cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get to 1.5Gbps speeds - what's missing?

graposo
I've been here awhile

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to the 1.5Gbps service and got a bit of a download bump but not quite the speed I was expecting to see. My download speeds are very consistent but max out at 1192 Mbps dowload with 54 Mbps upload. Prior to the upgrade, the 1Gpbs service was delivering 941 Mbps download and 54 Mbps upload.

From a hardware perspective, I've got the gen 2/XB7 modem running in bridged mode with the 2.5G port connected to the 2.5G WAN port of an Asus RT-AX88U Pro router. The router, in turn, connects to a 2.5G switch with both Windows and Linux PCs using both Intel and Realtek 2.5G NICs. All cabling is CAT6. All links are reporting full 2.5G connections and testing with iperf3 across any combination of nodes shows that I can saturate the 2.5G network at a sustained speed of 2.47 Gbps.

I doesn't matter where I run the speed test from - Windows, Linux, or even the Asus router iteself - I always get to a maximum of 1192 Mbps download. I've done a factory reset and run speed tests from a 2.5G directly attached PC (regular/non-bridged mode) and I still hit the same 1192 Mbps download wall.

I've checked with our friends at @CommunityHelps and they tell me my account is correctly provisioned for 1.5Gbos service.

Any ideas where I should look next?

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can't get to 1.5Gbps speeds - what's missing?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@graposo  There's a problem with the RT-AX88U Pro's internal speed test -- I saw the same results (1130 Mbps) when I tested it several months ago.  However, the router itself is capable of forwarding traffic much faster than that, provided that you do not enable too many features on it.  With a basic config on the 88U Pro, I was able to attain data transfers in excess of 1800 Mbps using a MacBook with a 2.5 GigE network adapter that was well-supported by macOS.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the RT-AX88U Pro or its firmware (stock firmware or Asuswrt-Merlin) and I ended up returning it.

I am also able to attain more than 1800 Mbps with my Ignite Gateway in "gateway" mode... but again, I have fast hardware with good drivers, that can drive traffic at full speed with a 2.5 GigE adapter.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@graposo : Here's a link to a recent thread on the same topic.  Check out the various posts in that thread for why you may not be seeing the speed you were expecting. @-G- has already speculated on one issue.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

Remember that the only "true" way to test your speed is with a wired computer connection directly to the gateway (Perhaps 6E WiFi) (which apparently you have done...)  Once you see the proper speed that way, you can add in your equipment piece by piece and see which equipment is causing the issue - router, switch, etc.

Edit - 1192 is a pretty specific number that indicates some sort of hardware limitation. Are you really seeing that exact a number - perhaps a cache issue?

SQUARE7
I plan to stick around

Pretty sure it's a Rogers Network issue.  I was getting 1.8, 1.9 GB, now I get around 700 to 800 MB.  One test gave me 54 MB, lol.   The only difference for me was a modem update, then I had a Primary channel is 10 on the download and upload.  Don't know if that caused it, have a ticket ongoing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SQUARE7  I don't know why but the firmware on most of the Ignite gateways had not been updated in ages.  Last week, Rogers finally updated the XB7 to version 6.2 and with that, there is additional information (that Comcast actually had been adding bit by bit since 5.x) on the "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network" page.

I'm simplifying, but you can think of the Primary Channel as a management channel -- it carries Sync Messages, MAC Domain Descriptor (MDD) messages, and a bunch of other messages pertaining to DOCSIS registration and data transmission, so it's also key for troubleshooting.  Presumably, the Channel ID of the Primary Channel was added as a convenience for field techs.

I have not noticed any stability or performance issues with version 6.2 on the XB7 or XB8.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@graposo  It's possible that there could be some kind of OS/device driver issue(s) limiting your speed but those can be a pain to troubleshoot.  I just don't understand how ALL of your devices (with different mixes of hardware) could top out at the same speed.

With your RT-AX88U Pro, try enabling QoS on the WAN interface.  That will cause your router's throughput to plummet to around 700 Mbps... but you will probably also see your routers speed test results increase to more than 1500 Mbps.

For the sake of testing, I would take your ASUS router out of the mix, put your XB7 back into gateway mode and connect the various computers with 2.5 GigE adapters to Port 4 on the XB7 and perform a speed test.  We discussed various reasons why you can get lower-than-expected speed test results in this thread.  With my own personal speed test results on that page, that involved a home-built router/firewall (with Intel hardware) and a client device with a Realtek 2.5 GigE chipset.

graposo
I've been here awhile

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. I have been dragging my feet on opening a service ticket with Rogers to have them come out and do some troubleshooting. I was busy with work and didn't need the extra hassles. Besides, I was happy with the 1192 Mbps download/54 Mbps upload speeds and it was consistent as heck! I did, however, set up an automated job to run speed tests three times a day and save the results for later.

All of a sudden, starting a couple of days ago, I'm getting over 1900 Mbps download! Looks like whatever gremlin was slowing down my download speeds has moved on.

I've done nothing with respect to configuration on my end since my original post. Happy to report that the RT-AX88U Pro is up to the task and the rest of my hardware is sufficiently fast to keep up with the 1.5Gbps service.

Smols
I plan to stick around

I have the opposite where i got 1900 and down to 600-900 now. 

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation