cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus July OTA

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor

@RogersRoland Just wondering why Bell etc have already pushed the July OTA for the Samsung Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955W) And Rogers doesn't even mention it as "coming soon"?

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8-plus/SM-G955W/

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus July OTA

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @shaggyskunk,

The S8 and S8+ is slated for July 9th. Sorry it was missed on the last OS Update.

RogersDarrell

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus July OTA

shaggyskunk
July 2nd OTA for Galaxy s9+ (SM-G955W) Seems that Bell - Virgin - Sasktel - Eastlink - Even Belarus & Tanzania have already pushed the previously scheduled July 2nd OTA & Rogers is still have it Scheduled for July 9th??

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/SM-G965W/

Rogers needs to do better!!

IainS
I plan to stick around
yup seems Rogers are behind on the update, currently being pushed out today to other Telcos.

shaggyskunk
Don't know why Rogers is frequently releasing OTAs several days after Bell (I know that Bell says that they have the fastest LTE) But maybe @RogersRoland could shed some light on why Rogers is also slower with it's updates?? I'd rather not have to download the Firmware from sammobile.com to get the updates in a timely fashion.... https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/SM-G965W/

shaggyskunk
So I get an email from Rogers Community saying:
"Let the Rogers Community Forums know if you have received the answer you needed... Just wondering if you had received the answer you needed. If so, you should let the Rogers Community Forums know so that the answer can help other members"...
@RogersRoland - NO, I didn't receive any answer as to why Rogers does not push updates at the same time as the other Carriers.... Is there some technical reason why, or is it that Rogers does not feel that it's customers needs aren't important?

RogersDarrell

@shaggyskunk

We simply do not rush to push an OS update out unless it is fully ready and has gone through multiple testing and approval phases. Being ahead or behind a few days or weeks isn't as important as getting product right, so it has minimal impacts once rolled out to the network, to the device and most importantly, to you the customer.

Check out the below infographic available under the OS Upgrades chart.

Rogers Infographic English.jpg

shaggyskunk
Thing is @RogersRoland - All the Canadian Carriers are using exactly the same Firmware on the S8+ and S9+and this has been the case for at least the last couple of years... So the testing issue doesn't seem to hold water.

IainS
I plan to stick around
there is absolutely no difference between carrier firmware on the S9's, they all use the same one.

shaggyskunk
Precisely my point! 🐧

IainS
I plan to stick around
i just used the bell one and did the update already, tired of Rogers slow updates.

shaggyskunk
You used HOME_CSC?
Bbbuutt What about all the "testing" that Rogers needs to do.... lol 😂

IainS
I plan to stick around

depends on if you want to just update or wipe the phone, i just updated mine with the Bell firmware, everything is running fine.

goedhard
I plan to stick around
How is volte and vowifi? Do they work?

shaggyskunk
Yes VoLTE & WiFi Calling work - BUT - Only if you purchased your phone from Rogers - If you purchased it from Samsung then for some bizarre reason it's not supported - People should complain to the CRTC!

shaggyskunk
Oh Rogers - Why do you even bother posting the OS Update Schedule? Every other Carrier (with the exception of videotron) was able to push the simple February Security Patch OTA on the 24th - Rogers OS update Schedule said the 26th - But no update is available lol
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s9-plus/SM-G965W/
Rogers is lying to me when it says that my Software is up to date 😂
I'm not looking for Rogers to reply to this post - I know all the explanations - This is just silly in a sad way - It's a SECURITY PATCH not a OS version update fcol 🐢

Hello @shaggyskunk!

We post this schedule in an effort to be transparent and open with our customers, so they have a much better idea of when they can expect updates. If we didn't post this schedule, our customers would have no idea of when to expect an update.

Please take a moment to have a look at the infographic posted below our OS Update Schedule to better understand each step in the process: OS Upgrade Process.

Once an update is approved, the manufacturer rolls out the update.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation