cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure DNS on Ignite Router

Bismillah
I've been around

I use DnsForFamily to limit exposure to inappropriate websites. For this to automatically work on every device in my network, I need to configure the DNS settings on the router, for IPv4 and IPv6.

Is this possible with the Ignite router/modem? I don't see anything in the admin interface, or in the Rogers HomeConnect app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Configure DNS on Ignite Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bismillah wrote:

I use DnsForFamily to limit exposure to inappropriate websites. For this to automatically work on every device in my network, I need to configure the DNS settings on the router, for IPv4 and IPv6.

Is this possible with the Ignite router/modem? I don't see anything in the admin interface, or in the Rogers HomeConnect app.

By design, the Ignite Gateways do not allow us to configure alternate DNS servers.  Doing so would prevent customers from being able to enable Parental Controls or Advanced Security, which use DNS for site blocking.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bismillah wrote:

By design, the Ignite Gateways do not allow us to configure alternate DNS servers.  Doing so would prevent customers from being able to enable Parental Controls or Advanced Security, which use DNS for site blocking.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Adding to @-G-'s remarks, if you wanted to use DnsForFamily, you would have to install your own router and run the modem in Bridge mode.  

If you have Fibre to the Home with an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and modem, you could replace the modem with your own router.  The XB8 won't allow the user to run it in Bridge mode when its connected to the ONT.

For an XB6 or XB7, or XB8 with an RG-6 cable connection, you can run these Bridge mode. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation