Online Manager with Privacy Settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Online Manager with Privacy Settings

Hi, I got the Home and Away Online Manager option for my home phone as I wanted to further control telemarketers.  Yes I am on the no-call list, but they still get though.

Aside from getting a '"we are experiencing high volumes of traffic - please try again" issue every mouse clicks or so (very irritating when you are manually trying to enter a contact, as you lose what you have typed) I am having another issue.

We just got a call from Unknown number and Unknown name.  We get these a lot as they are always telemarketers.  In the online manager I have the "All private callers will receive a message stating you are unavailable" option turned on.  This call apparently got though anyhow.  When I do the #60 to add the last call to the list, I get a 'Sorry but the number is not known'.

How do I prevent these sorts of calls from getting though?

Bonus question: most services like these do allow a blocked caller (who might be actually be legit) to leave a message on voicemail (in my case rogers voicemail).  Are there plans to implement this (what would appear important functionality) anytime soon, or is there a way to activate this that I am missing?

Tx.

Glenn

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Re: Online Manager with Privacy Settings

Hi glennmoore!

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Since most telemarketers have their names and numbers blocked, *60 won't be able to add that number to your list. I see you mentioned above that you have selected the option "All private callers will receive a message stating you are unavailable". You may want to try the manual method to enabling that feature using the * codes.

To activate Anonymous Caller Rejection, you can pick up your phone and dial *77 and listen for a busy signal then hang up.

To deactivate Anonymous Caller Rejection, you can pick up the phone, dial *87 and wait for the busy signal again.

You might want to try toggling the feature off and on just to make sure it is enabled properly.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks,
RogersReggie

I'm Here A Lot

Anonymous call rejection will NOT block unknown name. 

Unknown name is sometimes where the call display info legitimately doesn't make it from point A to point B.

Unfortunately, some unsavoury folks will actually have their call display name populated at Unknown Name just to throw a wrench into things.

Anonymous call rejection will only block calls from callers that actively block their call display info ie "Private Name Private Number".

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up J_Dub!
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your feedback.  I think I have it covered now.

I have heard about a service where the privacy is done a different way.  Instead of a blocked call list, all calls are automatically routed to voice mail (with a anouncement stating that since the number is not on an 'approved friend list' the caller will not be routed though but placed into voice mail).  You can then review the voice messages and add callers to an 'approved list', so eventually your friends and family and others can directly reach you.  This sounded great.  I was hoping I could use the rogers system that way, but alas I do not think it can be used that way.  Instead of an approved caller list, you have to use a defined block list.  Hence a new telemarketer with a new number can easily call you.  The privacy then only blocks 'repeat callers'

On a related subject, I have posted a response to someone else saying the system is slow with voice mail notifications.  It is not only slow, these blasted 'we are experiencing a high volume' (code for 'our servers are overloaded') messages make the online privacy manager and voicemail pretty much useless as you cannot do anything with them.

Glenn

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also on the Canadian "Do-Not-Call" list and I pay for annonomous call rejection and Call Blocking on my Rogers Home Phone. We receive calls periodically from # 000-000-0000 and even "Unknown Name" "Unknown Number"! The way I figure it, Where there's a will, there's a way for the telemarketers to get through.
The absolute worst is "Rogers". I have received numerous calls, 2 of which I answered, over the past 2 weeks from Rogers. - Trying to "save me money" on my Rogers services. - If you want to save me money - reduce my bill. That's it. I have no desire to listen to a telemarketer try to sell me something.
In addition, I've received spam text messages on my Rogers cell phone, from Rogers. -- The last 2 times I had an extremely hard time getting the messages to stop. - Send "STOP" back and they respond - "You are not currently subscribed to any services." geeesh!
I Plan to Stick Around

Blocking numbers is going to be a full time job. Also, you would hit a max- I think it is around 50. I know this from experience(bad). You can block private caller but that would block all private caller calls-this may not be a good idea. I am getting so many duct cleaning calls that we're going crazy. These calls are coming for all over the world. I am getting to the point of being rude which I hate doing.

I Plan to Stick Around

I certainly hear you on the duct cleaning scams, one number I cannot block is using *60 #01# is 1-905-342-1223, Rogers will not accept this number in my blocked list, I can add 000-000-0000 and 123-456-7890 and all kinds of weird setups but this number will not even show up when I manually enter in my Online Manager although I have added manually numbers that *60 #01# won't accept since it's a number that's not available.    My blocked numbers are at their max and I went and bought a Panasonic phone that has the ability to block unknown name/numbers along with numbers that Rogers won't block and that is almost at the max.    

If a Rogers Rep is reading this please send along a message to your superiors alerting them to this fact, I got a phone for outgoing calls and family and friends to call me, not to be harassed by those pretending to be marketers.   I refuse all junk mail in my snail mail, I have spam filters on my email and now the phone crap is tempting me to just get rid of landlines and just get a pay as you go cell phone to avoid all that crap... but then those scammers will find a way to use up all those minutes too. 

I've Been Around

why cant rogers have a feature that will allow their coustemer to block all calls if they want ?.

I've Been Around

Hello I've received several unknown calls yesterday and only answered one of them... it was a harassment that i would like to avoid reporting to the police, before trying to trace the number.
Since the missed unknown calls happened yesterday it's too late for the option of *57
Therefore i would please like Rogers to check my received calls from yesterday and trace the numbers for me. Or tell me any other way i can track the caller. It's very important and urgent because the harassment was serious. Please help.

What's New
WWE: Extreme Rules LIVE
Sunday July 15, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

WWE throws the rulebook out the window and lets the Superstars compete in matches where anything goes! Don't miss Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Alexa Bliss and all your favorites. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Ontario/Atlantic)

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 in conversation