cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted text messages...

cdnklc
I've been here awhile

From the day I activated an i-phone 3 gs I have received one text message a day with a "win an i-pad" message by answering a silly multiple choice message and texting back to 55 155.

On my last bill I had a $60 add on that seemed to be related for accessing special services.  Rogers customer services quickly credited the account when called and said they would cease but they're still coming.

I have texted back "stop", "stop all" and several other suggested options, all to not avail.

Any suggestions as to how to end to this annoying intrusion or block further messages would be helpful....

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: unwanted text messages...

Hello all,

Would just like to clarify.  While we do encourage you to try to stop the messages yourself by replying STOP, END, or STOP ALL, END ALL to the message as these are the usual commands to unregister the service.  The service itself will usually provide the steps on how to unregister.  If you are still having difficulty and the commands are not working Rogers will work with customers on an individual basis to get the messages to stop, this would require a call into customer care.  

If you are not on a plan or bundle and receive any spam message, simply text the 10 digit cellular number of the received messages to Short code 7726 (SPAM) and your account will be credited accordingly on your next invoice.

If you do have a text plan you can use extreme sms to block numbers that are sending you unwanted messages. 

Blocker

Block text messages from an unwanted source. Owners of the mobile numbers that you block will not be notified that you blocked their number.

Set Up:
To block a number from being able to text message your phone:

1. Using your iPhone or Android™ devices - Go to http://www.rogers.com/m/extremetext to access the set up page.

Other smartphones and mobile phones - text XTREME to 4716 to be sent a link to the set up page or open your mobile browser to access the Rogers Mobile Internet Portal. Select My Account, then Extreme Text Messaging.

2. Select Text Blocker.  

3. Select Block A Number

4. Enter the 10-digit wireless number you would like to have blocked.

5. Click on Block Numbers.

To remove a number from your blocked list or to view the full list of numbers blocked:
1. Select Text Blocker.
2. Select Unblocked Numbers.
3. Click the box to the left of the number, removing it from your list.
4. Then hit Unblock Selected Numbers.

Cost: No charge.

Thanks,

RogersAndrewNP

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

pink17
I'm here a lot

Are you able to block the number that the texts are coming from? Is it an actual 10 digit phone number sending them to you?

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi cdnklc and welcome to the community!

Try replying STOP in capital letters, I believe lower case is not enough. If it keeps coming I recommend speaking with customer care again at 1866-931-3282 or trying to find out the name of the sender so you can file a complaint.

cdnklc
I've been here awhile

i have texted your suggested response - STOP in capital letters - and will let you know if they do...

thanks

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Another common way to stop premium SMS (spam) is by replying with UNSUBSCRIBE if STOP doesnt work.

Cheers

James
I'm a senior contributor

I did a quick google search on the number you put above and found a phone number for the company charging you. If when you reply "Stop" you don't get an automated message back advising you have been unsubscribed, then try calling them to manually do it.

Their number is 1-877-777-3891.

Best of luck,

rainerfloo
I've been here awhile

Hello. I just received a text message from sprized, and as I have never subscribed to anything like this, I looked it up and read about people being charged for incoming texts they never asked for. I also read consistently that texting "stop" in reply would prevent any further texts, but would not prevent a charge for the one received already. So I immediately called Rogers 611 and had a block put on my account and inquired as to whether any charge was showing for the one just received. The rep said she could not see any yet but that it may still appear and that there would be nothing she could do about that. I would need to deal with sprized to see if I could get the charge reversed. I cannot believe this is legal. And whether or not it is legal, it is the dumbest customer relations move Rogers has made in a while. The forums and boards I am reading are filled with folks who, like me, will simply move from Rogers if this policy is upheld. How could anyone have expected anything different? Wow. 

In any case, I am emailing this now, within a half an hour of receipt of the text and my instant phone call to 611, and am awaiting my next bill with keen interest. I will pursue absolutely every single avenue available to me to ensure I am satisfied on this matter, including ombudsmen, CEOs, the media, and the social media. And, obviously, ending my relationship with the company.

Soma
I've been around
Noticed this thread and decided to lend some I site as to why Rogers (and pretty much any cell phone provider) will not credit for these text messages. Premium text messages are billed by the company to your carrier from the company that sends them and then your carrier passes that charge onto you. The cell phone company does not make a profit from this at all. Premium messages have been around as long as text messaging has. If you call up your cellular provider they should be able to block them so you stop incurring the charges but I've done customer care for multiple cell phone companies and all of them had the policy of never crediting for them.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Actually Soma Rogers has been able to credit many people from charges like this. Yes they have the policy but what rep actually listens to the policies? You have reps which lie, give the wrong info & such.

I have had this exact same issue with Rogers & Bell & they BOTH were able to credit me back. Also searching i saw many others with the same feedback as me.

Although i do agree premium texts are billed straight from the company & not Rogers, Rogers does have agreements tho with the companies which let them have access tho.

vivekvp
I plan to stick around

I recieved a txt from a number for an Ipad going to http://www.canada.coolsms.info to claim my prize.

How do I stop these **bleep**?

Thanks,

V

Techboy
I plan to stick around

Yep, hit STOP and that will usually do it.  The way this happened is that at some point you put in your cell number for a sketchy internet contest.  In this day and age, you should probably know better.

Rogers will of course divert themselves of any responsibility, and say there is nothing they can do.  If you are not dealing with them from a point of potentially committing to paying them more money, you will not get help.  Some carriers offer blocking, it is possible to do so.  However that requires rogers do something on your behalf...so you can forget it.  Type STOP and try to forget about the text scammers because you are not getting that money back.

Hello all,

Would just like to clarify.  While we do encourage you to try to stop the messages yourself by replying STOP, END, or STOP ALL, END ALL to the message as these are the usual commands to unregister the service.  The service itself will usually provide the steps on how to unregister.  If you are still having difficulty and the commands are not working Rogers will work with customers on an individual basis to get the messages to stop, this would require a call into customer care.  

If you are not on a plan or bundle and receive any spam message, simply text the 10 digit cellular number of the received messages to Short code 7726 (SPAM) and your account will be credited accordingly on your next invoice.

If you do have a text plan you can use extreme sms to block numbers that are sending you unwanted messages. 

Blocker

Block text messages from an unwanted source. Owners of the mobile numbers that you block will not be notified that you blocked their number.

Set Up:
To block a number from being able to text message your phone:

1. Using your iPhone or Android™ devices - Go to http://www.rogers.com/m/extremetext to access the set up page.

Other smartphones and mobile phones - text XTREME to 4716 to be sent a link to the set up page or open your mobile browser to access the Rogers Mobile Internet Portal. Select My Account, then Extreme Text Messaging.

2. Select Text Blocker.  

3. Select Block A Number

4. Enter the 10-digit wireless number you would like to have blocked.

5. Click on Block Numbers.

To remove a number from your blocked list or to view the full list of numbers blocked:
1. Select Text Blocker.
2. Select Unblocked Numbers.
3. Click the box to the left of the number, removing it from your list.
4. Then hit Unblock Selected Numbers.

Cost: No charge.

Thanks,

RogersAndrewNP

Techboy
I plan to stick around

RogersAndrew is trying to be helpful, unfortunately he cannot change Rogers policy:

Here is the truthful translation of his statements:

Rogers has the ability to block scam text messages, but chooses not to do so.  We clearly know who is charging you, because those charges are relayed via your phone bill.  However, it financially benefits us to allow it, so deal with it.  If you want us to act on your behalf, too bad.  It's not our problem.

If you follow a bunch of steps, maybe you can stop the messages.  Maybe not.  However, don't ask us to do anything about it, and yes we are going to charge you for fraudulently received messages.  Merry Christmas.

DMK
I've been around

I just noticed now that I have been charged $44 a month since February for third party charges!!  It is on a shared plan and the number that has been "spammed" belongs to my 12 year old son.  Is there any recourse to recoup this money and file a complain for them solicting a minor!?!?

lizmcd
I've been here awhile

Myself as well as most of my co-workers and friends who are using Rogers got a text from a local number and it was complete spam. 

The only explanation that we can come up with is that Rogers Wireless has sold our phone numbers. The number is 1.613.263.7850 - and here is the message we ALL got: http://cl.ly/image/0N0X3E2a452t.

Does anyone have an idea as to why so many people got this message?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello lizmod

It happens with every carrier. Same thing with emails. Does that mean Gmail., Hotmail, Outlook and Yahoo email sell your email to another company?. It could be true but without any proof we are speaking about this.

I get those texts but i ignore them. Delete them and thats all. Life moves on as we say. Yes it does get annoying but nothing can be done unless Rogers or the CRTC steps in.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Just as you get cold calls from say the duct cleaning companies, etc, alot of these things are from autodialers or similar systems.

Can very easy just spam out to numbers in sequence, etc.

lizmcd
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the replies Moewmix & Gdkitty. 

I just wish Rogers would fess us up/do something about the spam texts. I just got another one this morning. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Lizmcd

Even if Rogers fess up and all, they can not do much. They may be able to block those numbers BUT spammers and scammers get new numbers every second. I get those texts and just ignore it and delete it. i do not even bother with it. Yea it gets annoying but i can not do anything.

Thats just it.. its all alot easier said than done.. for telephone spam PERIOD.

There is the DNC list.. if you are on it, and a telemarketer calls.. you can report them, and they will be fined.

Great! Right?

Well... MOST telephone systems that call centers that would be doing the calling use.. you can change the CID on the fly that is displayed... hard to report them when you dont have the phoe number to report them by.

Even if the number is correct... many of them, are outsourcing to other countrys to do the cold calling.. they cant legaly go after the company thats in the other country for going against the DNC list.

With the cellular texts.. IF you have Rogers One Number tied with it, i beleive you can set up some rules for BLOCKING from specific places.. BUT.. if they change their number.. its all a moot point.

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Rubbish. The carriers including Robers have all the power to control the spammers. When the spammers spam the carriers customers the carrier gets a chunk of that pay. The more they spammers spam mobile phones, the more the carriers get.  So what's the incentive for the carriers to stop?

Recently many people were dinged $1 and up for spam messages from 13131313. There is another thread on them. Rogers blamed the user it was their fault that they got dinged. They said we all signed up. They had a very bad attitude and treated many like criminals. It wasn't until the media and a surge of complaints came in that a memo went out internally that Rogers ultimately reversed the spam messages....at a cost. We all had to block premium messages. Premium messages also includes banking reminders from banks and credit card companies, transit info, twitter, etc. 

People, especially Canadians in particular are horribly gullible and with great great resistance believe that the corps, businesses, and government don't have our best interest.  They try to make themselves feel better and say that there is nothing that can be done, when it's completely the opposite. 

Topic Stats