cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook pictures & video being blocked???

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Hi there.

Since this past Sunday, I've noticed that my Facebook news-feed pictures and video are not showing up. I've confirmed this when using Facebook at home on my iPads, iPhones and PC's. I also confirmed this with my wife's Facebook account.

When using my iPhone, if I turn off the WiFi and use my LTE service, I can see the Facebook pictures and videos again.

The router that we are using is the Asus RT-AC87U running on the latest firmware. Both our Rogers CODA modem and router have been rebooted several times with no affect.

Is it possible that Rogers is blocking my Facebook pictures / video? Or could this be something that my router is blocking without me knowing?

All of our other apps/programs/social media sites are functioning as per usual. Only Facebook seems to be having these issues.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

I've reported this issue to Facebook already and will be contacting Rogers tech-support shortly to see if they are aware of this issue.

Thank you.

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Facebook pictures & video being blocked???

Thanks @heckbob for confirming.

Our network operations team implemented a fix yesterday afternoon but ran into some additional issues and had to finish the work overnight to minimize potential disruptions.

Dave

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Radar2000 wrote:

Hi there.

Since this past Sunday, I've noticed that my Facebook news-feed pictures and video are not showing up. I've confirmed this when using Facebook at home on my iPads, iPhones and PC's. I also confirmed this with my wife's Facebook account.

When using my iPhone, if I turn off the WiFi and use my LTE service, I can see the Facebook pictures and videos again.

The router that we are using is the Asus RT-AC87U running on the latest firmware. Both our Rogers CODA modem and router have been rebooted several times with no affect.

Is it possible that Rogers is blocking my Facebook pictures / video? Or could this be something that my router is blocking without me knowing?

All of our other apps/programs/social media sites are functioning as per usual. Only Facebook seems to be having these issues.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

I've reported this issue to Facebook already and will be contacting Rogers tech-support shortly to see if they are aware of this issue.

Thank you.

***EDITED LABELS***

@Radar2000

You might try a factory reset on the modem as I am unaware of any current issue with facebook images. Find the reset hold and use something like a paper clip to press in. Hold it a minimum of 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing. Too short a time will just reboot the modem. After the reset, connect to the easy connect network, complete the setup, logon to the modem using cusadmin and the password you set for wifi and bridge the modem for use with your router.

Brian

Radar2000
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the response Brian.

I'll give that a try and will advise.

Cheers!

@Radar2000

Change your DNS servers and try again, since you run your CODA in bridge modem you have to log in to the ASUS Router and change the DNS servers there. 

I would use either google or opendns for testing.

Google:

ipv6: 

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

opendns:

ipv6:

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

restart any computer after making the changes in the router so they pickup the new DNS servers. 

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

@gp-se.

Thanks for your response. I'm not actually in bridge mode.

I've applied the new DNS settings into the Coda modem, but I can't figure out how to add the ipv6 digits. Your additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I wonder if thats along the right track.

I know with having the modem NOT in bridge mode, caused some wierd stuff to happen with IPv6 sites sometimes.. not behaving as normal.

Unfortunately, i dont think most of the IPv6 settings, like the DNS, are changeable right now in the modem itself.

Might be better overall, to swap over to bridge mode, if possible?

Radar2000
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the response @Gdkitty.

I was able to change the DNS in the CODA modem, but unfortunately still the same issue.

I will try and put this into bridge mode to see if this solves anything.

I may also try a DNS flush to see if that resolves anything.

I've confirmed that this issue only happens when I get home and access Facebook using my network. I don't have any of these issues when using other networks like my work and public WiFi locations.

Another observation is when I try to access Facebook from my laptop. At first I get an error message that it took too long to reach to facebook.com...but then it finally loads, but without pictures/video on my news-feed.

Has anyone here experienced this before? If so, how did you resolve this?

I appreciate any continued support / suggestions.

Cheers!

Generally with stuff like that.. it usually is a DNS resolving issue.

Obviously not the page, browser, app.. since works elsewhere.

I am using the CODA modem.. and dont have any issues.

BUT.. i am in bridged mode.  
My router is using the default rogers DNS though for most things.. so my phone for example, will pick up the rogers DNS.
But my PC is statically set to the google DNS.

Makes me thing its something more specific to the CODA routing functions.?

@Radar2000

@Radar2000 wrote:
Thanks for the response @Gdkitty.

I was able to change the DNS in the CODA modem, but unfortunately still the same issue.

I will try and put this into bridge mode to see if this solves anything.

I may also try a DNS flush to see if that resolves anything.

I've confirmed that this issue only happens when I get home and access Facebook using my network. I don't have any of these issues when using other networks like my work and public WiFi locations.

Another observation is when I try to access Facebook from my laptop. At first I get an error message that it took too long to reach to facebook.com...but then it finally loads, but without pictures/video on my news-feed.

Has anyone here experienced this before? If so, how did you resolve this?

I appreciate any continued support / suggestions.

Cheers!

disable ipv6 on the CODA, just use ipv4 and the DNS servers I posted, and connect the computer directly to the CODA and see what happens. Also if you are using the ASUS the CODA must be put into bridge mode, because you will have a double NAT if you use the Asus and CODA in gateway mode

heckbob
I plan to stick around

I'm getting the same thing.  ROGERS, please fix this issue!!!

Well from the posts, since multiple devices are affected and only while on the home network, I would have to agree that this is a modem/rogers connection issue. Doing some research it was mentioned time/date settings. I might try setting the modems time to the correct time. Some of the research indicated disabling IPV6. Last of all was the DNS server settings as mentioned previously. If anything was altered from the default in the modem, I would still factory reset the modem as a final step.

Brian

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's experiencing this issue.

I did put my CODA into bridge mode last night, but unfortunately it's still not displaying any of my pictures or videos.

I'll try to disable ipv6 but now that my CODA is in bridge mode I can't access my admin panel. I'll need to call tech support for this.

Another thing that I have noticed is that this is also affecting my Instagram app too. All pictures/videos are either blurred out or not displaying.

As a recap here's what I have done so far from a trouble shooting perspective:

- submitted a support request from Facebook... not even a peep from them

- contacted Rogers tech support... said they see no issues on their end

- confirmed that my Asus router is running the latest firmware

- factory reset my Asus router

- confirmed that there are no firewalls rules applied to Facebook on my router

- confirmed that Facebook is not blacklisted on my router

- confirmed that ipv6 is not enabled on my router

- placed my Rogers CODA modem into bridge mode

- changed DNS to google on router

- performed DNS flush

A co-worker of mine sent me a google search result... https://m.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10100214862890089

"...that's probably because your DNS resolves the Akamai CDN server, used by facebook to fetch images, to an IP address that is not reachable from your network. You may want to get the IP address of facebook CDNs used by your computer at the time this happens and contact your network administrator to find the reason behind the IP blockage (may be because of firewall). Other than that, you can try changing your DNS in your system settings which might give you an IP address that works for your network."

I'm going to contact Rogers tech support again and may escalate this further.

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Update...

I just got off the phone with Rogers tech support and spoke with a great rep. He reviewed my issue and had confirmed that there is an apparent hub issue in my area that is also affecting 15 other customers who have called in with the same Facebook issue. A ticket has been opened and the Rogers network team will be currently investigating/resolving this issue.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of this issue. I ask that anyone else with similar issues please to provide their findings as well.

Cheers! 

@Radar2000 wrote:

Update...

I just got off the phone with Rogers tech support and spoke with a great rep. He reviewed my issue and had confirmed that there is an apparent hub issue in my area that is also affecting 15 other customers who have called in with the same Facebook issue. A ticket has been opened and the Rogers network team will be currently investigating/resolving this issue.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of this issue. I ask that anyone else with similar issues please to provide their findings as well.

Cheers! 

Well I'm not seeing that alert. Didn't see in your list that you attempted a factory reset either. So I'm not quite sure what they were noting as an area problem. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Brian

heckbob
I plan to stick around

Thank you Radar2000

I haven't had the time to sit with Rogers tech support and go through the motions.

I'm in Mississauga, are you as well?

heckbob
I plan to stick around
and do you have a ticket # you can share with this post?

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

@heckbob... Yes, I'm located in Mississauga... around the Churchill Meadows area. Whereabouts in Mississauga are you?

Unfortunately I didn't request for a ticket#. As soon I receive a notification I'll let you know.

Cheers!

heckbob
I plan to stick around
Yes! Churchill Meadows. I really want to thank you for taking the time to get Rogers to acknowledge this issue!

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
In oshawa not having any issue

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Just confirmed with neighbors that they are having the same Facebook and Instagram issues as I have described above. They are going to open a ticket with Rogers. 

@borford, this is obviously a Rogers neighbourhood issue and hopefully Rogers can properly communicate this issue within their tech support team so that when customers call in, they can quickly identify the issue and send out a team to resolve. 

Cheers!

marktcaar
I plan to stick around
I too am in Churchill Meadows. Same issue with Facebook and Instagram. This started on Sunday June 4th. Even replaced Router today. No fix.
Topic Stats