Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

It doesnt half work... it 100% works... it just doesnt do its stuff AS WELL as other ones.  The ROUTER part works fine on it (the router part, is really only the DHCP, port forwarding, etc).  The wireless.. is a little lack luster.. but for average joe connecting one laptop wireless to it to surf facebook, its fine.

That doesnt mean it doesnt work.. and that doesnt mean that it wont work for the average user.. with is probably over 90% of their customers.

Since its an 'enhanced' modem built into it anyways.. they would likely charge the same $7 a month for a stand alone anways.

In the end.. regardless.. this is not the place that will make the decision.. the few rogers reps on here, are for support, they are not the decision makers.  If this is something you so highly beleive it, it needs to be sent to a department that does make the decisions so it can be considered.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The main reason people need a router is for a wireless connection. For customers with one computer, a stand alone D3 modem is all that they need!  If you have to go out and purchase another router to go along with your gateway modem, that defeats the purpose of the gateway. Granted, the CISCO does work better than the piece of junk SMC, but that still does not excuse Rogers for selling or renting a product that does not perform up to standards and you have at least admitted that the wireless is a "little lack luster" - therefore it does not work 100%! You may be be correct on one point though - that Rogers might charge just as much for a stand alone D3 as they do for a gateway.

I've Been Here Awhile

It's not a perfect solution, but call the customer retention group and tell them you're not happy with the whole Router/Modem option theiy're offering. I was able to get them to give me the modem rental at No Charge. Will be disabling the SMC router and will bridge the modem to my Airport Extreme router.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Actually, if I were you, I would trade in the SMC for the Cisco. I have already informed Rogers that I am not happy with the current modem options, but they remain adamant that the gateways are my only other option at this point. For now, I am sticking with my Motorola Surfboard modem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

When I went in to pick it up, they gave me the Cisco modem.

Does anyone know the specs on it and if the wi-fi is better than the SMC?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I do not have the Cisco, but based upon what I have read in various forums, the Cisco is a huge improvement over the SMC.  But many posters report that even with the Cisco, they are having it placed into bridge mode and still using their own routers! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The wireless on the Cisco, is much better than the SMC.

BUT.

As IHR said.. COMPARED to a 3rd party linksys or Dlink, it is not as good.

(you also DONT have to put it in bridged mode either, you can let the cisco handle DHCP, and turn off DHCP on the other router and let it just handle wireless)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty wrote:

(you also DONT have to put it in bridged mode either, you can let the cisco handle DHCP, and turn off DHCP on the other router and let it just handle wireless)

Good to know if I ever get one myself! Thanks for pointing that out!

I Plan to Stick Around

One thing to keep in mind on the Cisco D3 modem, make sure you enable 40mhz on the wireless settings part and assign a manual channel, do not leave it on auto. by default the wireless of the Cisco D3 modem only broadcasts wifi at 20mhz on one channel and its set to auto, what that means is that it will automatically change channels whenever and may even put you on a worst channel, plus you may experience a pause in connection when its changing channels.

I've Been Around

EXTREME PLUS Internet is extremely slow...

We just upgraded (lol) our internet service to EXTREME PLUS!!! it's nice to be able to download more GB on this package but our average download speed is between 1.65 and 3.97 mbps...a far cry from the 32mbps advertised.  I have heard that some of Rogers' nodes are over-populated which is why the speeds are slow.  Has anyone experienced improvements with replacing their modem?  When we "upgraded" (lol) we were given a new router/modem.  We disabled the gateway functions and just use it as a modem since we have our own routers.

With their misleading ads, draconian contracts and poor customer service Rogers really is the most frustrating company I have ever, ever dealt with.  Maybe its time to switch to the only other competition (price-fixing colleague) Bell-Aliant.

What's New
WWE: Royal Rumble LIVE
Sunday January 28, 2017
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

Every SmackDown championship is on the line at WWE's most golden event of the year! Don't miss Jinder Mahal, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Charlotte Flair and all your favorites! Order the event through your remote on channels 348 (HD), 350 (SD) or order the WWE Network on channel 512 (ON) & 398 (ATL.)

Topic Stats