Hitron CGN3, Xbox and NAT

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3, Xbox and NAT

No way man, 

I have tried everything and i do mean EVERYTHING concievable.  

Nat filter (non existent but if it did it would probably rectify the issue) , upnp (the CGN3's is not very good) , DMZ, port forwarding /triggering, hardwired/wireless, SIP ALG, firewall, firmware, bridging, etc.

Unfortunately the CGN3 just isnt cut out for multiple Xbones. 

We are basically expecting a car to fly. It just does not work. 

I will be purchasing one of the routers either mentioned in this thread or in the xbox forums. 

If you end up going down to ONE console, I highly recommend port forwarding easy to do and about a million how to's and youtube videos on how to do it.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Also you cant DMZ and port forward at same time, I would say it would be a good idea to have your gateway "reset" to default settings and just do straight port forwarding
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just going to correct that a little for anyone reading later.

you cant port forward to a device in the DMZ

But you can still port forward to other devices

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

You will need to setup port triggering for port 3074 (UDP and TCP). This is not supported by rogers high speed techs, so you will have to do it on your own or get help from the game system manufacturers.
I've Been Around

I have a Hitron CGN3AMR modem and use it wirelessly to play on my Xbox 360. Currently the NAT type is moderate and I want to open it. How would I go about doing this?

I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone who is attempting to open their NAT for any console; first you have to disable UPNP, then setup your port forwarding and use DHCP reservation, then reboot the gateway. I found this works on all the cgn gateways. Never use UPNP, port forwarding and DMZ as it is trying to open ports, and I think it gets confused or something. Hopefully this helps anyone else who is having NAT issues.
I'm a Regular

Looks like the new coda modem with firmware .20 supports open Nat on our Xbox one consoles
I've Been Here Awhile

It seems Rogers is really starting to suck at customer service and the hardware they supply their customers with. Only way to make a statement is to leave.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Xbox now allows manual port assignment.

The latest Xbox "Fall Update" which was released today allows you to assign a manual port for Xbox live. 

No need for UPNP anymore or multiple ports being forwarded. 

I shut down all my rules for XBOX and only left port 3074 open and I had an OPEN NAT.

I remember someone needing help with multiple Xboxs on the same network and this will solve that problem. Just assign each Xbox a different port and forward those in your router pointing to the correct Xbox and everything should be fine. 

manulaportxbox-001.jpg
Some text i found on REDDIT.

"Alternate multiplayer port selection: Under Network settingsAdvanced settings there's a new button labeled Alternate port selection. For home networks where UPnP is problematic or unavailable and where multiple Xbox consoles are present, customers can now select an alternate port for multiplayer and chat to use. The default port for Xbox multiplayer and chat is UDP 3074, and when working around NAT issues you can set up either port forwarding or port triggering for this port & protocol to open up the NAT type for a single console. However, this option is only available to one console at a time if all consoles are using UDP 3074. With this new option, you can select a different UDP port from a drop down menu for each console so that you can setup port forwarding rules for each console on your home network. When the console binds to the new port, it will also attempt to port map via UPnP on this new port in case the UPnP issues with the home router are intermittent."

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Woohoo, about time.  Hopefully this will resolve a good number of problems with XBox use.  Great post !!

What's New
Topic Stats