cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering

DaltryRog
I've been here awhile

Hi, on phone 1 hour last evening with Rogers Support and they are stumped as well. I need to have device filtering configured on my wifi access on new Hitron CODA 4582.  The firmware is capable, however, specifically I need to limit the hours of access for various devices (by MAC Addresses) during specific hours (block wifi access after 8pm and allow after 8am next day). . The firmware allows you to add a device to the list of managed devices no problem. You can then select the time to start "managing the devices" and can specify the days, start and end times for blocking the device.  The format is military time (i.e. 20:00pm start to 08:00am end).  The issue is the firware gives an "invalid date format" when you enter a time period that spans over into a next day. For instance, no problem having device "blocked" from 20:00 pm to 23:59pm ....however if you want to block from 20:00pm to 08:00am the following day.."invalid date format".  We tried several work-arounds: 1. Tried to enter two separate periods in the day to "block" (example: 00:01am to 08:00am AND 20:00pm to 23:59 on the same day) - but the firware does not appear to allow more than 1 blocked period for a device in a day. 2. We tried to enter the MAC Address of the device in the Managed List a second time (thinking that perhaps we could then register different block periods for each entry...No luck - the Hitron Firware only allows one entry of a specific MAC Address in the managed list.  I don't know what else to try (and neither did Rogers Support).  My previous Bell modem/router - which was very outdated had the ability to block devices during multiple periods within the same day and spanning days.  The CODA 4582 seems to be very rudimentary...max 1 block period and it has to be within the same 24 hour period of a day. Anyone have any advice or a solution ? (If you do, you will have shown up Rogers Technmical Support .....as well as Google - because nobody seems to have identified this shortcoming. For now I have blocking configured from 20:00 pm to 23:59pm each day....it is only a matter of time until the "teens" figure out that it is unblocked after midnight  :-).  

***EDITED LABELS***

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering

LarryMenard
I've been here awhile

Hitron CODA 4582U UI hangs when adding MAC addresses (Managed Devices)

I have just upgraded to Ignite Gigabit, so have just deployed the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router.  Previously I had been using a pure modem (don't remember the make or model, but it doesn't really matter) and my own router (Linksys EA6400).  I had done significant configuration on my router, including MAC address filtering to only allow specific systems to access the network (a list of about 20 entries).

I am now trying to add my MAC address filtering entries to the Hitron device.

All goes well until I have added 11 entries.  When I try to add the 12th entry, when I click on "Save Changes", the UI completely locks up and never comes back.  The only activity on the page is a 'busy' spinner with text "[PENDING]" and "Saving changes, please wait...".  Every few minutes the browser reports that the page in no longer responsive.

The only way I have found to recover from it is to reboot the router (power it off and back on).  The router itself still seems to be working, only the UI hangs, but still, without the UI I can't add the remaining MAC addresses.

Yes I have verified that it is not a browser issue (happens on both Chrome and Firefox).

I am tempted to try to bridge my old router back into the network so I can use that for my MAC filtering, but would prefer to consolidate into one device if possible.

I'd appreciate any help in resolving this UI hang.  Thanks in advance.

Hey @LarryMenard,

Welcome to our Community Forums!

As a person who doesn't like clutter or tangled wires all over my own desk, I can certainly appreciate wanting to consolidate everything down to 1 piece of hardware.

I ran into a the same situation as yours back when I had the Cisco DPC3825 and wasn't able to find a work around. I may be wrong, but it seems to be a limitation of the gateway. Once I tried to input the 11th entry, I had the same problem, where it wouldn't save my entry and instead would just loop, 'saving the settings'. I had to resort to bridging my modem and using my own Asus router.

I'll tag in a few of our Resident Experts and also invite our Community to chime in to provide some guidance. Realistically though, I think you may need to implement your external router to accomplish what you're looking to do here.

@Datalink @Gdkitty @robindp @gp-se

Kind Regards,

RogersCilio

LarryMenard
I've been here awhile

I have found a *partial* workaround.

By turning off the Device Filtering (setting it to "Allow All"), I was able to enter the remaining device entries.

But then when I re-enable the filtering, it just hangs again, just like before.

@LarryMenard wrote:

I have found a *partial* workaround.

By turning off the Device Filtering (setting it to "Allow All"), I was able to enter the remaining device entries.

But then when I re-enable the filtering, it just hangs again, just like before.

@LarryMenard

I believe this is a firmware bug. However with MAC Filtering it can easily be bypassed by cloning the MAC address. These best security is WPA2 with AES Encryption, I wouldn't bother with MAC filtering.

squadz
I'm here a lot

I need to set a static ARP for wake on wan in router settings (CODA-4582)

Can you point me to where I can enter it?

I don't see anywhere in the settings to do so.

Hello, @squadz.

Thank you for joining our Community and for your query. Are you trying to set a static IP address to a device? Perhaps you may want to expand on what you are trying to accomplish so we can point you to the relevant settings. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

I'm trying to allow wake on lan/wan.

To do so, I need to port forward 9 to 192.168.1.255 (broadcast address).

It won't let me in the settings. So other option is tricking the router with a static ARP entry, but I don't see that option either.

Basically, I need to set up wake on lan, so if you can help, great!

Hello, @squadz.

Thank you for the more info. The WoL is not a supported feature on our gateway modems. You may want to explore adding a 3rd party router that supports the WoL feature to your network. 

Community - anybody using the WoL feature?

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hi,

On my Hitron CODA-4582U Modem, everytime I go to create a device filter my modem crashes and I have to factory reset it. I am simply trying to allow access only at certain times for a device and it will let me set it up, Save changes, then the whole modem goes down and will only come back if I factory reset it with a pin in the back of the modem.

Hey @Jj37262!

That is most definitely an odd occurrence. I haven't encountered this myself on any available firmware. Can you confirm your modem's firmware revision for us? Does this only occur with this feature specifically, or are there any other settings within the GUI that cause the same issue?

@RogersAndy

vaheo
I've been around

Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering does not work when you switch between different wifi connections

Currently I have Hitron CODA-4582U , I have 2 wifi names one for 2.4G and another for 5G. When I setup a device to be BLOCKED under Security --> Device Filter, it works first , then if you switch the device within the same modem to use a different wifi connection or direct LAN connection this filter will no longer be working. Any help , I dont want to use the filter under wifi setting because I want to block the device no matter if its connected via wifi or Ethernet (direct connect).

Hello, @vaheo

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to have the ability to control what devices are connected to your home network and when. 

We've made it easier to accomplish this task by using the Rogers MyWiFi app for Android and iOS devices. You can download it in the respective App stores.

Please check out our Knowledge Base article on Pause or Block a Device’s Internet Access Using the MyWiFi App.

RogersTony

Topic Stats