cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Bell S7 and Roger's WiFi calling...

A320B767
I plan to stick around

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can register for WiFi calling but under Phone settings there is no WiFi calling or Volte option.

Is it as simple as reset network settings or is it because of it being originally a Bell phone?

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unlocked Bell S7 and Roger's WiFi calling...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

From what i know and learned is that no unlocked device will register on the WiFi Calling or VOLTE with Rogers. Rogers devices are only able to go get those features. You can ask them to add your IMEI number of the device on the account and see if that will enable it BUT sometimes it may not work.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

From what i know and learned is that no unlocked device will register on the WiFi Calling or VOLTE with Rogers. Rogers devices are only able to go get those features. You can ask them to add your IMEI number of the device on the account and see if that will enable it BUT sometimes it may not work.

A320B767
I plan to stick around
That's what I was afraid of!

Thanks

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

You are welcome!.

LitlLdy
I plan to stick around

Hello, I have recently brought my unlocked phone to Rogers and I have Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. They had to activate it on Rogers end. I made sure they had the correct IMEI on my account. Which some people have not had it correct on theirs and were not able to activate it until then.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @LitlLdy

It works sometimes but many don't have this option as the reps are trained not to allow this as i noticed. Most devices must be bought from Rogers in order to worry with those.

There are however some reps that will bent the rules and do it.

LitlLdy
I plan to stick around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @LitlLdy

It works sometimes but many don't have this option as the reps are trained not to allow this as i noticed. Most devices must be bought from Rogers in order to worry with those.

There are however some reps that will bent the rules and do it.

It is interesting to hear other peoples experiences with this. I guess it boils down to wanting to keep or get customers. Some people need Wi-Fi calling where they live and I was happy that there was no issues with getting it. No one even suggested or hinted it was not possible when I asked before switching to Rogers. The option of having Wi-Fi calling is the reason I switched to Rogers.

Thank-you for sharing your input and experince with it. It is greatly appreciated.

A320B767
I plan to stick around
Well I wouldn't even be inquiring except Rogers reception is pretty abysmal at my house and I have switched from iOS (i6s) to Android and I was under the impression S7 worked.

Again thanks for the info guys and quick responses.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

I would say call in and see if they can enable this for you. Hopefully they can!.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @LitlLdy

When Rogers launches a new phone and the same phone is being launched at another carrier, they usually limit the features to work on only Rogers branded devices until a later time and most reps are trained to tell that to customers.

No worries :).

LitlLdy
I plan to stick around

@A320B767 wrote:
Well I wouldn't even be inquiring except Rogers reception is pretty abysmal at my house and I have switched from iOS (i6s) to Android and I was under the impression S7 worked.

Again thanks for the info guys and quick responses.

You're welcome. I would not have switched to Rogers if they had not of informed me ahead of time that it is available and works for my unlocked phone I was bringing to them. I do not have cell phone service where I live so I had to ask ahead of time. I have no problems with it what so ever. All they had to do was activate on their end and make sure VoLTE was not blocked on my account and they were given the correct IMEI number from my phone. I spoke to a Manager to make sure before I switched to Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello &LitlLdy

That is correct. Also @A320B767

Make sure you follow the steps below. One is for her VOLTE and the other is for WiFi Calling.

" Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to VoLTE
Rogers One Number™
Ringback tunes
Advanced Call Manager
" http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/volte/2184?asc_refid=volte

" Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to Wi-Fi Calling:
Data blocking
Advanced Call Manager
Teletypewriter
Rogers One NumberTM
Alternative Line Service
Wireless Priority Service (WPS)
UMA Hotspot
Datacom
CS Data
FAX and USSD service"
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/wi-fi-calling/2196

LitlLdy
I plan to stick around

Thank-you. You beat me to it. I was coping and pasting that information along with the link to where I read it.  ha-ha. I am a little slower 🙂

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @LitlLdy

That is correct. Also @A320B767

Make sure you follow the steps below. One is for her VOLTE and the other is for WiFi Calling.

" Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to VoLTE
Rogers One Number™
Ringback tunes
Advanced Call Manager
"

" Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to Wi-Fi Calling:
Data blocking
Advanced Call Manager
Teletypewriter
Rogers One NumberTM
Alternative Line Service
Wireless Priority Service (WPS)
UMA Hotspot
Datacom
CS Data
FAX and USSD service"

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @LitlLdy

Lol its okay!. :).

A320B767
I plan to stick around
So to update I called and the CSR ended up going to a lvl 2 supervisor and no dice. Couldn't help.

So I did some digging on the internet and I found a procedure to reboot the phone as a Rogers branded phone but it requires wiping the phone back to factory reset. In process of doing it now will update the post shortly.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

Hopefully that works!.

A320B767
I plan to stick around
Well it already has given me the wifi calling option and VoLte as well. I didn't have that in the settings menu for phone before. Just waiting for the backup to finish and then will try again.

Cheers

A320B767
I plan to stick around
So success, I now have WiFi calling working as well as the VoLTE option which I will try tomorrow when out running errands.

Extremely happy to have the WiFi calling feature back as I loved it on iOS.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

Glad to hear!! :).

A320B767
I plan to stick around
Tested the phone out this morning for VoLTE and everything is running as it should.

Here is the link where I found the info to convert the phone to make it compatible for WiFi calling/VoLTE on Roger's. It's in the comments section. ***Use at your own risk***

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/07/25/rogers-updates-s7-edge-to-support-android-wi-fi-calling/

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @A320B767

Glad it worked!. Again everyone ( this goes for other readers). Please be careful doing this. This is NOT recommended by Rogers or by Zac on Mobilesyrup. He does not approve of this nor recommends it. It will wipe your device entirely and will give you bloatware that you did not have before.
Topic Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 in conversation