CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

I replaced my Rogers modem yesterday from CISCO modem to Hitron CGN3. My VoIP phone stop working. The probelem I am facing you cannot make outbound calls or when making outbound calls you hear a busy signal. On googling and searching around found many of today's commercial routers implement SIP ALG (Application-level gateway), coming with this feature enabled by default. Rogers new Hitron-CGN3 one of those. These issues are often due to your router's firewall (also known as NAT) blocking certain operations of the VoIP telephone adapter.

I need help if someone can guide how to disable SIP ALG or NAT on Hitron CGN3 router.

Here is the link which explains the issue and resolution for other modems. Hitron resolution is not included may be because it is new in the market.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

hmm.. i think i do remember at least one other person, saying the same thing Smiley Sad

Not an expert of the Hitron, never used it myself.. but BEST bet, i would think.. IF there is the option in the hitron..

Is put the IP of the voip device, in the DMZ, this would put it outside the NAT.

Only other possible option then, would be to put the cisco in BRIDGED mode, making it only a modem, with a stand alone router which the VOIP device does work through.

I've Been Around

Were you ever able to solve this?  I have run into the exact same issue with a Cisco SPA112 that will not connect and a Yealink device that connects and makes calls but does not allow you to hear anything.

I have tried putting the devices in the DMZ and this actually stopped the yealink from registering at all and had no affect on the Cisco.  

When I Bridge (turn off gateway) in the CGN3 and then connect an externall router all devices connect and work as they should.

There is defenitely something funky about this router and SIP.  

FYI this is my second CGN3 as the first one would crash when trying to enable the DMZ.. 

I've Been Around

Your suggestion is the same as what my VoIP phone's provided (Vonage) did, i.e. to place the Vonage IP address (192.168.0.11) in the DMZ. And now it's working fine for me.

So my problem with the new Wifi modem is resolved.

I've Been Around

Got a Rogers CGN3 modem by Hitron installed last week. Before had Cisco DCP3825.  The YAK Phone I was using worked fine with YAK's supplied Cisco ATA SPA122.  Now since the Hitron CGN3 has been installed the YAK Phone is not working.

When you call out you do not hear anything after the dialing digits tone.  The called part gets the call answers you and can hear you speak but you cannot hear anything neither the rings or the called party when they answer.  When you receive a call both parties cannot hear each other.

Wondering if anyone else have experienced this problem and been able to solve it?  Would like to know.

Thankyou

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best i can sugest.. is like above.. to remove any possible NAT problems, would be to put the device in the DMZ.

I've Been Around

I did this when I got the advanced wifi modem and it worked right up to the time that Rogers fixed a sporatic signal issue in the basement. My VOIP now suffers from the same problem as before (calls connect but cannot hear the other person). I see that the 192.168.0.11 address now shows in the DMZ against my computer and an 'unknown' item (presumably my Vonnage VOIP phone) is now with a 192.168.0.10 address. I'm assuming that I need to reallocate 192.168.0.11 address to the VOIP phone ??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The DMZ value should be changable.. so you could change it to whatever the vonage device is currently now.

BEST idea, is if you can set a static address on the vonage, do so, then set that in the DMZ.. then you would never have to worry about changing it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had this same issue of one-way calls on my Vonage VOIP with the CGN3 when it was in Gateway mode.  If you switch to Bridge mode and use your own router then it should work fine, and this is what I wanted to do anyway.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

First, make sure that SPI firewall is turned off on the CGN3

Second, make sure the following ports are forwarded in CGN3: UDP 5060-5063 and 16384-16482.

If this would not help, switch CGN3 into bridged mode and either put your ATA before the router (if it has a built in router) or use your own router.

What's New