Degradation in upload speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Degradation in upload speed

I am in Scarborough (Warden and Danforth) and I was having upload issues.

I have the 500u and my upload was 3-4Mbits but since yesterday everything is normal.

All my uploads are 20-22Mbits. 

I did multiple tests and almost all of them ended up to 20Mbits and a bit above.

My pings are in the range 5-12ms. 

Also I did tests with New York, SF and other US cities apart Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.

Hello @Nadernt,

Thanks for the update on the status of your issue! I can only imagine how frustrating it is to still be having issues weeks later. =(

While many customers have noticed an improvement if there are still users that are experiencing much slower than usual upload speeds please send a Private Message to any of the Moderators or to @CommunityHelps so we can escalate a ticket to further investigate what could be causing the lingering issues. It is possible it could be signal related but we'll need to gain access to your file to be certain.

If you are unfamiliar with our private messaging system please Click Here.

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

I keep having problems with the download.

I'm on 500 u and my download speeds seem to be throttled at 250 Mbps.

I'm in (Downsview, North York, Toronto)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@itssunnyday, I haven't forgotten about you.  We're about a week and a half beyond your original post and beyond the network issues that Rogers was experiencing last week.  Are you still having data rate issues over ethernet or has that been resolved?  

Here's your original post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Degradation-in-upload-speed/m-p/423499#M52627

Looking at your signal data, the downstream DOCSIS 3.0 signal levels are ok but the signal to noise ratios are low.  They should be in a range of 36 to 40 dB.  Those signal to noise ratios are actually an error measurement, and the fact that they are all low indicates some type of ongoing cable or connector problem.  The upstream DOCSIS 3.0 signal levels are ok and are in the range that I would expect to see for a modem that is running DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side. 

The OFDM Downstream section indicates that one OFDM channel is operational, so, you're modem is running DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side.  Normally that would provide very good downstream performance, but, given what is displayed for the DOCSIS 3.0 downstream signal to noise data, I have doubts that that OFDM channel is operating as it should be.  

Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically at the connected port LED, where that port is the one that connects to your computer.  It should be flashing amber, indicating that the port to port connection rate is 1 Gb/s.  If the LED is flashing green, that indicates that the port is running at 10/100 Mb/s.  If that is the case, then there is an ethernet cable problem or the cable isn't connecting properly at either end, or, the pc's ethernet port is set to run at a lower data rate.  You would have to check the ethernet port setting to see what it's set for in terms of connection rates, 10 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s.

When you have that figure out, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  That test might fail automatically.  If so, the CSR will arrange a tech visit to determine what the problem is, and, it might take more than one visit.  If the test passes, ask the CSR if the OFDM data is within spec.  That's a very relevant question if you're still experiencing slow data rates.  If you are, ensure that the CSR understands that.  Even if the signal check passes, if you're getting terrible data rates, that indicates that there is some type of problem that should be looked at.  

For the wifi, can you have a look at the following post regarding wifi settings and checking your wifi environment.  At the present time I would recommend using Acryilic, which is mentioned in that post.  Hopefully, by changing wifi settings if necessary and determining what wifi channels to use, you will be able to improve the wifi performance.  If you live in a crowded wifi environment, that might still be very difficult.  It all depends on the number of nearby wifi modems and routers and their proximity to your home. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I think I spoke too fast

I lost my upload speed again.

For almost a week my upload was 20-21Mbits and since today it went 

down to 10Mbits.

Rogers definately has an issue with the upload

I Plan to Stick Around

My internet seemed to be fixed for about a week now but I'm starting to have problems again. Slow than normal upload speed, high latency and packet loss. This is getting frustrating.

I Plan to Stick Around

Update: Barrie, Ontario. My Internet has been problem free for a little over a week. Download over 200 Mbps and upload 17.3. It has been stable and performing as advertised. Sorry to hear some are still having issues. I've noticed Rogers has given me a credit for the inconvenience and this is much appreciated. Dealing with Rogers from a personal standpoint has always been a good experience for me. Yes, they have had some technical issues from time to time but overall a good solid service. My only request would be for Rogers to be more upfront on the cause of some

of the issues that occur from time to time. Good luck to everyone. Keep reporting and hopefully, you get a resolution to your particular issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

Recently I installed the 500u which has 20Mbits upload and as I have seen so far

some days my upload is not even 10mbits.

Assuming that Rogers will fix the upload problem, I am wondering if there is any plan

for Rogers to increase the upload to something more reasonable i.e 100Mbits.

These days people upload a lot of things.

A connection of 500/100 would be much better.

I Plan to Stick Around

So far my connection has been really stable for the past week or so. Glad that the problems got fixed!

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)

Topic Stats