No dial tone :(

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No dial tone :(

Can I get this straight?  Just so I am understanding right?

The tech did come out.   There is a phone which is working?
One that is right at where the the phone modem is?

If that is the case, it could be an issue then somehow with the other phones in the house, or the lines to those phones themselves.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi and thank you.

The Rogers tech did come last night. He reset the modem. I have put a jack-splitter into the "Line 1"jack on back of modem and am using phone wire all over the house for extensions. 

Last night, the Rogers tech said it was the alarm system (ADT). (He did not even look at the alarm system)

ADT disputes this since they say they are ONLY wireless. I called them several times because there ARE phone lines around (in and out) of the ADT box. If they come, they will charge me $300.00 - $400.00 if it is NOT the alarm system.

I asked Rogers about wireless and they said this cannot be done. They will charge to fix any problem with the line and the next visit is Monday (4/23/18) which is REALLY 2 late.

To answer your question: The modem is working but there is a problem between the Rogers modem and the wall; and / or the internal wiring. I.E. The jack the modem(?) should plug into is not. I don't know how to try it again. I don't know what the small white plug is that WAS possibly attached to the modem and the wall.

I called 2 electricians who said Rogers should come b/c otherwise their visit (each) would co$t me too much. IMO it should be Rogers because using the wall jacks doesn't work (The phone LEDS have "No Line" (NOT "Line in use") IMO these are different.

I don't know WHO to call or what to do.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@YtanyaY was the Rogers Home Phone ever working correctly at all?  You went from Bell to Rogers, just wondering if the Rogers service worked properly after it was installed?  You should have had a proper dial tone at that point in time and calling in and out should have worked as well?  Just wondering if it ever did.   The switch over from Bell to Rogers is pretty simple.  Its only two wires that have to be cut and connected to the Rogers modem.  If it worked initially, and then stopped at some point in time, that would suggest that one of the wires has managed to become disconnected for some reason, or, if you have a typical punch down block for your house telephone wiring, that possibly one of the wires has come loose from that punch down block if the Rogers installation tech used a direct connection to the punch down block.

I'm a Senior Contributor

HI and thanx for replying.

I am a phase where I am PAYING ROGERS and ADT for service. Neither company will help me (even direct to someone I should call) It is ironic.

BTW the home phone technicians (on Roger's phone support are VERY disinterested and den't seem to know much).

Do you have ANY suggestions? I need the phone working and every one is referring me to someone else who refers me back.

The technician on the phone support said wireless could not be done.

I'm a Senior Advisor

My suggestion is that depending upon your area, search the Internet for a phone technician company in your area - they are still out there - yes it will cost you money, but it looks like everyone will.

A couple of comments though - a first glance it does sound like something in your internal lines, but the tech that came in could have offered to set up for the lines to be checked either he could do it, or could call in and escalate for a tech to come in at a cost to do a full test.

There is no way the tech could claim or have any idea that the alarm system had anything to do with the issue without doing testing on the lines, and confirming that the ADT box lines are even active anymore, which since it is wireless they are probably not.

The recommendation for an electrician is silly and overkill - you don't need an electrician, you need a telephone cabling technician - they cost a lot less, this is not an electrical issue it is a phone cabling issue, generally easily tested for and repaired for someone who has the knowledge and the desire to do the testing and repairs.  It can be as simple as GDKitty suggested - a cable pulled loose on the run somewhere, or some other reason, but a tone generator and testing equipment and the issue is easily identified.

So, my suggestion is either set for a tech from Rogers to come out and test and repair the connection to your lines in the house - yes this will be at cost, and would have been anyway, unless the tech decided to waive it. Or locate a local tech to check your lines and set it up.

My final suggestion is that since you rely on your phone system for emergency response for your family, I would either buy a universal power supply for power failures since your Rogers home phone batter will only last about 5 hours, or move to a Bell wired phone.  You may lose their phone lines if the lines on the pole are damaged say with a storm last week, but at least in a power failure you have a phone that doesn't rely on a battery in the modem.

When done, I would personally write this all up, identify just what it turned out was wrong - I will be very surprised if it has anything to do with the alarm system, and even so, the tech was in no position to say that with no testing and not even looking at the ADT line connections.

Your priority right now is get your phone active again, so pay whoever you need to do the work and appropriate testing, and afterwards, escalate with your concerns and see if you can get any charges refunded at least for the inconvenience and misinformation if it is found that they really did not know what they were talking about.

Do try to connect with community helps link (if you haven't already) that the moderators gave you and see if they can expedite this whole thing.  And you are right, there are many techs out there who really do not now their stuff when it comes to phones, for whatever reason, which is silly, phone cabling is as basic a techonology as you can find, and with training, any tech could have fully identified what was going on or if they didn't, would escalate it, not just walk away and blame it on the alarm system.

Hope this gets resolved soon,  Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know EXACTLY what your issue is, and why your getting push back from Rogers and ADT.    Basically, the alarm system has a connection to your phone wiring because back in the day if you had an alarm trigger, it would "seize" the phone line and make a call out to the central monitoring station.  Even if your alarm system is not monitored any more via phone or was converted to wireless monitoring or not, the wiring is still present to "seize" the phone line to give priority to the alarm company to use it.   Sometimes this special wiring can go "bad" and its no bodys fault. Wires go bad, they lose connection, connectors come loose over time.

The problem you have is more of a responsibility issue. Bell/Rogers do not want to touch any connections by the alarm company and vice a versa due to liability.  Lets say bell/rogers touches the alarm wiring and were able to "fix" the dial-tone, but in the process they somehow disconnected the alarm's ability to call the monitoring station, and you have an alarm at your house but cant communicate with the monitoring station, it could be a huge liability issue.

Same with Alarm company, the alarm companies have a set price to come out and check /fix faulty wiring, its the going rate, it may not be a price your willing to pay but something is broke, you have a decision to make, you can hire them, or you can hire a private telecom contractor or if it was me, I would have come by and fixed it for free, im trained and certified at fixing both the phone company portiona and the alarm company portion, but im not actively working for a phone or alarm company at the moment so i can not charge to do my work so thats why i said i would do it free if i could.

The alarm portion you need to have checked is called an RJ31X jack, its the jack that seizures the phone line for the alarm to contact the monitoring station. you would be surprised how manty times when people switch from bell to Rogers and vice a versa or other phone companies that this jack gets bypassed and the alarm monitoring stops working.

I'm a Senior Contributor

It worked.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Just waiting 4 an electrician just want 2 thank you I will reply after

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi,

I want to SINCERELY THANK all of you who replied!
The electrician (>$100.00 later) SOLVED the problem which was that the Rogers tech had not reconnected the modem to the wall jack.
The ALARM does use a phone line but apparently that was not the problem; but at least I know for next time, Pauly! (Where do you live?) 😊
Bruce, I really appreciate the time and information you provided! I did not have ADT come for a "visit". The roger’s tech had not even gone to the alarm room to look. I could not find a cabling tech.
Isn't this @CommunityHelps?
So that was the problem - We had only 1 phone working which was directly plugged into the modem. (The rogers tech had done this)
Besides learning how helpful people are HERE, I also learned that (Like TV/INTERNET) Rogers technicians for home phone (both call in and coming to the house) are not always the answer. I truly find connecting the lines / cables properly should be routine.

Thanks again to all of you who replied to my message!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@YtanyaY wrote:

Hi,

I want to SINCERELY THANK all of you who replied!
The electrician (>$100.00 later) SOLVED the problem which was that the Rogers tech had not reconnected the modem to the wall jack.
The ALARM does use a phone line but apparently that was not the problem; but at least I know for next time, Pauly! (Where do you live?) 😊
Bruce, I really appreciate the time and information you provided! I did not have ADT come for a "visit". The roger’s tech had not even gone to the alarm room to look. I could not find a cabling tech.
Isn't this @CommunityHelps?
So that was the problem - We had only 1 phone working which was directly plugged into the modem. (The rogers tech had done this)
Besides learning how helpful people are HERE, I also learned that (Like TV/INTERNET) Rogers technicians for home phone (both call in and coming to the house) are not always the answer. I truly find connecting the lines / cables properly should be routine.

Thanks again to all of you who replied to my message!

Hi YtanyaY, 

Glad to hear it worked out.

I am quite shocked that the original Technician failed to check if the dialtone was connected to the ISW correctly.  This has got to be the EASIEST thing for a Technician to check, its so simple and takes the least amount of time, but if a technician has no time to check the most simple thing, he probably is doing the job just for the pay cheque and he does NOT seem passionate about the quality of work he does.  I have noticed this in the past from my own personal experiences with *some* technicians, not all, but some are like this, you can not change the attitude of some technicians there will always be technicians like this. I am sorry to hear this happened to you but in my days as a cable technician (I was not working for Rogers I was third party) I would spend an extra 5 minutes with my clients and listen to their concerns and check things out and even spend extra time fixing it even if it means I clock out an extra 15 mins later and did not get paid for it, I would still feel accomplished at the end of my job.

Its unfortunate that there are still technicians out there who are not passionate about their jobs but thats life, nothing you can do but complain and get another tech.

What's New
Topic Stats