cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone installation

sadchel
I plan to stick around

I am interested in getting Rogers home phone.  I have TV/Internet with Rogers, home phone with Bell.

My question is about installation/connection issue. My Bell phone line comes into my home in the workroom/furnace room into a junction box, then the phones lines exit to various phone jacks throughout the home.  MY Rogers cable line enters the home in a different area of the home.

How will Rogers install home phone so that all my existing phone jacks work?   

***EDITED LABELS***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Home phone installation

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, normal installation in most cases.. most people have the power, bell lines, and rogers lines in the same spot.  Makes it a lot easier.
If you cant get a rogers cable over to that spot, there are still some options.

First thing (regardless of setup), is to make sure the incoming bell line is DISCONNECTED from the junction box.  It can cause issues if its left connected.

Really all you would need, is to have a phone line connection period, near where there is a cable connection.  So it can be anywhere/any room.  It doesnt have to be connected into an 'input' on the junction, then shared out, etc.  The lines run in parallel, so you can plug into anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you happen to have a phone plug anywhere near the cable entry point?  Rogers uses a separate modem for Home phone service.  If the tech were to simply disconnect the existing Bell cable, it should be possible to run the entire phone system by plugging the output of the Home Phone modem into the nearby phone plug. 

Now, with the new Ignite TV service, a new Arris XB6 modem is used to provide TV, Internet and Phone services, all in one instead of separate modems.  That modem also has two phone output ports on it.  Same situation here, disconnect the Bell cable and plug one of the modem's phone ports into the existing home phone jack and in theory that should work. 

In the junction box you should see a 66 block where all of the home's phone cables are connected.  That provides the common connection point for the entire system, but, there shouldn't be any problems with driving that system from any connected point instead of at the junction box.  

At the end of the day, its up to the tech to determine where and how to connect, but, it you have this figured out ahead of time it would certainly make the installation much quicker and probably easier. 

sadchel
I plan to stick around

So my best option is:

1. Have Rogers tech disconnect the Bell line coming into my home.

2. Install a Rogers Phone modem close to my Rogers cable line.

3. Connect the cable line into the phone modem.

4. Run a phone cord from phone modem into a nearby phone jack

That would allow all my phone jacks throughout the home to work off the Rogers phone modem.

thanks     

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, and do make them wait until you test all your phones in your house - there have been situations where the installer neglected to plug the connection to the current wiring properly. And others have had similiar issues too. Smiley Surprised

Saves having to come here and have us try to walk you through the trouble shooting, or having to try to get the tech back at no cost.

Bruce

kszeto0209
I've been here awhile

I live in a condo apartment.  Can the technician disconnect the Bell line for my unit in the building?

May depend.. if its in a bell locked cabinet, etc.. they may not be able to?

If they can figure out where the INPUT is into the condo.. the main dmarc point there, or the first outlet, could disconnect it from that end.

@kszeto0209 wrote:

I live in a condo apartment.  Can the technician disconnect the Bell line for my unit in the building?

The technician "Should" absolutely be able to.  Just because the inside wiring of your condo unit is currently in use by Bell does not mean its "tied down" to Bell permanently.  There is a junction point somewhere in your condo, probably within a closet which the main feed comes in and that is where the Bell signal and the inside wiring interconnect each other, all the technician has to do is to figure out where is this point of demarcation and disconnect it.

Now a days with newer construction, disconnecting the bell wiring is as easy as unplugging a small RJ11 jumper wire between one jack (Demarc) to another RJ11 jack (Start of customer inside wiring).  Older buildings may not have modular RJ11 jacks but still can be disconnected by removing wires from a set of screw terminals or punch down blocks, so yes it is very possible. I used to be a technician (not for Rogers, but for a third party telecommunications) myself and did this kind of work all the time.

Once the Bell is disconnected, the technician can easily re-use your existing phone jacks and wiring with Rogers Home Phone or Rogers Wireless Home phone or Rogers Ignite Home phone by simply plugging a phone wire from the Rogers phone terminal to ANY phone jack in your house, it does not even have to be the same jack that the bell wire was connected to. 

kreddigan
I plan to stick around

Two phone lines - connection of Ignite Modem to prewired RJ11 .

I have two telephones in my house, one from Bell (local calls only)  and one from Rogers (outgoing local calls and long distance, with incoming calls forwarded to Bell line). My Bell line  is wired as line one and the Rogers is wired as line two at my demarc point.  In order to connect to line two (Rogers) , I had to fabricate and place a "crossover" adapter between the  RJ11 jack and my Roger Home Phone base station. This homemade "fix" works fine. I know there are crossover cables or adapters available on the market that do the same thing, but I did not have access locally  to them at the time.

In exploring what will happen if I decide to go with Ignite, (and depending on how I connect from the Ignite Modem), it looks like I  may have to place another crossover cable/adapter between the RJ11 jack of the Ignite Modem  and the RJ11that  connects  to my  Rogers (line two) house wiring. As far as I can tell, the RJ11 cable supplied with Ignite package is just a straight "line one to line one" cord. I know the double crossover will solve the problem and there are several different ways that this double crossover can be accomplished. Crossover RJ11 cords are generally not available locally so I wondered if anyone else had addressed this issue, and if there may be a better way. If Rogers supplied a crossover RJ11 cord, I could use it and then I wouldn't have to make any changes to my current wiring.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. welcome.

Hello kreddigan. The setup your explaining is not a basic setup. If you only had rogers ignite home phone it would be plug and play but since you have an existing provider and are trying to share the ISW (In-Side Wiring) with both providers it complicates the install and no longer becomes a simple install.

The install is still possible and i get exactly what your trying to do. U want it plug and play using your existing wires. If u can find such cable then go for it otherwise u need to make that cable on your own or you may need whats called a punch down block at your demarc to then isolate both lines onto which ever pair of wires. Some people put a modular plug to the punch down block so the ignite phone can use a standard phone cable no special crossover rj11 needed. And the bunch down basically does the crossover for u to the correct wire in your house. Pretty neat eh? If rogers tech can do this otherwise you may need to hire your own telecom guy for such wiring config which is common to hire people for wiring jobs which are beyond basic.

kreddigan
I plan to stick around

As a followup for anyone who has  two telephone lines in their home/business, here is some information on a product that allows you to segregate your telephone lines on a standard RJ11 jack. In my case, my Bell landline is wired as line 1 and my Rogers Home Phone is line 2.   With the  Ignite Modem, the  telephone line outputs to Line 1, when connected to your home's prewired RJ11 jacks. Since I already have a Bell landline assigned to Line 1, the Rogers Home Phone will try to connect on top of it and chances are that neither line will work.

The device I ordered online as a workaround  is called a "Two Line Telephone Splitter" . When plugged into a standard pre-wired RJ11, it provides individual access to L1 or L2 using a standard RJ11 male 2-wire telephone cord. It also has a jack for 2 line telephones (L1+L2) that are equipped with a standard 4-wire RJ12 male connector.  There are a wide variety of these devices offered on the Internet and my purchase cost me  less than $14CDN. If you live in or near a larger town/city, you may be able to pick up this item in an electronic center.

This is a much simpler solution than reverting to special wiring, and it allows you to retain the integrity of the standard RJ11 prewiring  throughout your home/business. There may be some instances, depending on your telephone set or base station configuration, where a second splitter unit is required.

I hope this information helps two line home/small business owners.

This is great news it worked for you, but you must also learn, home phone wiring is not consistent from one house to another. in my cousins house, the jacks in the basement are not connected to the same wiring as the upstairs, because they used to rent it out to a tenant, so in his case this would not work it would not inject a rogers dial tone on the second pair if he bought this adaptor. the way the phone jacks are wired in the house is totally the home owners responsibility and not up to the phone company or companies. but good advice none the less
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 in conversation