will an iphone with a telus sim card that powers up work on the rogers network?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

will an iphone with a telus sim card that powers up work on the rogers network?

I currently have a cell phone plan and number with Rogers Wireless.

I need to replace my iphone and SIM card.

If I purchase an iphone with a telus sim card (that powers up) can I remove the telus sim card, purchase a replacement rogers wireless sim card, and subsequently activate the iphone on the rogers wirless network and use it as a replacement phone for my previous iphone? 

***EDITED LABELS***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: will an iphone with a telus sim card that powers up work on the rogers network?

Hello @alanac

In order for the iPhone to work with Rogers, that iPhone needs to be unlocked for it to work with the Rogers sim card and on the Rogers network.

If the iPhone is unlocked, then yes you can get a Rogers sim card, activate it on your account and put it into the phone. It will then show Rogers on the top.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: will an iphone with a telus sim card that powers up work on the rogers network?

Thank you for the response!

Do you know how I would be able to tell whether the iphone is unlocked or not?

Apparently the iphone powers up but doesn't come with any adapters.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @alanac

The only way of knowing is inserting a Rogers sim or another sim card from another carrier and see it if registers.

You can also take it to the Apple store with the buyer and see if they can see if its unlocked before the purchase. This is the best route to be honest.

If the phone is locked to Telus, you would need to have the original owner unlock it by Telus and then give it to you.

I Plan to Stick Around

The original owner will know if it's locked or not.  Have them call Telus and get the phone unlocked.  Chances are that Telus will do this for free (as the CRTC has ruled that no carrier locks are allowed as of Dec 1 of this year).

Test it with your Rogers SIM before you give them the cash.  If it says "Invalid SIM" then it's still locked on Telus and you should hold off on paying them until it's unlocked. 

(if they can't get it unlocked by Telus, it could even be a stolen device - and blacklisted - so it may not work on any network).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @Open_Mobile

As said above as well in other replies, they could also take it to the Apple store and check it out with the seller before agreeing to buy it.

Also Telus will still charge the fee. The fee will be charged until December 1st as explain above. So reps are still charging the customers. Just a FYI. Some may not but most do. Once the CRTC ruling comes in affect then yes its free.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, the Apple Store is a great suggestion.

This isn't entirely accurate however:

"If the phone is locked to Telus, you would need to have the original owner unlock it by Telus and then give it to you."

Any Telus subscriber with a device locked to Telus could get the device unlocked (provided there isn't still subsidy associated with that phone) - if so the subsidy would need to be paid off before they would agree to unlock it.

They need to have their active Telus SIM in the device when they call to request the removal of the SIM lock.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @Open_Mobile

This is the accurate information from their website. The owner much either have it registered the device for 90 days on the account if it was done via upgrade or if the device balances is not owing anymore or they bought it outright it can happen immediately. That's all I am saying....

So no one can just go to Telus, get a sim card and ask then to unlock it other then the original owner.

" To be eligible to have your subsidized device unlocked, your current device must have been active on the TELUS network for a minimum of 90 days. There is a one-time fee for unlocking.

If you have purchased your phone outright or do not have an outstanding device balance, you can pay a one-time fee to immediately unlock your device.

Eligibility

Both your device and your account must meet all eligibility conditions below. TELUS may refuse any unlock request that appears intended to defraud TELUS or its customers.

Device eligibility
Device is locked to the TELUS network (TELUS can only unlock TELUS devices)
Device is not flagged as lost or stolen

For a subsidized device with a Device Balance, if it has been active on the TELUS network for a minimum of 90 days
For a device purchased outright or without an outstanding Device Balance, no restrictions (the device can be unlocked immediately by paying the applicable fee)

Account eligibility
For postpaid accounts, the account is active

For prepaid accounts, there is a credit balance available to cover the unlocking fee

Your account is associated with the device to be unlocked (TELUS only unlocks the devices upon the customer’s own request)

Device Unlock charges

Device Unlock charge is currently $50 but may vary depending on your service agreement with us.

I Plan to Stick Around

And, how does that differ from what I said?

"Your account is associated with the device to be unlocked"

- means that the device has been used by the current owner...not necessarily that they are the original owner.

If there's no subsidy on the device and it's not stolen, any Telus subscriber with an active subscriber SIM in the device could have it unlocked.  (the call centre rep will look to see which device is connected by the subscriber at the time of the call).

You just like being argumentative or quoting regulations? Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @Open_Mobile

Should I have worded it a bit better? Yes but in the end we both are giving the correct information now and I almost posted what is posted on their website.

Also no I don't sit here and try to start arguments or anything.

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation