Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

I can't believe it that it hasn't rebooted in the last

LAN Up Time	000 days 08h:28m:25s

But will report the next time it does.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I have had the same experience with.33T2. the modem has rebooted twice so far that I know of

ffdhfhf
I plan to stick around

There's new Firmware for Hitron CGN3 - 4.2.4.11. Any further information on what this provides? Nothing in forums mentions 4.2.4.8+ changes.

Thanks.

pacerdjl
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave ,  As promised, here is my report on CODA-4582 firmware 2.0.10.33T2 . Yesterday I noted that there had been one random reboot not long after .33T2 was applied. Over the last 24 hours, there was at least one more (about 18 hours ago). This event does not seem to be in the DOCSIS Event Log, so there could have been another reboot that I was unaware of. Sometimes the reboots happen when the network is very quiet, and sometimes a lot of activity (especially uploads and large file transfer over LAN) seems to push it toward instability, followed soon after by a reboot.

As I have mentioned before, download and upload speeds are solid, latency is pretty good. I am operating the modem in gateway mode. Signal levels are good. Firewall set to minimum. Wireless is just 2.4G, with about 6 devices connected at any given time (mostly 802.11n, but one 802.11g). Three wired connections, including iMac, Sonos bridge, printer. Random reboots did not happen with most previous trial firmware versions.

Basically, I see very little change from .33 . I hope this helps. Thank you for your tireless work toward making the modems better!

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

.33 has been stable with no reboots. However with every new version my upload has gone done. Been on the 1GB plan for a year, download speeds have improved and stable. Used to be under 600, now 800 with spikes of 950. Upload used to be 50-60, then 30-40, a month ago 20-30.....with the .33 it's 5 -10. While upload speed is not critical for me....plan I am paying for is 1000/50. Anyone else with same issue?

tester2013
I plan to stick around

I have been getting reboots on .33T2 every 5 hours on my CODA 4582. @RogersDave can you please downgrade me back to .32?

I have already messaged you the info required.

@tester2013 are you running any type of VPN or upload stream?

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@rjmaxim wrote:

with the .33 it's 5 -10 upload.

Reset to factory FW, and call for tech visit if continues.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

Just a quick update, ive been really busy, but Ill try to get another post this weekend aswell...

I have had another reboot on 33T2, uptime is only about 18.5hrs right now

11/01/2017 17:57:23 69010100 notice SW Download INIT - Via NMS

17 11/01/2017 17:57:55 69011100 notice SW download Successful - Via NMS

18 11/01/2017 22:55:56 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=*******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

19 11/02/2017 01:14:40 82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

20 11/02/2017 21:01:21 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=*******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Still havnt given my Xbox or anything a real test yet, but my netflix takes a long tme to load on all my devices, like, not the menu, but once I select an episode, somtimes almost 5 full min before it begins playing, just sits there with the spinning circle.....

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@Datalink why would you be curious about a VPN???

I have an uptime over 18hrs, with a constant VPN host running (connected devices are off an on as needed), SQL Backup Service, Teamviewer, Quickbooks Server.....

My personal opinon is that these serivces make NO difference to the service coming thru or the modems restarts, except of potential excessive overload issues; But I have, MANY times this year, completly shut down my network for days at a time, and its made no difference, even with 75% of my home devices turned off too, no diffence, still get reboots, lag time, and all kinda of things, its got to be the firmware and network settings conflicting or somthing else with the hardware directly, but in the end, i really dont think a VPN has anything to do with anything

My buddy doesnt have anything complicated on his network, 1 laptop and an Xbox one, and his cell phone, and he gets just as many issues as I do, and hes also in the trial now as well.... I almost take offence to being told a VPN could be causing the issue beacuse Ive done extensive testing on my network and my friends this year to disqualify anything on my end like hardware or software causing my issues....

Well, there is no offense intended here.  But, ... the simple fact is that I can crash a Puma 6 modem within an hour or two simply by running a VPN.  So, keeping that in mind, seeing someone with crash issues, I always keep in mind the possibility of a VPN related cause no matter what Puma modem it happens to be, 6 or 7.  Personal opinion, the Puma series modems have problems with out of the ordinary protocols, ie: anything beyond normal use of ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP.  Any message or protocol type that encapsulates those three protocols, I view with some degree of suspicion when it comes to the Puma modems, both in terms of the modem performance and the possibility of a modem crash.  Thinking like an engineer, if it worked before with the Puma 5 and 6 modems, why would the designers change the approach for the Puma 7 modem?   Never mind the fact that the Puma 6 modem does have issues with out of the ordinary protocols.  

So, that is why I ask the simple question, do you use a VPN?  Ok, you do, but, as you have indicated, you don't believe that it plays a part in this issue.  You might be exactly correct, but, we won't know until the reboot issue has been resolved for everyone, or just about everyone.  At that point in time, it will be time to look at the specific modem usage, including any VPNs that happen to be running and what their base protocol happens to be. 

As I indicated above, no offence intended.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

So, that is why I ask the simple question, do you use a VPN?  Ok, you do, but, as you have indicated, you don't believe that it plays a part in this issue.  You might be exactly correct, but, we won't know until the reboot issue has been resolved for everyone, or just about everyone.  At that point in time, it will be time to look at the specific modem usage, including any VPNs that happen to be running and what their base protocol happens to be. 

You're being far too diplomatic @Datalink .... in GATEWAY mode and due to the nature of the level of integration between all FUNCTIONS -- switch, wireless radios, router, firewall, modem and associated services the load on the CPU has a direct impact on the performance/reliability of the device ::: If one want to have a high level of performance/reliability then one needs to BRIDGE the Gateway [or use a dedicate Modem] and use a proper Router that can deliver on the service requirement. No gateway exists that I am aware of the can deliver performance/reliability of complex services --- VPN's happen to fall into that category. Since Rogers does not offer a dedicated Cable modem then the only option available is to BRIDGE the GATEWAY and use your own reliable ROUTER to do the work needed.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:
it will be time to look at the specific modem usage, including any VPNs that happen to be running and what their base protocol happens to be.

In fact, RogersDave never replied to my very specific direct question, whether they in fact now able to dynamically look at specific modem usage, i.e. getting exact copy of trial participants traffic. Interesting ignorance in such critical issue from privacy & security standpoint.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@arnym21 wrote:

@Datalink wrote:
it will be time to look at the specific modem usage, including any VPNs that happen to be running and what their base protocol happens to be.

In fact, RogersDave never replied to my very specific direct question, whether they in fact now able to dynamically look at specific modem usage, i.e. getting exact copy of trial participants traffic. Interesting ignorance in such critical issue from privacy & security standpoint.

In Gateway mode Rogers can dynamically look at every aspect of your gateway activities ... in Bridge mode Rogers do not have access to your private gateway and the only way to achieve that level of security and privacy is through your own router.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@mozerd

In any mode Rogers can record at the hub the entire traffic passing through the modem, and does record or proxy it under certain circumstances. That's what I was asking RogersDave about - whether they in fact use it for modem failure root cause analysis. In Gateway mode a Rogers tech can also look or scan your LAN layout and have more convenient access to login to connected devices if they wish to, including probably setting a WAN traffic proxy. Those are 2 different ways to do the same thing essentially. But the trial FW makes these things less controllable. Smiley Happy

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@arnym21

What is TR-069?

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

User1445713
I plan to stick around

I'm on 2.0.10.33T2 for 3 full days without reboot. It is a step up from previous 2.0.10.33 where the modem would not last 24h without reboot.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@User1445713 Same here! Currently have 3 days and 21 hours with 0 reboots. I'm not what is the cause of the rebooting, but I'm also not sure why others with .33T2 are still getting reboots. 

Likewise, Dave did say that Hitron is still investigating the cause of the reboots and will report back to us with a new revision of the code sometime soon. 

Not many issues with this version, WiFi is working as intended, signal range is normal, service speeds are up to par, and bufferbloat is very low as it has been since .27. Two complaints though. On this version, under DOCSIS WAN the DHCP Lease Time clock is not working (it is always stuck at 😧 07 H: 00 M: 00 S: 00) and this issue may correspond with the other issue in which DHCP is renewing everyday at exactly 18:00 GMT. 

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

I'm still having random reboot's.

Software Version	2.0.10.33T2

LAN Up Time	000 days 08h:02m:22s

WAN Up Time 	000 days 08h:00m:32s

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Lan Uptime 2 days ,23 hours

There was reboot when first getting .33T2 but now it seems to have stabilized , so an improvement over .33 where it would never last more than 12h.

Nadernt
I plan to stick around

Lan uptime: 000 days 04h:16m:20s

Restart happened today while I was browsing the web. 

2011/05/2017 19:15:3390000000warning

MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=x;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

I'm on .33T2. It's definitely better than the last firmware that would restart every day almost. But this one, I went maybe 3 or 4 days with it before this restart. No idea what it would restart for since firmware didn't update, so the issue may persist with this firmware.