cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGNM-3552, DDNS, Port Forwarding

cv2000
I've been here awhile

Hi there, I've just switched to Rogers and am using RDP to access my computer when travelling (it has always worked in the past). Connection is sporatic using the DDNS domain while no probs with IP. Details below... Any thoughts? Thanks, Chris

I have:

• Set up DDNS and confirmed proper public IP is registered.
  • Set up port forwarding to PC using custom port.
  • Set DNS to manually point to Google DNS.

When traveling, I am experiencing:

• Intermittent connection success when using FQN from DDNS (works for 5-10 min, doesn't work for 5-10, repeat).
  • 100% connection success when using public IP address.

Other notes:

• I'm experiencing same behaviour with another port forwarding app (different port and protocol).
  • I've triple checked DDNS has right public IP registered.
  • I've tried with DNS set to "Auto" as well.
  • Perhaps unrelated but I note that there is often a "connect" error when DDNS manual update is selected (but correct IP is already registered with DDNS provider).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron CGNM-3552, DDNS, Port Forwarding

cv2000
I've been here awhile

Mystery solved. Indeed a DNS issue with the DDNS provider that has now been resolved. Thanks for everyone's help. Chris

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @cv2000

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting! Smiley Happy

Are you experiencing any issues with your connection when you are at home?

Any insight here @Datalink or @Gdkitty?

RogersPrasana

cv2000
I've been here awhile

Hi there and thanks! All is working well at home. Inbound, outbound work great. I've also tested RDP at home using the IP address (as am on the same network). Anything else I should be poking at?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When external, and doing it directly via the IP.. there are no issues at all? Connects fine, stays connected, etc?

I wonder if its something specifically with the DDNS service then?

As i dont think rogers as a whole, etc isnt blocking anything.
If they were, would be per protocol or similar.. would likely be happening with via directly IP as well as DDNS.

I myself have a small web server at home for testing, as well as 1-2 other services.
I use a DDNS from no-ip.com, and never have any issues with it.

cv2000
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the feedback. Yep - the IP based access works fine. I literally sit there with two windows - one with IP and one with domain name. It only goes South when using the FQN (happens to be from NO-IP as well). And it is intermittent. Happens with SIP and RDP... (I did have SIP ALG cleared by @communityhelps).

My gut is it is a DNS thing...

Actually just tried pinging and looks indeed to be a DNS issue as the No-IP domain resolves to different IP addresses every few minutes. I will investigate this angle...

Really appreciate all the advice... Thanks, Chris

cv2000
I've been here awhile

Mystery solved. Indeed a DNS issue with the DDNS provider that has now been resolved. Thanks for everyone's help. Chris

mikeman123
I've been here awhile

I've been trying to open a port on my CGNM3552 router (which I recently installed). It's for the Plex Media Server. However, despite following all the rules on portforward.com, the port remains closed. I'm not sure if this is related, but my devices aren't able to locate the PMS since I got this new router. I've tried just about everything, read dozens of threads on this and other sites, and cannot find a solution. Any things I can try?

OK, lets go through everything, just to make sure its set up correctly.
I am a BIG PMS user, and have mine up and going, so I hopefully can help.

I dont have this exact model router, but the config should be the same (and i know mine works, so Rogers isnt blocking it, etc)

First question.  What port are you using?
Default 32400? or another?  I am using the default, and it works.

In the port forwarding section, you will want to set up as similar:

Application Name Public Private Protocol Local IP Address Remote IP Address      
PLEX 32400~32400 32400~32400 TCP 192.168.0.111 Any

Obviously, with your internal address of your machine running PMS in the local IP address spot.
You will want to make sure the device with the PMS has a static IP (that its not changing).

Now, while internal, you will not be able to ping/check, etc that port specifically via your external IP (the rogers modems dont support loopback)  Though while internal,  your devices should connect to the server internally.

But with the above setup.. it SHOULD connect.
The remote access section in the settings, should then show that its connected out properly.

ONLY other thing i can think of.. is that there is maybe a bug specific to the firmware on that model modem.
What firmware does it list as running on the modem?

mikeman123
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the response. I'm using the 32400 port (and set it to manual on PMS). I set up a static IP address for the computer running PMS. My settings in the modem are exactly the same as yours. Firmware version is 4.5.8.21.

(Not related, but I fixed the issue I was having with other devices not finding the PMS on the LAN by making sure my computer was discoverable in W10 settings)

Any other ideas?

In the server settings.. its showing THERE that its not visible to the outside?

Your loging into your plex account on both devices.. the server and what your connecting from.

Your checking the external, say from a phone on cellular, etc? (or a pc on another internet connection).

My only other guess.. is there is something up with that particular firmware version.
Going to try and bring in @Datalink in on this one.

Do you think that it might be a good idea for mikeman123 to get in on the other firmware version?

I have an IP Cam with static ip on port 9001.  I can't get CGNM-3552 router port to open.  I have No-IP ddns set up with hostname.  I used my external data to check if port 9001 is open, no luck? I'm on firmware 4.5.8.19, I've requested a firmware update.  Note,  I've had ports opened with DD-WRT  router, with CGNM  in bridge mode.   My DD-WRT is giving me issues,  looking into having CGNM foward my port.  Any ideas? 

I received a firmware update 4.5.8.22,  still the ports don't open.  must be CGNM-3552 modem. 

@tombgoodu Perhaps using a third party router is the only option.

Jadams92
I've been here awhile

Hello community. I recently got call of duty world war 2 for ps4. The connection says the NAT type is moderate or strict which does not allow me to connect with my friends. So i tried to log in to my router and port forward certain ports but the router will not let me save them. I was wondering if anyone has any solution so I can use the port forwarding section and have them save? I have the Hitron router, model name -CGNM-3552. Any help would be much appreciated !!

Hi @Jadams92,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for your post!

As a fellow console gamer, I know how important it is to be able to game with friends online. 

I have a CGNM-3552 at home, and was able to successfully forward ports. Can you clarify exactly what's happening when you try to save? Are you receiving any sort of error message? One thing I might suggest, would be to add one port at a time, and try to save after each entry. 

Please keep us posted!

RogersShaun

Jadams92
I've been here awhile

Hey thanks for your reply. When I save each port individually it works but then I reload the page and the ports that I had added are not there anymore. The website also times out really fast randomly which becomes a nuisance. The main port I need is 3074 and I have a program called Demonware Port mapping that is using it. Don't quite know what it is but I've tried changing that port and an error comes up saying "Error, Saving failed". So I am unsure as to what to do? I've tried connected my console via wired to see if that would change and it is still the same issues

@Jadams92 wrote:

Hey thanks for your reply. When I save each port individually it works but then I reload the page and the ports that I had added are not there anymore. The website also times out really fast randomly which becomes a nuisance. The main port I need is 3074 and I have a program called Demonware Port mapping that is using it. Don't quite know what it is but I've tried changing that port and an error comes up saying "Error, Saving failed". So I am unsure as to what to do? I've tried connected my console via wired to see if that would change and it is still the same issues

You aren't the only person with the page timing out. There was post with another member having the same issue of the page timing out when you try and port forward. 

jiib
I've been around

I have a problem concern with Xbox One X for Rainbow Six Siege. I need to make a port foward with my routeur but i don't know how I asked to ubisoft they told me to check with my internet company and i contact rogers but not able to help me with that routeur can somebody help me please

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 in conversation