Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Hi,

Yahoo has just announced a change to it's email terms of service so that it can read the cintents of emails, including financial-related ones. ( https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oath-privacy-policy-verizon-emails-messages/ ). Rogers email is essntially Yahoo mail. Does that mean that Rogers will allow this?

*** Added Labels ***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Excellent question - hope you get a clarification.  I have discontinued my use of Yahoo Email on Rogers complete and using another provider, but with changes in the US, it may even apply to my new provider.

Good catch.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Any comments from someone from Rogers yet?

This is serious. No different than Facebook, which I have never used.

Seriously looking for another email service. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ernie

I Plan to Stick Around

This " Change" opening page only seems to appear when using Internet Explorer - I have  no intention of  giving approval to what they are seeking. I tried Google and it didn't come up. 

Try using Gmail

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the advice re Gmail. That's likely where I'll end up, although it's a pain. I  don't want to give them 'approval' either.

Unfortunately, the "change" is hitting Chrome and Firefox. I don't normally use IE.

One would think there would be some 'official' info from rogers by now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just received an email about the changes. Looks like a company called "Oath", owned by Verizon, is a data mining company that would have the right to read your emails, send emails on your behalf to your contacts for advertising purposes, etc. Not impressed. There is no mention anywhere about being in line with PIPEDA/Canadian privacy laws, so I tried contacting them, but their only email address is for the press. Maybe I'll forward the changes to Pat Foran at CTV and he can do some digging at the Privacy Commisioners office. If the changes go through, I'll be cancelling my rogers.com email account, which will be a shame because I like it ao much, that when we got rid of Rogers TV and internet and switched everything to Bell, I was happy to pay $25 per month to keep the minimum Rogers internet service, just to be able to keep my @rogers email.
I Plan to Stick Around

Just had a chat with Rogers and apparently we have no choice but to agree if we want to get into our email accounts. Spoke with "Joe" technical services. Not too happy since I don't want to agree to this.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just fired off an email to Oath, asking them to provide me with documentation that clearly shows they are compliant with Canadian privacy laws. As a courtesy, I also cc'd the Rogers Chief Privacy Officer, but I think this is coming from Oath/Verizon, not Rogers, but who knows, maybe Rogers can force Oath to scale back the "Cambridge Analytica" type permissions. It's a shame really, the one thing Rogers has done very well is their email program.
I Plan to Stick Around

So, am I to understand that if I Don't agree to let a US conglomerate read my email and other communications within my Rogers email account that I will no longer be entitled to use Rogers email? Rogers will only recognize me through their Rogers.com email address so do I gave a choice?
I Plan to Stick Around

I just opened "IE" and went to my home page which is ca.rogers.yahoo.com and the "Change to Email Terms of Service" Page didn't show up and I went right to my mail.

Strange, maybe someone at Rogers has actually seen some sense in this fiasco.

What's New
Topic Stats