blocking calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: blocking calls

We need Home and Away manager privacy changes to allow a generic blocking of numbers.

If some one calls starting with 519-932* block all. This would be a must feature.

I see a lot of marketers using your number exchange to attempt to fool you into thinking it is a local call. 

Second: How about a call log and be able to "add" logged numbers to the privacy table.

Also I find the rogers web page for managing these features painfully slow. They need to be streamlined and the extra junk on these pages removed to help speed them up. I really don't need to see rogers advertisements or other running scripts when maintaining my call features.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Biollw wrote:

1. If some one calls starting with 519-932* block all. This would be a must feature.

2. How about a call log and be able to "add" logged numbers to the privacy table.

@Biollw:  These suggestions would have been quite useful a couple of years ago, however, now I find that most telemarketers rotate their numbers so much that even with an exchange block, or adding numbers to a call blocker are not very useful any more - they change the exchange number too....    Rogers call blocker is also limited in the number of blocked numbers, so adding them there soon means that you have to delete older numbers.

I find the only useful option these days is to have a "white list" as I discussed in posts 60, 57 of this thread.  Unfortunately, Rogers "white list" option is also quite limited in the number of phone numbers you can put there, so I used my Panasonic phone's white list instead.

Here's my previous post regarding the shortcomings of Online Manager...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Block-entire-area-code-with-online-manager-please/m-...

I Plan to Stick Around

Blocking 519-932* would be a start, That is my exchange and I know NOBODY that also has that number. So if I see any calls from that exchange I disregard them because I don't need to win a cruise. At least it can generically block 9,999 numbers. 

I'm Here A Lot

how do you block numbers from a land line? using rogers phone service.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@debbieferrill :  You have several options for blocking:

1. You can purchase a call blocking device - available online with various features for various $.

2. You can purchase/use a home phone (like Panasonic cordless) that has the call blocking feature.

3. You can try to use the Rogers Online Manager, if it's available to you, but I found it slow, useless and only takes up to 30 numbers.

As discussed in posts 57, 60, 62 of this thread, the call blocking feature is now next to useless because all/most telemarketers now rotate their spoofed phone numbers, so that the number you blocked is not used again and they use another one that you have not yet blocked.  I used to always block a number once they phoned me twice. I almost never get telemarketing calls from the same number any more and rarely is a number blocked. The numbers are always different.

That is why I recommend you utilize a "white list" on your phone.  Again, most Panasonic (and some other) cordless phones have this feature.  You programme your contacts into the directory and can set a distinctive ring for the numbers in the directory. When a call comes in from someone in your directory, you can hear the distinctive ring and answer the call. If you don't hear the distinctive ring, you know that the caller is not in your directory and is often a telemarketer.  You can decide how to handle this - whether to pick up that call or let it go to voicemail.

Some of the call blocking devices can also set up a white list and "reject" any calls that are not on it. That's how the Rogers Online Manager whitelist works.  The Online manger only allows for 30 phone numbers in the whitelist though, which is not enough for most people (see link in post 62). Also, you may not want the call from a Doctor or Revenue Canada rejected if it's not in your whitelist.  That's why I use the distinctive ring feature, which still allows me to use call display to see if the call is from someone I want to talk to.

I'm Here A Lot

519 IS ONTARIO, i have relatives there and they do call a few times a week, i want to block a local number. actually 2 of them.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@debbieferrill : 

Did you read my previous post?  You can certainly block two numbers in any of the ways I mentioned.  Do you know for a fact that these are the sorts of numbers that don't change?  Are they telemarketers or somebody else?

I'm Here A Lot

people we know, we dont want them calling us anymomre
I'm a Senior Advisor

@debbieferrill :  As I indicated in post 65 of this thread, there are several ways to block calls on a Rogers Home Phone.  If you have a cordless phone with the call block feature, like the Panasonic that I mentioned, that would be the easiest.  If you want, you can purchase an external call blocking device - search the internet for various models.

If you have Rogers Home Phone and subscribe to Home and Away Online Manager, then you could give that a try, but I (and others) have found it extremely frustrating to set up.

- Login to MyRogers, click "Home Phone", Click "Home and Away Online Manger" link that should come up if you subscribe, click "Privacy", You then need to configure the unwanted caller settings to your preference and enter any numbers into the list of unwanted callers. I found this latter portion to be extremely frustrating and gave up - I'm a very technical person and it's frustrating to set up - for example, you need to click Yes, then no for adding a number, etc.  If you wish to attempt this procedure, I wish you luck.

I'm Here A Lot

ok thanks a lot

What's New
Topic Stats