cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL

skolagotla
I'm here a lot

Does any one on know when is rogers planning to push wi-fi calling feature on Pixel 2 devices ?.

***Edited Labels***

53 REPLIES 53

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL

colem
I'm here a lot

I have noticed that now that I've activated the wi-fi calling via tech support my phone no longer connects/displays LTE+,  only LTE , when I toggle off wi-fi. I've opened another ticket with tech support to investigate

I 'am not sure if all these tech support people have same answers or they just tell whatever comes to there imagination tell them

Now the tech support tells me that Pixel 2 XL is not listed as one of the supported devices.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 11.50.45 PM.png

Nick0703
I've been here awhile

Some of the tech supports have no clue what they're talking about.  Same thing happened to me, first one I got in contact with on Facebook was totally useless. So I contacted them again the next day and got someone who was actually helpful.

Can some post a screenshot of Rogers wifi in the pixel 2/XL phone screen ?

wtv12
I plan to stick around
@Nick0703 Rogers advertises wifi calling only for Rogers phones but I did say earlier on the thread that if you contact them and ask them to add your IMEI to their database it might work. I assumed he had already done so and it still wasn't working, my bad

I did buy the phone from Rogers and contacted tech support and still doesn't work

Hello @skolagotla,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a frustrating experience getting the most from your Pixel 2. 

As stated by users in this thread, your device should now be compatible with VoLTE and WiFi Calling.  Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can investigate. For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersShaun

hello @CommunityHelps

No 2 members of the phone tech support teams seem to give same answers, some say they do not support wi-fi calling on Pixel 2 phones and some say it is supported.

I 'am currently out of the country where I have adequate wi-fi, however, am unable to use wifi calling and was forced to take a local phone number and keep in touch with family and friends..

Support is not really helpful in anyway

this is how good Rogers support is and after 1 hour wait time.. there is no help to be found..

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 3.24.49 PM.png

Is the emergency contact information filled out?

JoshuaAustin
I plan to stick around
Just chiming in to say my Pixel 2 XL just started working with VOLTE. My phone was purchased directly from Google.

I'm super happy to finally see resolution to this long standing issue. I went an entire year with no VOLTE on my Pixel XL.

JoshuaAustin
I plan to stick around
I just setup wifi calling and that worked as well.

apoorv
I've been here awhile

I asked Tech support on chat today and they said it wasn't possible to add the IMEI ("whitelist it") if I bought the device from Google, or anywhere else other than Rogers.

Can anyone confirm this will actually happen if needed? I use Wifi calling a lot and it's a big deal if it won't activate.

Hello @apoorv,

We can certainly take a look at adding your IMEI, however, we cannot guarantee full functionality as it is a non-Rogers device.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can investigate. For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersShaun

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@cstl3722 wrote:
It's possible if you convince them.

Anyone heard about video calling on the Pixel 2 ?

I bought a 64G Pixel 2 today and it has video calling and WiFi calling.  Finally, I can reliably use my cell phone for phone calls in my home!  Also, I'm really impressed with the speaker audio quality.  It also provides IPv6 to tethered devices.

I'm favourably impressed with the phone.

What I am not impressed with is the clerk at the first Rogers store I tried to buy it from.  Apparently, there were no 64G phones in stock, so he tried to sell me the 128G version without telling me.  I found out about it when I heard the price. Instead of doing that, he should have said they were out of stock and only the 128G was available and then let me decide.  I walked out then and there and went to another Rogers store, where I got the last one..

BTW, I bought the phone outright as no matter what plan I went with, to get it at a discount, by the end of 2 years, the increase in my bill would have more than paid the full cost.  So, I still have my old plan, with 6GB of data, MY10 list, unlimited texts, unlimited evenings and weekend calls, 200 week day minutes and call display & call forwarding for $65/month.

JKnott

@RogersShaun wrote:

Hello @apoorv,

We can certainly take a look at adding your IMEI, however, we cannot guarantee full functionality as it is a non-Rogers device.

I bought a Pixel 2 from Rogers today.  I have enabled WiFi calling.  Do I have to do anything else for VoLTE?  How do I know if it's enabled?

tnx jk

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@JKnott

I am with you on your decision to just walk out on principle, but fortunately, I have the time, so I would take it up with the manager - the only way they can improve is if they are told and I am a believer in quality improvement and if an employee is just not suited, after feedback and training, as a manager, I always moved them on.

If not satisfied with the manager's answer, then I would report a concern on the Rogers MyRogers page down on the right side near the bottom after your account details.

And remember to pass on thanks for the store who got it right.  If people above don't know, it is likely to happen with the next.  You have the right to advise companies how you expect to be served, up to them to decide if they want to implement your idea, but you have every right to be annoyed.

Glad it worked out in the end.

Good for you for being able to keep your old plan and for doing as I always say:,  do the full math on the purchase outright and keeping a great plan (and that is a great plan for sure), or subsidizing through the plan change costs.  For those who can afford to make these purchases upfront, always way the pros and cons of the cost of buying outright or changing plan with subsidy in both the short term cash flow, and the long term comparative cost differences.

Enjoy the new phone - my daughter got one from a competitor on the big sale last week - she did need more data, for what I don't know but it is her money, and she is loving the device.

Enjoy, Bruce

JKnott

@JKnott wrote:

I bought a Pixel 2 from Rogers today.  I have enabled WiFi calling.  Do I have to do anything else for VoLTE?  How do I know if it's enabled?

tnx jk

I found the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" setting and it's enabled.  I guess that means VoLTE.  Smiley Happy

JKnott

VoLTE certainly makes for better audio quality and with WiFi calling, I finally have reliable service in my home.  Previously, I had OK service at one end of my condo, but poor at the other.

JKnott

I was just using Wireshark to look at the WiFi calling traffic and found it uses IPSec encryption.  So, it appears our calls will be confidential.  I have no way to verify, but I suspect it may be the same via LTE.

Anyone here from Rogers who might know if calls over LTE are also encrypted?

I also noticed it's using IPv4, even though both the cell network and Rogers internet support IPv6.

jk

Topic Stats