FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@User1445713

I am having the DHCP table performance tested but as for having to reboot in order to apply changes... that is a known bug that is on our list. Unfortunately it has not made it to the top to be fixed yet but i understand how annoying this is and will do my best to get it fixed.

Cheers,
RogersSergio

Project Manager
Project Manager

@WestPoint

I am having the DHCP reservation table looked at again.

As for the Wifi capability... they support 802.11ac, pretty sure there is a hardware requirement to support 802.11ad but i will see if i can find out.

That said... I know I will likely get some flack with this but here we go... 

Rogers always tries to push for the best devices available from an internet provider but we will never be able to keep pace with the routers available in retail.

Retail routers go for hundreds of dollars (without a modem... that is sometimes forgotten, our unit has a ~$100 modem built in) and change every year; they are sold and expectation of support is a little different than it is for provider equipment.

We are also looking from the perspective of a device to meet the needs of the majority of our customers (and we try to sneak in a bit more) so we tend to look to adopt the most up to date proven technology (within reason... there is always a budget component that needs to be taken into consideration Smiley Happy)

For your particular situation it looks like you have specific needs you are looking to meet and I am not sure I would be able to commit to delivering a device that meets these needs in what you would likely consider a reasonable amount of time.

Don't get me wrong... what I want is to get feedback from customers like yourself that are technical and push the limits of our devices... that said I also understand that sometimes meeting those needs may be slightly beyond our capabilities in the short term.

RogersSergio

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersSergio 

Thanks for all the info..... As for the 802.11ac, if the CODA does support it, any idea when it may be released? 
Im assuming after the other kinks are worked out, but wondering if the plan is detailed enough yet to know if it will be activated before or after docsis 3.1 on the upstream is opened up. Also, why would it matter about wifi device count? is the DHCP limited on the WIFI device side and just not on the Ethernet side?

As for switching routers, I may still consider another router just to handle everything more my speed and consistancy, but if Hitron is sure it can handle the 252 main addresses without fail, than Ill keep trying to push the CODA to its limits for your testing. When Im frustrated, its nice too know my efforts arent for nothing and that they arn't ignored.

When it comes to my network, unfortunately, I have a kind of extreme setup going on, and its about to get worse this year as I finsih my renovations and install even more than what I already have. To give you a better idea, and maybe this info will help out much more, below is a faily acurate list of my current internet requiring items, not complete, its off the top of my head and without running around to get a fully counting of everything the is FORSURE online, but it is a representaion of the complication of my network setup.

Currently, on Wifi;

Hue Light Bulbs - approx. 34
Wall Switches - 6
Phones - 5
Laptops - 4
Thermostats - 4
Tablets - 2
Voice Controlers - 3
Game Consoles - 2
Firestick/Chrome Cast - 4

Wired Connections 

Desktop Computers - 3
Smart TVs - 2
Printers - 3
Smart Hubs - 5
Consoles - 2
HDDs - 2
Security Cameras - 12

Now the Cameras at the end there, are not all running just yet, but they will be once the weather in TO clears up some, this freezing rain is putting me back 2 weeks now... BUT they are Network Cameras, using POE, and they are 4K UHD Color Nightvision Lorex Cameras, and they will require a stable network with static IPs that I would prefer to set within the DHCP should I choose to change the IP range at any time to add or change other devices, and I would rather not connect to each camera and have to set it manually to change them.

SO YA......

Like I said, I have an extensive setup going on, I've decide to do my entire property, almost, in color chaning hue bulbs, and changing every light switch to voice controled for on and off as well as the color, my furnace, basement fireplace, and two heated bathroom floors have wifi thermostats, and the list goes on....

My best guess so far, is in a previous post, that possibly the CODA is dropping "sleeping" clients and then not assigning them correctly again afterwords or giving out the reserved IP to another device instead, which I just flat out cannot explain.

Anyways, Ill keep posting anything relevant I come up with this week and then Ill do my network shut down and restart of everything, which basically means I turn off my house main breaker, run around and unplug everything, and then turn on the power with nothing but the CODA and my laptop running, delete the current reservations table, reboot the CODA, recreate the reservations table, reboot the CODA again, and then begin pluggin in my devices power again and reconnecting WIFI devices... basically a few hour routine lol....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@WestPointwrote:

@RogersSergio 

Thanks for all the info..... As for the 802.11ac, if the CODA does support it, any idea when it may be released? 

The CODA already has released support for 802.11ac on the 5G band.

I Plan to Stick Around

@DavidPCwrote:

@WestPointwrote:

@RogersSergio 

The CODA already has released support for 802.11ac on the 5G band.

I think he meant 802.11ad but we should all be happy with Wave 2 802.11ac as 802.11ad will have limited applications and is a while away from a consumer based offering at Roger's scale.

I Plan to Stick Around

@DavidPC @blues_clues No, I meant 802.11ac, but I didnt realize until after I posted it that it was broadcasting on 5Ghz already... Thats great although I havnt really noticed any increase in my wifi streaming speed on 5G, if anything its just abit better but the distance covered os actually worse than when I first got the CODA.

Anywho, yes I realize 8/02.11ad is not very commoon right now and most devices still wont even support it, I was just curious if Rogers had any plans to upgrade a-head of the times and have the capabilities available when/if people want them, but its not a big issue in any way.

@RogersSergio I have taken a look at my DHCP abit, and noticed that the DHCP seems to have a real issue when the CODA reboots, mostly due to power flicker the last few days in Toronto, but when the CODA reboots BUT none of the connected devices reboot, so my desktops and hubs and ethernet switches all stay running, the CODA DHCP just doesnt seem to find everything afterwords.

Last night for example, after a power flicker I lost my WIFI and checked my devices, but my computers and switches hadnt turned off, just the CODA reset, and after it boot back up, my network deviceds connected directly to the CODA came back up without issue, but the devices connected thru my switches, including my additional WIFI router at the other end of my property, setup as a slave and not running a DHCP, just using it as a switch and additional WIFI with its own separate SSID so there is no arguments between networks, anyway, the devices connected there, and the WIFI connection from that router was lost. Even after an hour after the CODA reboot, alkl devices had no internet, no IPs, nothing, but the power was on and nothing changed except the CODA reboot.

I have yet to fully reboot this other router as its in a hard position to get too at the moment, but after I do so, I expect everything to come back fine, and Ill check the DHCP to see if my devices on that end of the network are recieving the correct IPs as well as the devices connected thru my DLink 24-port gigabit switch and those directly to the CODA. Im just not sure when Ill be able to reset it this week. Hopfully Ill have some more detailed diagnostics for you this week.

I Plan to Stick Around

@WestPointwrote:

@RogersSergio I have taken a look at my DHCP abit, and noticed that the DHCP seems to have a real issue when the CODA reboots, mostly due to power flicker the last few days in Toronto, but when the CODA reboots BUT none of the connected devices reboot, so my desktops and hubs and ethernet switches all stay running, the CODA DHCP just doesnt seem to find everything afterwords.

Last night for example, after a power flicker I lost my WIFI and checked my devices, but my computers and switches hadnt turned off, just the CODA reset, and after it boot back up, my network deviceds connected directly to the CODA came back up without issue, but the devices connected thru my switches, including my additional WIFI router at the other end of my property, setup as a slave and not running a DHCP, just using it as a switch and additional WIFI with its own separate SSID so there is no arguments between networks, anyway, the devices connected there, and the WIFI connection from that router was lost. Even after an hour after the CODA reboot, alkl devices had no internet, no IPs, nothing, but the power was on and nothing changed except the CODA reboot.

I have yet to fully reboot this other router as its in a hard position to get too at the moment, but after I do so, I expect everything to come back fine, and Ill check the DHCP to see if my devices on that end of the network are recieving the correct IPs as well as the devices connected thru my DLink 24-port gigabit switch and those directly to the CODA. Im just not sure when Ill be able to reset it this week. Hopfully Ill have some more detailed diagnostics for you this week.

Your devices rebooting, if I am understanding you correctly, has nothing to do with the CODA reboot.  The DHCP service maintains a table based on all the devices that initiated a DHCP request.  Your devices rebooting and losing link status is totally independent.  All the devices connected to your switch will not re-issue a DHCP request unless they lose link status or the lease time reaches half of the full lease.  I would suggest you reboot your switch and for long term, reduce your DHCP lease to 1 or 2 hours.  DHCP traffic is very small and won't impact your network performance.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersSergio thank you for update regarding CODA modem features.

I'm sure the objective of modem is functionality of residential router / gateway keeping cost in mind.

This is what we are asking for. We are not after VPN commercial router with management functions.

All we need is working DHCP with ability to forward ports to dedicated devices. We just need to check the status of network camera, thermostat, wake up computer, do Remote Desktop, etc. Nothing too complex that would require additional sophisticated router or secondary DHCP on home network. I should be able to log in to my NAS using http://WDMYCLOUD as per WD instructions rather than trying to figure out IP number from CODA connected device list.

So we have couple of simple issues that prevent this from working smoothly:

1. DHCP reservation table is not working. It takes the name, MAC address and predefined IP but it does not assign the correct IP. In the Connected Devices table the device in question will have random IP from the bottom of the pool with "DHCP Reserved" label beside it.

2. Devices are dropped from connected devices list within 30s when in stand by mode with reduced speed 10Mbps. This makes it impossible to send a Magic Packet to computer from the Internet to wake it up.

Hard reboots after DHCP table update is annoying but it works. The 2 issues above don't work.

The table with rules for forwarding port number is also getting crowded with apps like Skype, WD NAS Cloud, printers and custom sets. Maybe we are running out of memory or something similar causing those issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm really happy with the amount of work and attention you're putting into fixing these bugs!

I Plan to Stick Around

Two recent observations:

* 2.0.10.28T2 shipped with my device and did not update for the last 4 months until I enrolled in the trial program

2.0.10.33T11 was first pushed to my modem (last night) and has substantially improved my internet reliability

Outstanding question: why wasn't the more recent firmware pushed?

Previously, I was struggling with latency (~30ms) and inconsistent throughputs (max speeds of 80mbps to 400mbps). Now after the firmware update my latency has halved (~15ms) and my max throughput can see > 900mbps.

I have a set of scripts that poll the modem for changes in levels. Again since the firmware update the levels have substantially improved. As an example, my upstream (which I care more about because of regular use of video conference calls for work)

before:

{"frequency":"23700000","signalStrength":"29.000","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"5"}
{"frequency":"38596000","signalStrength":"31.500","bandwidth":"3200000","channelId":"6"}
{"frequency":"30596000","signalStrength":"29.500","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"4"}

after:

{"frequency":"23700000","signalStrength":"33.750","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"5"}
{"frequency":"38596000","signalStrength":"36.500","bandwidth":"3200000","channelId":"6"}
{"frequency":"30596000","signalStrength":"34.000","bandwidth":"6400000","channelId":"4"}

(I've been logging signal changes to slack for the last year so I've got a pretty solid history with the CGN3 and now the CODA4582)

Still, it's frustrating that a firmware update would have solved my recent challenges and that I was using a firmware version that was months out of date.

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)