cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for Improvement

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

A general rule to follow would be that anything in the Wireless, Internet, TV and Home Phone boards should be technical in nature, and specific to that device, product or service.

Anything outside of those parameters would generally fall into the Account Support, MyRogers, and Additional Services Knowledge Base."

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Suggestion for Improvement

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User14 wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but I've seen this information provided hundreds of times in hundreds of threads.  Here's but one example:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers/How-and-where-can-I-check-my-Rogers-Plan-details-at-My...

Why is the formatting in your post strange?  I shouldn't need to scroll to the right to read posts.  I've added "returns" to the quote portion of my post to avoid scrolling.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I may be incorrect, but I think the point is that people coming here may be unclear when it makes more sense to go directly to @communityhelps .

"Also, no one is told how, when or why you should send a PM to .."

Yes, we are given directions in response to our questions or points either by a moderator or by one of us who have been here for a while, but it is a proactive response - as an example, a person wanting to discuss their package, should be able to figure out the type of topics that make most sense to take directly to a PM, rather than a general statement in the forum.

Definitely, clear instructions are given when people are directed - I don't give clear directions, only because I don't bookmark well, and have difficulties finding things - for me personally, knowing where to post is always a guess and I often invite for my topic to be moved to a more appropriate area because I am never sure.

So I second the points put forward  by @User14 in the suggestions as I am one of those who really has never fully figured out how to navigate this forum.  And I practically live here and still don't know.

It may be more intuitive for others, but for me, I am never sure where to go.

I think the point being made here is that the board and its threading and directions and categories are not intuitive and what is being asked for is more clarity for the new person coming here. As we are users, we have become accustomed to working around the board and navigating it, but put ourselves in the mind set of the typical new comer, and it may not be such.  I can recall it is only in the last year or so that I recall that when being suggested by the team to contact @communityhelps that there is usually a link to instructions to refresh how to use the PM system.

I personally am actually unsure where to find those instructions, so I rely on the instructions with the link.

This is an example for how someone like myself in navigating the forums.

Great suggestion - are there others who have difficulties with navigation that the team could work to improve.

Thanks @User14 for driving this discussion, along with others on the discussion of solutions as @OLDYELLR recently put forward.  If it is a problem for one, it is probably one for others.

Bruce

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I did some digging, and when I say digging, I really do mean digging through the sections of the welcome to the community, down to the FAQ's and no where could I find any reference to using community helps or what they are there for.  Unlike with Facebook, if you choose from My Rogers to use the social media options like Twitter or Facebook Messenger it takes you directly into a chat with Rogers Social Media staff where you can immediately begin a private messenger or twitter private chat and once they get your authorization information confirmed, you are directly into your discussion.

With the link to the forum, it takes you to the main page, where someone with a direct question will be unclear of where to go to next - they will need to learn the forums first - no wonder some think they are hitting a chat once they search a topic -  I cannot find any direct reference easily found (I haven't found it yet), where if you decided to follow this link to the forums with a specific question about your account - keep in mind, I was given this option when I was looking at changes to my services links on MyRogers - this is the point - you will hit the forum and be unclear of how to get to the community helps staff for your specific issue.

It is more focussed towards providing peer to peer support on a range of issues and discussions, but a person directed here with a specific account related issue is likely to be completely confused.

Just commenting.

Bruce

User14

@57 wrote:

Why is the formatting in your post strange?  I shouldn't need to scroll to the right to read posts.  

We digress, but I really don't know why you have to scroll right on my post. Maybe copying comments from one post to another had something to do with it.  I do encounter a lot strange things that I usually send to @CommunityHelps@ which you never see posted.  For example, sometimes I can't post a Private Message (PM) because I have exceeded my limit, even when I haven't posted anything in a week.  I even exceeded the 65,000 character limit at one point.   Once I couldn't send a PM to @BS because it was not recognized. Sometimes I get "Access Denied" when I try to send a PM.   The scrolling issue is a new one on me.  When I encounter these issues, if I have time, I try to let CommunityHelps know so they can send it to the Lithium Team.  Rarely do I get any feedback on the cause, but I sometimes get asked for more input.  I do use various IT Community Forums for Canon, MicroSoft, HP, Apple, etc. and they all have their shortcomings, but this one is less intuitive and has a lot of bugs compared to the others.   My $.02 

User14

@BS wrote:

I did some digging, and when I say digging, I really do mean digging through the sections of the welcome to the community, down to the FAQ's and no where could I find any reference to using community helps or what they are there for.  Unlike with Facebook, if you choose from My Rogers to use the social media options like Twitter or Facebook Messenger it takes you directly into a chat with Rogers Social Media staff where you can immediately begin a private messenger or twitter private chat and once they get your authorization information confirmed, you are directly into your discussion.

With the link to the forum, it takes you to the main page, where someone with a direct question will be unclear of where to go to next - they will need to learn the forums first - no wonder some think they are hitting a chat once they search a topic -  I cannot find any direct reference easily found (I haven't found it yet), where if you decided to follow this link to the forums with a specific question about your account - keep in mind, I was given this option when I was looking at changes to my services links on MyRogers - this is the point - you will hit the forum and be unclear of how to get to the community helps staff for your specific issue.

It is more focussed towards providing peer to peer support on a range of issues and discussions, but a person directed here with a specific account related issue is likely to be completely confused.

Just commenting.

Bruce

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” - Bill Gates

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is called "Rogers Community Forums.".  The purpose of almost any forum is for forum members (peers) to help other members (peers). Hence the peer to peer comments.  Moderators or "forum owners" are able to assist and moderate as necessary, but again, the main purpose is peer to peer as you mention and as is mostly the case.  Since it is a forum, Rogers may not want the first option to be "chat" or "PM Community Helps."   Chat options are available on many other Rogers web pages.

There are all sorts of forums all over the web where members can discuss a huge variety of topics - cars, Home Theatre, etc.  Most of these function in a similar manner, with threads, etc.

People are also able to learn from the forum, using various threads, or searches to find information without even joining or posting (lurking).

PM'ing in forums is also usually similar. I can understand if a total newbie to the web/forums doesn't understand, but it should be intuitive to anyone who has participated in a forum.  A total newbie to the web might also not understand forums and mix it up with a "chat", but in those cases a Rogers rep (or one of us) usually quickly helps out.

Of course any forum can be improved and/or changed, hopefully for the better with suggestions from the members/users of the forum, in threads like this one.

I also sometimes wonder where to put my question(s), but I always do a search first for topics or key words and go from there.  This usually provides some guidance, but not always.  The Rogers people here are pretty good at moving new posts to an existing thread, if applicable.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@57  I don't dispute much of what you say, but I do want to emphasize a couple of important points.

1. You are not the typical "forum user" that may be directed from the contact page to social media.

Prior to coming do raise issues on this forum, I am a relative newbie on the forum, and for a long time have never understood the role of communityhelps, and used it as you say, peer to peer.

Given your role on other forums at very advanced levels, and your involvement over the long term on this board, you bring a knowledge of the operation of boards that is unique to many, including me - I am a user, not an expert on forums -

Rogers is creating confusion obviously for customers when they are presented at this time of day by one of three social media teams for suuport under billiing, changes, and all areas of support.

They will find Facebook, which may be new to them, or Twitter, which may also be new and the Community Forum, which may also be completely new to them.

Think of the number of people over the last few months who come asking questions like as if they were on a chat -

This is my only point in that for a person looking for support with an individual topic, they may have no idea what a peer support forum is.

I have been on technical support forums when I was in the field, educational support forums for researchers on various topics, and as an educator, but these forums were not connected with a consumer page for support.

These were provided as part of membership of a larger group - Cisco certification groups, MS certification groups, research forum groups for those involved in specific research in the field of psychology and as a teacher, many support groups for curriculum, research in the field, job opportunities, best practices, and the like.

Membership was through profession association and certification only, not open to the general population.

So my point is only that many people are obviously coming here with no awareness that it is a peer to peer support, and even if the intent of the board is not to provide direct support to a consumer or support question, but leave it to the peers, a brief explanation that when a question requires direct contact with your account information, or is specific to the individual and requires deeper analysis of their specific situation, that community helps may offer up to provide personalized support.  Just a clarification for people being directed here.

If you have hit the phones in the last year, or the chats, you will find that they often refer general customer enquiries without any awareness of the issue to the forums, or other social media methods.

As for the pupose of almost any forum is for forum members (peers) to help other members (peers), not always true.

In the examples above, there is constant involvement with moderators and key lead people and the peers to guide discussion - forums come in many different forums than just this one.

And again, my point remains that confusion is created by directing at the first contact level customers to the forum when they are trying to deal with a client specific issue, and should probably be left out of the set of contacts, except for a broader description on their web pages, for a more general discussion of issues, consider the community forums.

And yes, most operate with threads, but many of them have hierachal threads, and much more developed categorization and search tools.  They all vary in level.

I suggest you rethink your concept of intuitive - you have way too much experience and background and it shows occassionally in your posts, that you are well beyond the thinking of a newbee.

There is nothing intuitive if you are looking for a support, other than it may confuse you and back out, but some just search for a thread, and then somebody tells them this is not a chat.  So I would suggest not intutive.

But I am also carrying a bias.  I was trained as a researcher and a designer of curriculum material that if people are making the same mistake on an occasional basis with different people, that the material presented is guiding them to a certain point of view.

When pressured to find an answer and you come here as guided, I suspect confusion is more at hand, and I can assure you that when confused, or frustrated, nothing is intuitive anymore.

Just my point of view.

As a support person and a teacher, I was trained to never think that something is intuitive, because if people aren't finding it so, it isn't, and each user depending upon their experience will have different levels of intuitivenesses.

Not sure why you used the word lurking - is there something wrong with that - the forum is public and you are invited, and if the answer is intended, you aren't lurking, you are gathering required information and moving on. 

I personally have never mastered the search tool in here, so I admire those like yourself who have mastered it to your benefit.

And as a final note, yes, improvement can always occur, but I will have to agree to disagree on the topic of intuitive.

That is person specific, and I see the mistake by Rogers is to have made this location as a link for following up on things like, say Billing:

It says "

Account balances, billing, usage, payments, payment options and more

Live chat, calling and social media links are provided,

But dealing with account balances, billing usage, payments, payment options and more are generally not a peer to peer discussion on your first attempt to follow-up.

The boards aren't perfect, just suggestions put forward by user14 and myself and you.

We are all peers at various levels, I would say, yours is way above mine in terms of how the forum works and how you manage information to support others, I can't comment on user14, but he has lots of experience here too, and me, my first trrip into this world is not that long ago first with One Number, then Navigatr, and various others.

So here is to any improvements that can come.  I don't personally have any, except I have been saying for a while, that the contact page on the Rogers site needs to better clarify what the forum does, not just put it as a generic link under Facebook and Twitter that take you directly to an employee.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

Not sure why you used the word lurking - is there something wrong with that - the forum is public and you are invited, and if the answer is intended, you aren't lurking, you are gathering required information and moving on. 

There is nothing wrong with lurking, it is simply a descriptive term.  I didn't mean it in any derogatory manner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Ok, thanks for clarification - my mind sometimes reads more into words than is there - just me - thanks again for the clarification.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@BS Nothing wrong with "lurking", it just applies to someone who reads a lot more than they write, if at all. Smiley Wink

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

User14

Note the automatic message below.   It makes me wonder about the feedback mechanisms of this forum as well as how to get to the "Rogers Community Forum Team" to address your specific issue.

I didn't see anything acknowledging my suggestion to improve the structure, although I did get a response from RogersDarell in the Farwell to RogersMargaret  post when I first asked about making some taxonomy improvements to this site.  This kind of automatic follow-up is symptomatic of the problem when trying to suggest improvements. I still think the forum structure is messy and convoluted, making it quite difficult for people to quickly find the information they need.  I am also wondering who on the Forums Team is wondering if I received an answer.  Smiley Wink

Let the Rogers Community Forums know if you have received the answer you needed.

Hi User14,

Just wondering if you had received the answer you needed. If so, you should let the Rogers Community Forums know so that the answer can help other members.

Need to check? See the thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Suggestion-for-Improvement/m-p/...

The Rogers Community Forums Team

Hey guys,

I apologize for the delay in some of the responses. Rest assure to know that all feedback provided is logged and looked into as we continue to improve the Rogers Community Forums. Some ideas take longer to action, while some are not possible at a given time, etc. There are many deciding factors such as limitations, execution, etc when determining what can or cannot be done. 

@User14,  are you still encountering the PM error message? We had a fix implemented awhile back that should've resolved it. If you continue to encounter, please send us a PM with a screenshot attached so we can troubleshoot with Lithium.

@57, you can continue posting your feedback in this specific board. We created the Community Questions & Suggestions board solely to help improve the overall Community experience.

Thank you again for everyone's support!

RogersRoland

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 in conversation