cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry priv marshmallow update?

Woodypower
I'm here a lot

Just wondering if anyone has received the android 6.0 update for their Blackberry Priv? My new Rogers Priv is on 5.1.1 and the phone will not find a later update when I search. Yet the upgrade schedule on this website says that 6.0.1 is the currently supported version. Any thoughts?

*Edited Labels*

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Blackberry priv marshmallow update?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Davidwr

Once Rogers receives the update from the manufacturers they check them over. In your case it seems like the device isn't communicating with their servers for the update which has been released.

Cancelling the contract is up to you but you will have to pay the flextab remaining for the device u just got ( which is lost likely $400 or so) and also the last months bill. ( If u passed the 30 minute mark or 15 day return policy this applies)

HarvMan
I plan to stick around
Davidwr,

You are definitely not getting any help from Rogers.
Instead of getting quotes for terminating your plan, suggest you phone support and escalate as necessary.
As a customer of Rogers you deserve utmost respect and service.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @HarvMan

The quote above I posted was only to let him know what to expect when cancelling his or her services. Many don't know. So as a user we are able to let others know :). ( If that's what u were referring too).

He can escalate it to level 2 tech and see if they can push the update out BUT I doubt that would happen as the Rogers techs don't have a way to push the update out to your cellphone. Opening a ticket and letting them know what's going on may help with something.

Have a good day!

Davidwr
I plan to stick around
I talked to Rogers tech again tonight and they said there is a new update coming out but they are unsure of when. The tech support said they can't push updates. Not sure if that's true. I'm going to attempt a autoloader of the new updates and see if that sets things right. If not I will take phone back and get a store credit. Not very happy but I'm on my own to fix this as Rogers management don't talk to customers.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I would have to agree with the discussion to keep pushing at tech support to higher levels, and bring in management then Office of President via the escalation process.

If you hear from someone to do something that does not make sense to you, or you have done before, I would just state that and ask to escalate - whether they want to or not - it is your right to ask, and if they won't, you escalate until you get satisfaction.

Interestingly, you are not the only one to go through this, and in the earlier posts, it doesn't seem that anything that anybody suggested or tried resovled the problem, it just suddenly pushed out the updates for whatever reason.

But don't get into discussing costs of opting out - work as long as you can keep your patience (ultimately, you decide what you are willing to put up with) - save those for Office of President, and maybe they give you a replacement phone that already has the updates installed.

Advice to anyone who is considering buying the phone, if your update doesn't come within a day or two, start the tech support, and consider asking them to find a replacement that has been tested and running on the new upgrades.

It is not an unknown problem, and your described support so far has certainly been unlimited.

I am more and more just using direct contact with Rogers directly and patiently and persistently keep pushing.

I use the forum to ask questions or clarifications on my services, to provide advice where I can, and keep the fixing of my personal issues with services to the levels of support and I use the escalation whenever I feel it is necessary.

It has proven effective for me.  I also compliment them directly when things go well.

Just my two cents - hope you get the magic, out of the netherlands download of the update.

It is unfortunate that BB didn't build into their versions of Android the ability to do straight side loads and reinstalls of their current software builds, but then again, it is not a BB, it is a BB shell running on an Android.

It is so unfortunate that BB couldn't compete (although they are ever present in automous cars, technological advances in cars, traffic control, higher level security systems and many other areas).  Kind of like IBM when the clones took over the lower end of their hardware business, and they sold everything to Lenovo and moved back to corporate and solutions provision.

Bruce

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Davidwr

That is correct. Tech support can not push updates to single cellphone devices. That is not possible for them yet or can not happen unless it's a mass release.

Have you passed the 30 minute talk time ( not including *611 to Rogers)? If so then unfortunately they won't let u as the buyers remorse is only valid if u have not used more then 30 minutes of talk time and or u are within the 15 day of purchase. Whichever one comes first.

Hopefully the update does come to u.

As @BS said, when Blackberry started using Android, they lost control over updates and carriers have control now. Unfortunately it seems either Rogers servers stopped pushing them out or something is going on. Keep in contact with tech support and keep going higher. The Office of the President won't do much as they have no control over updates either. All they can do is just either try and get u the same device with the new software OR give u a credit. Unfortunately they can't push out updates either.

Davidwr
I plan to stick around
As I stated. I can update the device using autoloader. Blackberry provides the app and the files for doing an autoloader install. It's the way that the phones are loaded in event of crash or lockup. I talked to Rogers and I cannot be given a new device as I got it from best buy and best buy isn't anymore in. So I can either autoload or get a store credit which won't cover another new phone. I'm stuck and I'm going to attempt the autoload. I've done them in the past with bb10 devices. That way I can get the newest software. As for escalating there isn't much they will do as I bought the phone from best buy and not Rogers store.

Davidwr
I plan to stick around
In all honesty and after 20 years being a Rogers client I've seen this happen before. I really believe Rogers is not sending out updates on purpose. To force clients to go to newer devices as blackberry will continue to update security patches. Rogers I assume want me to go to a newer phone as well as other users. There is no reason for me not to have any updates at all. I'm still on first freaking release of Android. It isn't blackberries fault. They are supporting the device and I know this because even today new updates are out. But Rogers isn't releasing them. Shame on Rogers. Shame on you big time.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

My only suggestion is to push this issue up to the engineering level.  For some reason, the updates are not being detected by the device when it checks for updates, or the servers are not pushing them out.

As long as they are selling them, and supporting them, it is somebody's responsibility to support under that warranty, and who ever is responsible for running the servers to push the updates, they need to be pushed to fix it.  

This is the only reason I suggest if necessary, get the office of president to set a fire under engineering level, or provide you with some form of restitution for a phone that is not operating as marketed.  We are told what the current builds are, and we should be getting them. It is not unique to Rogers - there are reports about Verizon having the same issues, and like the earlier posts, updates on October purchases, suddenly had updates come down in December.  Maybe they will come with the next security updates (if there are any), but I still feel Engineering should be interacting with Blackberry and Android (who ever is responsible for update pushes failing) and get a solution.  Or stop selling the product, eat the loss on inventory and offer replacements for priv devices that are not updating.

I got caught in a circular path of a bad design of phone with Rogers on one occasion, with a known issue, and ultimatly, I had all four phones replaced with newer more stable products.  I did this through the office of the president.

I don't see this as an issue of buyer's remorse - it is an issue of who is providing the warranty support to fix this whole issue, whether it is something on the device, or the servers.

Bruce

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 in conversation