Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Both my wife and I are shocked with the total invasion of privacy  promised by Rogers OATH. Over the last few weeks our tax, banking, investing, health and estate information has been exchanged by email, and we absolutely must do something quickly to protect ourselves. Rogers may want to play dumb, but they know exactly what their partner Yahoo brings to the table, including long standing poor security and performance. After 39 years as a customer, it will be a shame for them to lose our business.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you.  Your messages are being read and I wanted to let you know that your efforts are appreciated by other Rogers customers. 

I've Been Around

Can you access your "MY ROGERS" page to view your account with another e-mail address other than the one that Rogers gave you?  Can you keep your Rogers e-mail address and use it only for access to MY ROGERS without confirming your consent to OATH?

I Plan to Stick Around

I associate my outlook email with MyRogers but that only provides notifications from rogers.  I did that back when rogers emails weren't showing up and yahoo had all their email accounts hacked.   I only use rogers for non-critical on line accounts such as to register with retailers to get their promos.

My "myrogers" user id is an abbreviated version of a rogers email - that is it stops before the @rogers.com.

Just tried to quickly change the user id  and couldn't.  Don't know if the user id is still associated in the background with the rogers email or not.  I predate rogers (@home) but can't remember when the user id changed to not include the email.

Quick search of rogers.com provides no instructions for changing user ids.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I was able to change my MYRogers login user name and email address back at the same time and for the same reasons that LLB spoke of.

It wasn't possible initially, but the last time I did it, the steps were as follows.

1. Login with your original userid (Rogers email), and go into profile and change the user name to your desired email address.  There will be additional steps, but it walks you through it.

2. You may have to reattach your account information to the new profile, I can't remember.

One thing to be aware of though - don't know if this has changed - my old profile with the old username of the rogers email account is still associated with my forum login.

Even now with the email not in use, that account is there.

When you log in with your new one, you will not be able to access the forums, and will have to create a new user - which I learned the hard way, is not permitted as you then have two user accounts on the forum and that is not permitted in the terms.

We got it all straightened out, but now I have two profiles for MyRogers - my new email user name for my business access to MyRogers and my account information, and the old one, which when I log in, it first says that I have no associated account, I decline, and then go to the forums.  At that time, there was no way to get all my efforts on the forums and discussions moved under the old name.  They couldn't delete the new one that was created at that time, so when I accidently log in and try to go to the forums on the new one, it just says, sorry, banned.  I log out and go back to the old email address.

You can change your contact information in the forum to your new email address, and you will get confirmation request of that change in your new email.

Moderators can correct me on this if I am in error on anything, this was my experience from 2 years ago and the current outcome represents those efforts and I have made no effort to change it - it is ackward, but works and not connection to my old Rogers email on my accounts (forum or MyRogers, or things like anyplace TV apps and web sites), it just happens that my login user name for the forum requires this unattached old user name with the original rogers email address.

If it doesn't work, contact @CommunityHelps and ask for guidance on how to complete what you are trying to do.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

When I read the statement "Spokeswoman Michelle Kelly added: “We believe it is important that customers take the time to review any changes and adjust their settings to make sure they’re right for them.” I agree totally, but let's be honest here, as pointed to in the article, the item of greatest concern is buried deep in the middle of a 17 page document - I think the only set of terms and conditions that I have ever seen longer than that are my will, my full legally prepared power of attorneys and my agreement to sell and purchase my document, and all of those I had a lawyer do the due diligence on, and had him there for me to ask all the questions I required.

So, I agree that the original popup and email did provide a much higher degree of transparency then we have seen in the past, which is nice to see, but it wasn't fully transparent on all issues and directs us to read the full documents - 17 pages (come on, can we get serious here - it is largely that long to protect their legal position and to attempt to allow them to mine our data and to advertise to us), but certainly that one and a few others are real gems.

So do your due diligence of reading all terms, as best as you can, and let's say you have poor vision and cognition like myself, I hit here for clarification, or I call in, but how do I get a consistent answer from Rogers and from Oath on this one.  Oath is speaking in their interests, Rogers in theirs, and all claim to put our privacy as paramount in their actions.

I too thank the media for taking this on, and everyone who has spoken up.  We still need to keep the pressure going.

I got a response to my report a concern "they are sorry for my discontent about the new Oath terms", but given the nature of my concerns they are passing to the office of the president and will get back to me within 7 days.

discontent - now I am not sure that is the word I would have used, but it certainly is a starting point to try to keep the whole situation calm and it gave me a good laugh.

And we march on.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Another media online article from iPhoneinCanada  http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-email-yahoo-email-targeting/

Interesting use of the phrase by Rogers

"Rogers told The Globe in a statement, “Many of our Rogers internet customers have chosen to use the optional Yahoo e-mail service available to them,” adding “We encourage customers who have any concerns to adjust their customer preferences and settings in their Yahoo account.”

So that suggests 1, that it is a Yahoo service, and optional service, so I conclude the suggestion is that it is not officially part of our services that we receive from Rogers??

And we encourage you to adjust your cusotmer preferences and settings in their Yahoo account - note it is not a Rogers Yahoo account, yet the front end security and access is via the Rogers portal.  I say, you can't have it both ways.

Now we are into the word games, while the responsibility is still all on us, choose or don't choose, read everything and make your choices, yet no one is telling us just what those options are, nor how to find them or work with them.

Wonder if a rogers support tech at this time would have permission to walk us through the security permissions and how to get there?

I haven't tried as I just opted out, and have done some hunting as I reported earlier, and the options really do not address the major concerns, merely nice soothing language about protecting privacy, providing transparency, working to improve the experience to better suit each of our interests and needs, and basically, we are doing all this so we have information to make a better product and experience for you.

As the article pointed out, in this time of knowledge of Facebook and Cambridge Analytics, we are more aware of our privacy and security than say a few years back when we basically signed the same thing, but we were niave and trusting then, we no longer are, many of us, and I am glad that government, media, and groups of people like this one are advocating and educating as to the full spectrum of what we know and demanding clarification and change.

It appears that it is working to produce initial change in statements from Rogers executive levels (Oath has said nothing), but I am happy for pressure to come from Rogers and all to make sure that our rights under "canadian law" is fully protected.

For now, I think I am all talked out, but others pick up the baton and keep going until there is a full resolution on this one - first decision in front of us as it has not changed is middle of May.

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Starting to wonder if Rogers is working towards dropping the rogers email service entirely.

Might explain why they decline to give numbers on how many active roger emails there are.

First issue:

"We encourage customers who have any concerns to adjust their customer preferences and settings in their Yahoo account.”"

It bears repeating that you must first agree to all of the T&C's in order to access your account.  Changing preferences and settings does not change the terms and conditions under which you make use of Oath products and services nor do they change the data set that Oath collects from you.  Settings and preferences change slightly (and only as long as Oath allows) the way Oath sends you data.

Second issue

"you can't have it both ways."

Rogers (@home) sold me internet service which was accompanied by up to 9 email accounts.  You paid for a higher level of service to get more email accounts.    Now rogers SELLS as part of its internet packages additional features such as 9 EMAIL ACCOUNTS.  Did we buy email accounts directly from Yahoo? No!  We bought them from Rogers.  Who Rogers SUBCONTRACTS the provision of this service is immaterial to us as clients.  My PRIME contractor is Rogers.   Just as I don't care who shows up at my door to install or repair a rogers service (a Rogers employee or a Rogers subcontractor), I don't care who rogers uses for Rogers email service.  We pay rogers not Yahoo and not Oath.

Third

If Rogers no longer provides email service then I should receive compensation on my monthly bill.  Rogers should also explain specific methods to remove any link or association of roger/yahoo email accounts from my Rogers account.

I've gone from being perturbed at the laziness of rogers and the sleaziness of Oath to downright being pi***d about this.

I Plan to Stick Around

Earlier today after about 45 min wait to get a Chat operator, I asked the question of compensation for Not accepting the new OATH terms and getting a new email provider (Proton/Gmail) , discontinuing Rogers/Yahoo email. the answer was there would be no compensation because the email facility on the Rogers account was complimentary !!!!!

A bit rich eh?

I Plan to Stick Around

Did I did just read "Rogers email service is optional"? What the heck does that mean? Any service is optional, in the sense that you can pay for it, and then not use it. Or do they mean you can use it and not pay for it (i.e. it is available to non-Rogers customers). Fair enough - if I cancel my Rogers Internet subscription, can I keep and manage my nine @rogers.com email accounts? If so, then what service, if any, is Rogers providing? And if not, in what sense is Rogers email service optional?

What's New
Topic Stats