cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mms over wifi

Nogs
I'm here a lot
I'm finding that no mms', either voicemail 2 texts, or regular mms' are downloading when I'm connected to wifi.

OS there an appropriate setting that needs to be changed? Is it the carrier or device manufacturer that doesn't allow this?
44 REPLIES 44

Re: mms over wifi

Hello, @racecoach

Since the issue is happening on all the WiFi networks, it seems like the MMS service is getting blocked when the device is connected to a WiFi network. It's puzzling because the default Samsung Messaging app uses the cellular network to get/send SMS/MMS. For the MMS to work, the data must be turned on even though it doesn't use the data. 

The other messaging app like Google Messages uses data either WiFi or cellular data if the Enhanced features(RCS) are enabled. So at times, the MMS can fail when connected to a WiFi network if the Internet is not working. 

The WhatsApp can't be used for the SMS/MMS service. However, it's a freeware which can be used to get/send text messages, voice/video calls, images, videos, documents etc. 

I appreciate your patience and understanding!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I have also been suddenly experiencing this problem for the last month or so.

After numerous attempts to figure out then issue and couldn’t I called Rogers help and they told me I would have to take my new device in to get repaired.  I didn’t want to accept this was the issue so I ignored it for a few weeks.  It started becoming a problem again and I still couldn’t figure out the issue so I reached out to the online chat support on Rogers website and two different agents tried to help and couldn’t fix it.  They even reset the MMS profile on my account and that didn’t help either. They recommended I complete a factory reset on the phone and this should fix the problem however if it doesn’t, take it in for repair.

I hesitated for more than 24 hours to do a factory reset because I had a lot of data, apps, photos, music and a work profile for android enterprise.  I have a Huawei P20 Pro and the only way to backup the phone properly is using Huawei’s HiSuite on a computer which happens to only be compatible program for Windows and we have a MacBook.  I decided that the google account backup will have to be good enough and did a factory reset anyway.

In short the factory reset did not fix the issue either and I lost all the photos, music, text messages, downloads, etc. that were local on the phone.  Photos and music are backed up and I just need to re-download these (painful but possible) but the other items are gone forever.

Today I read the posts in this thread and tried all the fixes, e.g. data saver on with unrestricted access for messages and other things but nothing worked.  I reviewed the APN file information and the server IP wasn’t there and there was another inconsistency with proxy having a URL instead of IP and different APN type but none of that should matter since it (MMS messages with photos) used to work then suddenly stopped.

The one thing I changed that did make photo messaging work after all this - was enabling enhanced Wi-Fi service (Wi-Fi+ on Huawei).  Strangely this again is something I never had enable before so photo messaging used to work without it and suddenly doesn’t anymore.  What bothers me about this is even though I’m not a very high user for video, etc. on my phone it is irritating that I don’t have any idea how much data my phone will now be using just so I can send the odd photo message in the default messages app.

Hello, @bubba319ab.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for your detailed post, I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have completed to resolve the MMS issue on your device and share with the Community. 

It's interesting to know that enabling Wi-Fi+ yielded a positive result. When you have enabled Wi-Fi+, your device will automatically select and connect to the optimal network.  And automatically select and connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve previously connected to, free networks, or your mobile data network, depending on the signal strength at your current location. So I suggest beware of the connection status of your device. Say if it's mostly finding the mobile data to be optimal then it may not switch to the Wi-Fi network resulting in a surprise billing.

For the MMS messaging to work the mobile data must be enabled even though it will not count towards the data usage. However, if Huawei has already integrated RCS in the messaging app then the usage of data is counted in the absence of a Wi-Fi connection. If you are sending an odd photo message then you don't have to worry as it should only be few hundred kilobytes (less than a megabyte). 

Thank you for your participation in the Community!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

BS
I'm a senior advisor

The issue of MMS when WIFI is on is not unique to Rogers, or to Android - a search of the Internet, and you will find similiar issues on iOS too.

In my case, it is intermittent, I have had many discussions with Rogers tech support, and we narrowed my case down to signal strength - we have very limited LTE data strength in our home and around our home - it has improved a bit when they added an antenna onto a telephone pole just outside of our neighbourhood.  Prior to that, best we could do in our home was 1 or no bars - and the tech who check what I was receiving indicated at best I was getting EDGE levels.

If I had my WIFI on, which of course in my home I would, I could not send or receive MMS (and yes, celluar data is on - I don't have a data plan so I don't have to worry about whether I have it on or not and I don't travel).

This is when signals were low - my wife and I are challenged to keep a conversation going if I walk around my house the signal is so poor.

But what I had to do is stop the MMS send by closing the app, then turn off my WIFI and go outside or to a location with better signal and try again.  Then it worked.

What I have been told is that when there is low signal strength, the fact that the antennas are all on - GPS, bluetooth, WIFI and cellular, that there is not enough power dedicated to the data cellular as it tries to keep connection with the poor signal, so it never is able to send until I stop it, find a stronger signal, and turn off WIFI, then it goes right away.

Pain in the neck, and Rogers did made a small effort to improve the signal (one to two bars now) by adding the additional booster to a telephone pole.

Bruce

karl4
I've been around

Hello,

I am having the same issue - long story short: can't download / send mms messages when phone is connected to wifi.

Data is on

I have used this phone with another carrier and there was absolutely no issue with mms messages while connected to wifi.

I tried in total 3 different phones - that work on another carried - but once I put my rogers sim in - then it stops working.

I have a new sim.

Don't know what the issues is and how to solve it.  It's annoying to have to continually turn wifi on / off for MMS messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, @karl4.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thank you for joining and for posting your concern in the Community. 

If the MMS works over the data then it implies it's properly configured on the network side. Since it's failing when the phone is connected to the WiFi it's possible that the service is getting blocked. MMS uses port 80, can you confirm it's not blocked on your router?

Also, can you provide the following info?

• The make and model of the phone
  • Is it a Rogers' device?
  • Which messaging app are you using?
  • Have you tried different messaging apps?
  • Is WiFi calling enabled on your phone?
  • Does your router support both IPv4 and IPv6?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I had this issue as well. it work fine until I enabled wifi calling. I turned off wifi calling and this issue went away.

dedegrassi
I've been here awhile

@User167 wrote:
I had this issue as well. it work fine until I enabled wifi calling. I turned off wifi calling and this issue went away.

This was my exact issue.  Disabled WiFi calling and the issue was resolved.  Hopefully this helps others as well.

FWIW my phone is a Pixel 2 XL but doubt that has any bearing on the results.

jroy56
I've been here awhile

Pixel 2 not downloading MMS when on wifi

My Pixel 2 will not download any photos or GIF's while my phone is on wifi. I get the notification and then just a spinning wheel forever. Needs to be off of wifi before it will download. Also still takes a while for that to happen.

Anyone have any fix suggestions?

jroy56
I've been here awhile

Disabling wifi calling fixed the problem. 

Dethtung
I've been around

What happened to MMS over Wi-Fi?

Hi, I recently bought a Note 10 Plus and I can't send or receive MMS over Wi-Fi, I always have to turn my Data on and have it gobble up my precious MB. My previous phone was a Pixel XL and I had it set to use Wi-Fi. Have I been screwed by switching to the Note 10 Plus or does anyone know if the settings can be changed?

Good afternoon @Dethtung!

Welcome to our Community.

Do you happen to still have your Pixel XL? I'm curious to see you swap SIMs back into your Pixel XL if the issue will persist or not.

In this way, we can figure out if it's a device-specific issue or an issue within our network.

Regards

RogersCorey

I cannot open vidoes or photos sent from iphones to my android. Is that normal?

Hey @Jannacooper77!

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with MMS! Can you provide us with a bit more information? Is this over WiFi vs Data? Is it occurring in a specific app? What are the software versions and models of the devices being used? Have you tried clearing the messaging app cache in the settings?

@RogersAndy

I'm having the same problem as OP, can't send or receive MMS while WiFi is on. Including group texts and images/videos. I tried creating a new APN with the information given here but nothing has changed.

Hello and welcome to our Community @Aspina9!

I'm Corey and I'm one of your friendly neighbourhood mods on staff today. 🙂

How long has this issue been ongoing? Did it ever use to work? If it did, do you recall the approximate date that you first noticed that it was no longer working?

Would you mind sharing which model phone and OS version you're using? Before I can offer any assistance, I need to know what I'm working with.

Thank you! 

Regards,

RogersCorey

SATANBMF
I've been here awhile

Having an issue with messages not sending lately. Seems to happen sometimes to me but quite often on my wife's phone. Messages won't send all the time unless she's connected to wifi.

We don't have a data plan and are using the default Android messaging app. Never had a problem until maybe a month or two ago.

Any ideas?

Hello @SATANBMF!

Welcome to our Community!

Is this issue happening only when you're trying to send texts from within your home or is it happening potentially anywhere you use your devices? 

Please let us know. Depending upon your answer, I'll know how to tailor my troubleshooting going forward.

Regards,

RogersCorey

SATANBMF
I've been here awhile

Hi, this happens anywhere but seems to happen more commonly away from our home (and Internet connection). Our phones are both Androids (different models), and still relatively new. We don't have data but in the settings we have data turned on (otherwise we can't send or receive picture messages. Thanks

Hello, @SATANBMF.

Thank you for providing us with the additional info.

The Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) uses the data channel to send/receive picture/video messages. So we must turn the data on the device to send/receive picture/video messages. For regular text messages (SMS), you don’t need the data to be on.

Since you have don’t have the data plan, unless the device connects to WiFi, it can’t send/receive an MMS message. I hope this helps.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

SATANBMF
I've been here awhile

Hi, 

Thanks again for a reply!  However your response isn't entirely correct:

Yes data on the device has to be turned on to send/receive picture/video messages.  However, even though we do not have a data plan the device IS still actually able to send/receive mms messages WITHOUT being connected to wifi, it's always been this way.  The messages we have had trouble sending/receiving are a mix of MMS and SMS messages.

An update however,  today I called tech support and the associate at Rogers asked us to shut down the phones for a few minutes while he reset/updated something.  So far so good today as everything's gone through as expected.  Hopefully whatever he did solved the problem.  

I'll try to post an update after a few days/weeks here to see if everything's back to normal.

Thanks again for your input!

Topic Stats