this is a hardware issue with this particular modem.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I found a solution to this particular issue in case this happens to anyone else.

The problem seems to be caused by port rules added by UPnP with invalid characters in their names (period [.] for example). It seems the firmware doesn't like saving changes to the table when these rules are there. I had a ton of rules that looked like "Skype-3.3-at-192.168.0.10".

The solution is to remove all rules that include these invalid characters in their name (I don't have the whole list of these characters, but you can experiment by trying to add a rule with them). Once you remove all of them you can add a rule and save it, it should work perfectly after that.

GiorgioHsiao
I've been here awhile

Hitron CODA-4582 Port Forwarding Issue (Timing out, and ports not visible)

I recently tried to forward some ports in order to set up servers for various games, but I have encountered an issue that I can't seem to fix.

Before I tried to port forward recently, my list was filled with various Skype Ports as well as my own that I set up many months ago. Now when I view the list, none of the rules are visible and I can't seem to find why. I had guessed that perhaps the rules all reset somehow and I would simply have to reapply them, but I'm having trouble with that as well.

After I set up the rule with the proper ports, ip and click save, my session times out, regardless of how quick I am. Even if I attempt to do it in less then 30 seconds I time out. This seems to only ever occur when I am doing anything related to port forwarding, as I can take all the time I want looking through and changing any other settings.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and if there is some kind of solution. 

@GiorgioHsiao

Thats very strange that it times out, I haven't encountered this issue. You're using the CODA 4582? what firmware version is installed? you can find the version on the first/main page. 

Also since your old entries got deleted/can't see them anymore, I would suggest a factory reset of the modem first. Perhaps over time/firmware upgrades something got corrupted. Use a Pen tip or similar to press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem, hold it for 10 seconds then release, the modem will reboot. 

You will have to set everything back up from scratch, but I highly suggest it since you mentioned your previous entries disappeared. 

GiorgioHsiao
I've been here awhile

Currently I am on Hardware Version 1A, and Software Version 2.0.10.28T2.

@GiorgioHsiao While searching for answers to my issue I think I saw something similar.  If I remember correctly the solution was to stay on each page long enough to let it fully load. So first let the status page load fully, then do the same for the first basic page (LAN Setup) and then finally switch to the port forwarding page. 

If that doesn't work, I'd try to add the port forwarding rules when plugged in to the router via Ethernet as @RogersCorey suggested.

Bobthedestroyer
I've been here awhile

CODA-4582U    port forwarding  problem

Hi guys,  cant forward any ports  , i need 80 and 9000 for dvr , only 80 works .

there is 2 rules for skype and 1 for teredo , deleted them  , after reboot  2 skype returned .

is 4582U different?

Those will keep coming up, if you have UPNP enabled.
If you disable it, it will free up those slots.
But it doesnt seem like its a # of slots issue.

porchemasi
I've been here awhile

Anytime I try to create a new port forwarding rule and hit Save I am immediately prompted with a user session timeout and to relogin. I have tried on 2 desktops via ethernet, incognito mode in chrome, and on my cell phone. Ive rebooted my modem also.

Any ideas?

HW 1A

SW 2.0.10.28T2

The following are the steps and what occurs:

- Open Port Forwarding page

- Press Add Rule

- Fill out all fields as needed

- Press Apply

- Press Save Changes

-Browser popup session timed out, please login!

Hey @porchemasi,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Man LOL.

I can certainly understand how that can be quite the annoyance and it seems like you weren't the only person who experienced this issue. Fortunately, @Gilae was able to identify the problem and came up with a solution. 

Please refer to post #6 of this thread for further instructions. Let us know if it works for you as well!

Cheers,

RogersCilio

porchemasi
I've been here awhile

Hi @RogersCilio

Unfortunately there are no rules to remove and I have tried with UnPn enabled and disabled. Same session time out error when clicking save. 

Hey @porchemasi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Which ports in particular are you trying to forward? As my colleague @RogersCorey mentioned, if you're attempting to forward reserved ports, it'll likely fail.  

Have you also already tried to factory reset the modem as well? I'd also suggest trying to input your port forwarding rules while hardwired directly to the modem, with Ethernet.

I'll tag in a few of our very knowledgeable Resident Experts to provide some insight.

@Gdkitty @gp-se @Datalink Gentlemen, thoughts?

Cheers,

RogersCilio

@porchemasi wrote:

Hi @RogersCilio

Unfortunately there are no rules to remove and I have tried with UnPn enabled and disabled. Same session time out error when clicking save. 

@porchemasi 

That is very strange, at this point I would do a factory reset of the modem.

@porchemasi

Just to make sure all bases are covered, have you tried the solution in post #10 in this thread? Try letting all pages load before advancing to the next one, and if that doesn't work, connect via Ethernet and try again.

@porchemasi are you running any blockers on the browser by any chance.  I had a similar situation with an RT-AC68U router and Firefox where I had numerous blockers running.  Running a router update, the time to go indicator would sit and spin, essentially telling me that I wasn't commanding the update to run.  Switch to Chrome, where I have fewer blockers running, and the update runs as expected.  So, some part of the user web page was blocked in Firefox, but, allowed to run in Chrome.

shadowvillain
I've been here awhile

I've set the modem to bridge mode, done port forwarding via my router but the ports are still not opened? I've also tried connecting the modem (in bridge mode) direct to my PC, and while internet works, the ports are still closed. I thought the modem doesn't have any firewall in bridge mode?

I remember when the modem was in gateway mode with port forwarding configured, and while the active ports show up under UPNP, ports still couldn't be seen through canyouseeme or yougetsignal sites.

porchemasi
I've been here awhile

@Datalink  I am but have tried disabling the adblock on chrome, no luck. stock Edge browser no pluggins same issue, android chrome on my cell same issue. 

Topic Stats