cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flex Channels

roycer1
I've been here awhile

I recently switched from cable to Ignite. I was told I could swap channels using Flex option. When I called I was told Flex no longer exists. If I call back the next support person says I should have it. What gives. Does Flex exist or not?

***Edited Labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Flex Channels

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That all depends on the Ignite TV package that you subscribe to and when you subscribed.

Roger switched to new Ignite TV packages on November 1, 2023.  Popular TV and Total TV are fixed packages and no longer offer Flex Channels.

However, if you subscribed to ignite TV prior to November, 2023, those older packages (Flex 5, Flex 10, Flex 20 including Sports, Premier, etc.) DO support Flex Channels, but are no longer available to new customers or existing customers switching to a new in-market bundle.

bobbydee647
I've been here awhile
So I was switched from one plan to another with no disclosure provided that the flex ability would be gone. Ignite flex 20 + Sports switched to Ignite Popular. Website at the time still referenced Flex and the contract I received also still said Flex was allowed every 30 days etc.

Calling now to request my original plan back as I signed on to a 2 year deal for this.

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

Same here.  Rogers should let us know that the new packages do not include flex channels.  Not a big issue for me, but looks bad for Roger’s not to disclose that.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With regard to the new packages, see my post here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Changes-to-Ignite-TV-Channels-in-Packages-and-Theme-...

The first thing that I noticed was that they no longer offered any Flex Channels.

However, Rogers still talks about Flex Channels on their web site because they have a few million customers with packages that still offer them.

Dino1234
I've been around
This just happened to me as well. My two year agreement ended and they called me with another offer to which I agreed. I was told I would have 63 flex channels with my new package and I just found out I have zero. I would not have agreed to change if I had known this. I was told by two different representatives on the phone when I called to ask where the flex channels were that I definitely had 63. I just found out this morning when I called yet again that I have zero flex channels and they're not available. Unbelievable

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dino1234 : I'm assuming you are now on the Total package?  Are there any channels that you had before that you cannot access now (or need to pay for)?  Although I have not yet done channel by channel research into the differences between the previous Flex and the new Total, I was assuming that most, if not all, of the flex channels are included in Total.

P.S. I just did a quick review on the Rogers bundle channel website and could find a couple of channels for my location that I think I currently can access, that not included in Total.  They were Africa, Deja View and Discovery Velocity.  This was a very cursory review but I tried to look for all the channels that I currently have and these were the only ones that stuck out as "missing"...  I believe there were also a few channels that I currently do not have access to, but are available in Total.  So, for me, Total has all the channels that I currently watch on my Flex package.

People will need to review their own preferences, especially looking for the channels that they watch and are important to them.

Dire
I plan to stick around

My contract with Rogers just ended, so I called. I was told my old bundle was no longer being sold so I purchased a set of services similar to my last deal, that included ignite tv. I went through their mobile app to see what flex channels I could take out and put in, but instead I was told I had no flex channels and that the idea of flex channels had been dropped by Rogers completely. Does anyone know why. It was put in because customers were unhappy being saddled with stations they never used, and I felt flex was consumer friendly. I also never received any notification that this service was going to be discontinued. So, what happened?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dire : I'm guessing that the Flex programme was too complex for Rogers to administer. They have to pay (most of) the various broadcasters based on customer subscriptions (broadcast rights).  It's far easier to track 3 different packages (with some clearly delineated additions) than it is to track millions of customers and pay  based on their various permutations of use.

PS. Anyone can hold onto their Flex bundle as long as you don't make any changes, however, it's too late for you now and the customer's cost to maintain Flex may not be competitive with new bundles.

UpsetBigTime
I've been here awhile

Same thing happened to me.  Promised 63 flex channels which i only needed 5-10 but that's what the package came with so I accepted it.  I don't see any flex channels now.  I am about to call Rogers and find out what's going on

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:  Roger switched to new Ignite TV packages on November 1, 2023.  Popular TV and Total TV are fixed packages and no longer offer Flex Channels.

You want to know something really strange?  I've been saying the same thing, however, a friend of mine who lives in Oshawa switched to IgniteTV in February 2024 from Legacy Digital Cable.  He was able to get the "Flex 10" option.  I was talking to him about this and I originally doubted that he had Flex, so I asked him to go into MyRogers, check his package and switch around some Flex Channels. He was able to do so.

He also had a "Rogers “Critical Information Summary” - I am signed up to their Ignite TV Flex 10 program and internet speeds up to 150Mbps"...

Perhaps the CSR had some sort of "workaround", or Oshawa is in a different time zone.  😉

I'm not sure how this came about, but it's really odd.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:  Roger switched to new Ignite TV packages on November 1, 2023.  Popular TV and Total TV are fixed packages and no longer offer Flex Channels.

You want to know something really strange?  I've been saying the same thing, however, a friend of mine who lives in Oshawa switched to IgniteTV in February 2024 from Legacy Digital Cable.  He was able to get the "Flex 10" option.  I was talking to him about this and I originally doubted that he had Flex, so I asked him to go into MyRogers, check his package and switch around some Flex Channels. He was able to do so.

When the new Popular TV and Total TV packages landed, the first thing I noticed was that they were fixed packages, with no Flex channels.  Rogers later confirmed this on their Channel Updates page when they said, "As of November 1, 2023, we no longer offer Flex Channels as part of our Ignite TV plans. Customers with existing Flex Channels will continue to keep them as part of their current plan."

The new Popular TV reminded me of the old VIP package on Digital, and Total TV gives you a huge number of channels.  However, there is huge a gap between Starter and Popular, and that is why Rogers originally introduced "Flex 10" and "Flex 20 plus Sports"/"Flex 20 Including Sports".

Rogers also still sells "Flex 20 Including Sports" as part of their Connected for Success program, so while Premier may be gone, it's entirely possible that customers can still get Flex 10 and Flex 20 (and perhaps even Flex 5) if they talk to a CSR who knows what codes to punch in.

He also had a "Rogers “Critical Information Summary” - I am signed up to their Ignite TV Flex 10 program and internet speeds up to 150Mbps"...

Perhaps the CSR had some sort of "workaround", or Oshawa is in a different time zone.  😉

I'm not sure how this came about, but it's really odd.

Could you please check with your friend to see whether his Flex 10 package includes the US networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.)?  If so, that would be indicative of a new package, and perhaps confirmation that Rogers is bowing to customer demand/pressure and rejigging their offerings again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

1. ....there is huge a gap between Starter and Popular, and that is why Rogers originally introduced "Flex 10" and "Flex 20 plus Sports"/"Flex 20 Including Sports".

2. Could you please check with your friend to see whether his Flex 10 package includes the US networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.)?  

1. You are correct and that's probably why they have implemented "new" Flex Packages to fill that gap.

2. His package is called "Ignite Flex 10 + 150 ULTD" and it does include the US networks.  I asked him to make sure there was not a $3 line item in his bill and there is not.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 in conversation