Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hello @Datalink and others

I am hoping someone can help me with this observation.  I was running some port scans and notice that the following ports are not filtered/stealth:

22 CLOSED ssh
23 CLOSED telnet
80 CLOSED http
135 CLOSED DCE Endpoint Resolution
443 CLOSED https
445 CLOSED Microsoft Directory Service
1723 CLOSED pptp

Is there a way to filter these requests so that the ports behave the way the others do?

Thanks

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161 wrote:

Hello @Datalink and others

I am hoping someone can help me with this observation.  I was running some port scans and notice that the following ports are not filtered/stealth:

22 CLOSED ssh
23 CLOSED telnet
80 CLOSED http
135 CLOSED DCE Endpoint Resolution
443 CLOSED https
445 CLOSED Microsoft Directory Service
1723 CLOSED pptp

Is there a way to filter these requests so that the ports behave the way the others do?

Thanks

Most likely these ports are open for Rogers to manage the modems.  The IP addresses allowed to access these ports are limited to Rogers infrastructure addresses.  Since your port scans' source address is not part of Rogers, they appear as open but, "closed", due to no access available from the source address. (packets are not returned to the source address)

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@blues_clues

Thank you for your reply.  I think these can still be put to stealth and still allow Rogers to connect to the modem as needed.  Has anyone been able to do this?

Thanks

@RogersBob I gave you my MAC address but you never messaged me back or anything is everything okay ?

vulture
I plan to stick around

I am still sitting at 2.0.10.33T3. Is there anything else other than enrolling I should do to get 2.0.10.33T03 ?

It has been few weeks now and I come across wifi auth bug in particular on 5ghz band

vulture
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

I have enabled use of DFS 5ghz spectrum range on CODA -4582U for testing and observed a slowdown.

My PC seems to be not impacted from this however it appears that my smart tv where it used to be able to connect ~100mbps is now barely reaching to ~10mbps.

Is this drawback expected on DFS range or is this a bug with the firmware ?

Thanks

@vulture, the upper 5 Ghz channels run a maximum of 1 watt for output power, the lower channels run either 50 or 200 milli-watts, depending on when any given device was approved by Industry Canada.  The DFS channels are restricted to 250 mw.  So, the end result of using either the lower channels or DFS channels is a reduced range from the modem or router, compared to what you would see with channels 149 to 165.

https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-band-channel-availability-in-canada

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Very gratfefull for the WIFI atuh fix, but now TT03 is lagging hard...
I for 3 straight days, I cant get a successfull speed test on Ookala......

speed.jpg

Getting "socket error" on the upload test, but interestingly, its only after the download is successfull and the upload hits about 22 Mbps, then it just dies, completely.... Im guessing this is why I cant even upload documents to my services and get my work down, and why every game I try on my Xbox is like pulling teeth just to login and I never end up online

Can someone look into whats going on here?

Good morning @WestPoint!

Fellow gamer to the rescue here! Have you tried Monster Hunter World yet? It's awesome!

We should run some tests on our end before we make a judgement call as to whether or not this is firmware related.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can get started. You can find instructions on how to PM us here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersCorey acctually no, i havnt been able to play any games, PC or Xbox, at least not in any stable fashion, since I got the CODA modem last year!!

I've even gone as far as upgrading last year to 250Mbps and now to 1.0Gbps and I STILL barely get a stable connection anywhere, even netflix.

Example... If my desktop, wired cat6e, about 10ft cable between modem and computer, is running... Windows 10, 16GB ram, 1Gbps network card and connection status... anyways, if Im watching Netflix on it, I CANNOT get online for more than a few min anywhere, esspecially my Xbox One S, also cat6e wired but on a 75ft line..... just will start too buffer in netflix, or start connecting to a game such as Fort Nite and once it gets going, into the show or game, ill get maybe 5min before it dropps and im booted from the game server or netflix just stops and begins buffering again, somtimes for a while and then comes back grainy for upto 3min after.

Whenn it comes to my upload errors on my pc as I posted before, strange thing is, after 3 days of getting that error on EVERY test i ran on speedtest.net, as soon as I posted it here, about 10min later I did another one, and it was fine, my upload hit 32Mbps and hasnt crashed.

Now im noticing im maxing out my download speeds, only getting about 450Mbps on anything I try, and even my cell phone, the newLG V30,  has a network card capable of 750Mbps and I can only get about 250 on 5Ghz standing like 6ft from the modem, my desktop maxing at 450 and my Xbox getting abuot the same as my cell phone! and again, its got cat6e direct line..... Not to begin to even mention the wifi auth failures that have mostly been resloved, but im still noticing the occational forced dropp off and getting auth error on auto reconnect and having to wait and disable network cards and reboot the modem to fix it.

I guess where Im going with this is... could ALL of this really be a firmware issue? Isnt seem more likely the hardware itself is not up to the task, or somthing in the system is lagging down, like my local S-Hub? I mean, I realize the wifi drops are probaly firmware or somthing not being able to handle a DCHP renewaly or somthing correctly, but the speeds coming in on cabled connections should be nearly unrestriced for me now and Im not seeing ANY improvement since I had the Rocket Modem and 100Mbps

Hi @WestPoint.

I definitely want to run some tests here before I speculate any further.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can get started. You can find instructions on how to PM us here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

vulture
I plan to stick around

Hi folks,

I am observing granular speed loss on 5GHz band after push of latest firmware. Did not observe it on previous versions.

This is how story goes;

1. When CODA-4582U is rebooted or wireless service on it rebooted from recycle button on wireless tab, things are great ! I can reach up to 150 mbps on speedtest.

2. Around 30 mins later, for some reason I see a degradation to my speeds down to 5-10 mbps

Above applies in both 80/40mhz widths

No new devices added to network

Observed on both my smart TV and laptop (distance to coda ~20m with 2 wall in between)

I am completely speculating here however , was there a new feature addition (ie.. beam forming) that may adjust QoS as it learns traffic patterns ? anyway I can increase priority to specific devices in my network ?

Thanks

kara2
I plan to stick around

Hello. I have 2.0.10.28T2. Is this the latest version?  I rebooted and I don't see this version even in the list and I want the latest one as my speeds are 150x less than they should be and 5g barely works!

vulture
I plan to stick around
That is default version out of the box. On the 1st page you will find releases in more detail

MF1408
I've been here awhile

@kara2 wrote:

Hello. I have 2.0.10.28T2. Is this the latest version?  I rebooted and I don't see this version even in the list and I want the latest one as my speeds are 150x less than they should be and 5g barely works!

If you want the latest version then call internet customer support and ask them to refer you to level 2 customer supprt...

Level 2 customer support should be able to push the latest firmware to you modem within one hour....

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I have received this e-mail

http://ebm.email.rogers.com/c/tag/hBanwveB7ga6EB9lmdlNsxSfwJx/doc.html?t_params=F0valFo9$TDhAfTV7AUE...

Basically it says:

We're investing in our networks across Canada so that we continue to deliver best-in-class experiences to our customers.Customers like you are doing more online, with an increased number of connected devices and a growing demand for data. In response, we've rolled out the next generation of cable technology across our network for enhanced performance. And, we're increasing capacity and coverage on our wireless network so you'll stay connected, worry-free, in even more places.

Question for @RogersBob , I assume you guys are working on 5G for the wireless, but what I am interested about is the cable internet, what enhancements are you guys working on other than D3.1 on the upstream?

kara2
I plan to stick around

On getting the firmware '2.0.10.33T03' I noticed no fixing in speed, my 5g is still 2 percent of what I should be getting, and 2.4g is giving me half the speed I pay for. 

vulture
I plan to stick around

My issue turned out to be the wireless chipset in my TV !

Let me put it this way.. they claim wireless router should be no more than 10ft away !

That is pathetic for one of the well known manufacturers to say for one of their higher end TV (LG OLED55B7P) !

kara2
I plan to stick around

I now have reason to believe it is my dual band wireless internet adapter. It previously worked well with 5g but not for the CODA. Wired connection works flawless at 200mbps and phone is working well to, just not this computer. 

kara2
I plan to stick around

It turned out to indeed be my internet adapter, it needed updated drivers and it never told me, the old drivers had a critical error that gave usb 2.0 speeds and other stuff, i am so happy its fixed. Im on the 150 plan and am now getting 170 speeds 🙂

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Congrats.   Nice to see that you're able to find the problem.  Fwiw, its still worth looking at the wifi environment to determine if you're able to run the wifi in the upper 5 Ghz range.  The higher power output in the upper channels will or should give you a larger range from the modem or router, and a faster data rate as well.  The combination of higher receive power and higher signal to noise ratios allow the wifi adapters to run more data bits and fewer error correction bits.  That combination of data and error bits is dynamic, changing all the time, but, if you can operate the wifi in the upper channels, then you should see it payoff as the data rate (data bits only) goes up.  Its all a matter of determining who else your competing with and what channels you can use 🙂