cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device not connecting to the internet

LenilsonLima
I've been here awhile

We have switched from Fido to Rogers a couple of weeks ago and ever since then one of our macbooks is having trouble connecting to the internet. We called tech support last week and all was fine until today when the problem started happening again.

- Device connection is extremely unstable and slow - macbook connects to the wifi network but can't access internet on any browser (Safari, Chrome and Mozilla). When it works, we do a speed test run and it's slow. Then the internet stops again while it's working fine on other devices.
- Modem light is white and stable, macbook is close and in the same room as modem. All other devices connection are fine besides the one macbook.

- We have tried reconnecting the modem and unplugging cables, tried restarting the device to no success.

- Homeconnect app says the device is connected and working even though it's not.

- We have tried forgetting the network and connecting it again, to no success.

We have the Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem (Gen3) - XB8 and the device with the issue is a MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max.

Please help and let us know what to do. The only reason we switched to Rogers was to have a faster connection and we have had no luck so far.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Device not connecting to the internet

LenilsonLima
I've been here awhile

After attempting all the troubleshooting steps you listed without success, I was on the verge of taking my MacBook Pro to an Apple repair shop. However, in a last-ditch effort to resolve my Wi-Fi connection issues, I stumbled upon a crucial setting within the Wi-Fi preferences – the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode.'

It turns out that this setting was the culprit behind all the problems I had been experiencing with my MacBook Pro's Wi-Fi connection. Once I identified it, I promptly disabled the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode.'

The impact was almost immediate and incredibly positive. All the Wi-Fi-related woes that had been plaguing my MacBook Pro simply vanished. My connection became stable and reliable, providing me with the seamless experience I had been longing for.

This experience underscores the importance of exploring all available settings and options when troubleshooting tech issues. Sometimes, the solution lies in an unexpected place. It also serves as a reminder that staying informed about your device's settings and capabilities can be immensely valuable in resolving connectivity problems effectively.

In the future, if you or anyone else encounters similar Wi-Fi troubles on a MacBook Pro, consider checking the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode' setting as a potential resolution, as it made a world of difference in my case.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersJo

Greetings @LenilsonLima

A warm welcome to the Community! We're elated to have you on board with us! 🙌 I'm saddened to hear whats transpiring as I know firsthand how important it is to ensure you stay connected. As you are only experiencing this issue with the sole MacBook, it sounds like it's an isolated incident. With that said, I do have a few questions for you in hopes of getting this issue ironed out:

Is the date and time set correctly on your MacBook?

Have you tried connecting the MacBook via an Ethernet cable? (You may require an adapter to do so) Do you experience the same connectivity issues?

Are you able to try restarting your MacBook? Doing so will then automatically renew the internet address it was assigned when joining the Wi-Fi network. Or you can renew the IP address manually. This is known as renewing the DHCP lease. If the lease has expired and the address is already in use by another device, your Macbook will be assigned a new address.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

RogersJo

LenilsonLima
I've been here awhile

After attempting all the troubleshooting steps you listed without success, I was on the verge of taking my MacBook Pro to an Apple repair shop. However, in a last-ditch effort to resolve my Wi-Fi connection issues, I stumbled upon a crucial setting within the Wi-Fi preferences – the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode.'

It turns out that this setting was the culprit behind all the problems I had been experiencing with my MacBook Pro's Wi-Fi connection. Once I identified it, I promptly disabled the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode.'

The impact was almost immediate and incredibly positive. All the Wi-Fi-related woes that had been plaguing my MacBook Pro simply vanished. My connection became stable and reliable, providing me with the seamless experience I had been longing for.

This experience underscores the importance of exploring all available settings and options when troubleshooting tech issues. Sometimes, the solution lies in an unexpected place. It also serves as a reminder that staying informed about your device's settings and capabilities can be immensely valuable in resolving connectivity problems effectively.

In the future, if you or anyone else encounters similar Wi-Fi troubles on a MacBook Pro, consider checking the 'Wi-Fi 6E Mode' setting as a potential resolution, as it made a world of difference in my case.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 in conversation