cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/MMS messages are received twice.

CataCluj
I've been here awhile

We use group SMS (3 people/phones) which may be changed into MMS, just because it seems that's what groups do.

Very often messages are received twice.

It seems clearing the cache temporarily solves the problem but that's not a solution; it's very annoying!

Anything I or YOU (Rogers) can do to solve this permanently?

It seems this problem has been happing for ages!

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SMS/MMS messages are received twice.

RogersMoin

Hello, @CataCluj.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for your post!

Receiving duplicate messages can be irksome. There are many reasons behind the messages getting duplicated. 

• What Android devices are you using?
  • Are you using the default messaging app?
  • Are the messages from a particular person duplicated?

If you have enabled RCS, poor WiFi or data connection can cause the device to attempt to resend a message already sent. You can turn off Automatically resend as text (SMS/MMS) in the Messages app.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

CataCluj
I've been here awhile

Thank you RogersMoin, (is that someone's name or... coming from Rogers I have to wonder...)

I am using the Google Messages app. It is the only one on my Moto One 5G Ace.

Both messages from my daughter  and sometimes from me get duplicated. She also has an older Moto.

It seems my wife's (even older Asus) don't get duplicated.

RCS is on but resend is Off. Also, duplicates of images also come so it's not from "resend as text".

I could (but I don't think I should) disable RCS itself to try to fix this.

I think the carrier/app maker should fix it; the system should know if it already went out either way and not send it again.

I worry without RCS images may use data allowance even when in SMS/MMS; I don't have a lot.

Hello, @CataCluj 

Thank you for providing us with those details.

• When did you first notice the duplicate messaging started happening?
  • For testing purposes, can you temporarily disable RCS to see if the issue is still happening? 
  • Are you using the latest version of the Google Messages app? If clearing the data cache is resolving this issue for you, it sounds like there could be an issue with the Google Messages app on your device.

If it is no longer happening with RCS disabled, you may need to contact the support team for the Google Messages app to see if they can assist.

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation