cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Cripples Down Phones Not Bought in Their Store

alanina
I plan to stick around
Is this fair and why do they do it just for Android phones?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Cripples Down Phones Not Bought in Their Store

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @alanina

Again this isn't a feature anyone is paying for as a extra payment. This is a feature that is on the phone but can be disabled at the wish of any carrier. Rogers picked to disabled it to the ones that got the phone from another provider or if you buy it from the manufacturer. Rogers has that right to do so if the manufacturer gives then the okay to modify it. Again Google can tell u that it's suppose to be working but carriers can disable this feature at their wish.

Do I agree with this? No i don't as we shouldn't be forced to buy a device from a carrier just to have the features working. Some may agree but many disagree with this. Again it seems to be a ploy to get customers to buy the phone from the carriers instead.

In the end, it shouldn't be disabled as of December 1st 2017, all device will be unlocked and can be unlocked for free. So either they will have features working and or will still have them disabled and only work to the IMEI number connected to the Rogers account which was done the upgrade or got it. I do believe at this point they will have features working as it doesn't matter if u are not paying for it, it's a feature which should work.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@alanina wrote:
Is this fair and why do they do it just for Android phones?

Thanks!

@alanina

With Apple, the Firmware / Software cannot be modified by carriers, which is why I personally use iOS. Software updates come directly from Apple, and everyone in the world gets it at the same time. Android is different and carriers can modify the firmware to disable features, etc.

However with all that said, Rogers technically doesn't support WiFi calling on unlocked direct from Apple iPhones, but some people have been able to get it to work. At the end of the day this is Rogers Network, so they run it as they see fit. Personally WiFi calling helps Rogers since it gives us service in areas that have no service, and it takes a load off the cell towers since the call is routed through i.p.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @alania

Yes they can as Android (manufacturers and Google) can give the approval to any carrier to lock or dosage a y feature the carrier sees fit as long as it's within the agreement.

With IPhone and Apple, Apple locks down their IOS and update and does NOT allow any carrier to modify or lock any apps or software features. Many with unlocked iPhones still do not have WiFi Calling working or VOLTE meanwhile some of us have been able to do so after speaking to Level 2 tech and having a long chat.

AnonymousUser
I'm a trusted contributor

The information above is not quite accurate.

I've never purchased an iPhone from any carrier and wifi calling and VoLTE have always worked for me without any issues. I have never even had to contact Rogers to add my IMEI.

With Nexus and Pixel phones, they are also running generic firmware and regardless of where you buy the device, it's the same phone across the board.

The only reason Wifi Calling and VoLTE are likely not working on Pixels that weren't bought from Rogers is being the IMEI is not in Rogers' database and Rogers is explicitly not allowing non Rogers Pixels from working with these services, where on Apple they don't have that same setup.

It's simply Rogers not wanting to support anyone who didn't buy these phones from them, which is sheer laziness.

Buy an unlocked phone from elsewhere and use it on a US network like T-Mobile and your phone will work with Wifi calling, VoLTE etc. Heck my buddy from NYC bought my Rogers S7 from me last year, which is a completely different model of S7 than the US market one and it still works on T-Mobile's Wifi calling and VoLTE services.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @AnonymousUser

No one is doubting that it I wouldn't put "the information above is not quite accurate". As I have ran all the reservation threads and seethe iPhones since the iPhone 6 which many had issues adding VOLTE or WiFi Calling in Apple bought iPhones and not Rogers locked ones. That's where we are getting the information from. Also many that have complained on AA and Mobilesyrup as well. Seen many complain about this with all unlocked phones including unlocked iPhones

You got lucky and didn't have to do anything BUT others like my self weren't that lucky. We had to either leave it the way it was or speak to level 2 support to figure it out and add it.

The last part of your post is correct and seems like Rogers dropped the ball. They should support it no matter what phone u have as long as the phone features it. It's a useful feature which many need in a service area which doesn't get enough service.

alanina
I plan to stick around

Guys,

I understand your points and the right of Rogers to implement extra features and market them the way they see fit.

My point is this is edging on deceptive marketing when initially Rogers communicated VoLTE will be available on Pixel phone not saying anything about the "bought from Rogers".

In this day and age going ahead with the type of strategy we see here is not going to get them too far. The truth is I barely do voice calls these days and with our without their "premium" feature I can do VOIP many ways.

They definitely will lose me as a customer and I will show my disappointment every time when someone will mention Rogers.

alanina
I plan to stick around

Just a quick update on this topic since Rogers' system reminded me of this thread asking to share the "solution" so others can benefit from it.

At this point I'm escalating will all the people I have access to on both sides to try to get VoLTE to work on my Google bough Pixel XL. I've got one Rogers technical support person who just wanted to get rid of my call by saying that according to his system it should work at my end and Google offering to RMA my phone.

Still working on this...not solved yet!

alanina
I plan to stick around

What's more disappointing is Rogers hasn't made any attempt to help with this issue...

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@alanina wrote:

What's more disappointing is Rogers hasn't made any attempt to help with this issue...

@alanina

that's because there is no issue. WiFi calling and VoLTE are nice luxuries, but they aren't required, so Rogers has nothing to fix/correct since nothing is wrong. 

If you were paying Rogers for a feature like VoLTE/WiFi calling and it didn't work, then that is different and should be fixed. However Rogers doesn't charge anything extra for these features, and chooses what devices get these free features.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

This process of not supporting some phones, in particular unlocked phones (even if directly from manufacturer), has been reported since VOLTE arrived back in 2015.  

This all began in 2015 when the bill of rights came in and the requirements about unlocking phones came in for purchased phones, or 90 days in.

Since that time, we have seen every company basically saying they support features on approved phones only (read: purchased from us with our tweaks and bloatware installed, also means we will unlock your phone, but as long as branded and bought from us, we support the full feature set).

My guess is that once fully unlocked phones come into place, then we will see these features supported on all phones (for a fee).  They are going to recover these costs somehow.  And the other message that has been put forward is that these are value added features provided on our network for our customers, and that there is no additional costs (which is a questionable debate, because it is a tool to market the sale of your network and phones, and everything is a part of the cost of services)

As people say, enough rant, we will see on this one, but it seems that the message is clear that they don't plan to support unlocked phones, not branded on their own network, and if you can get hold of the firmware and install it, it may or may not work.

So, how about charging us to turn on the features that we pay for (no it is not free, it is part of the service) if we choose to use a phone that works on all networks, if set up to do so.

Does it ever end?

Bruce

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @alanina

Again this isn't a feature anyone is paying for as a extra payment. This is a feature that is on the phone but can be disabled at the wish of any carrier. Rogers picked to disabled it to the ones that got the phone from another provider or if you buy it from the manufacturer. Rogers has that right to do so if the manufacturer gives then the okay to modify it. Again Google can tell u that it's suppose to be working but carriers can disable this feature at their wish.

Do I agree with this? No i don't as we shouldn't be forced to buy a device from a carrier just to have the features working. Some may agree but many disagree with this. Again it seems to be a ploy to get customers to buy the phone from the carriers instead.

In the end, it shouldn't be disabled as of December 1st 2017, all device will be unlocked and can be unlocked for free. So either they will have features working and or will still have them disabled and only work to the IMEI number connected to the Rogers account which was done the upgrade or got it. I do believe at this point they will have features working as it doesn't matter if u are not paying for it, it's a feature which should work.

doubrown
I've been here awhile

Through several chats with Tech Support, I discovered that the Galaxy S8+ purchased directly from Samsung cannot implement VoLTE or WiFi calling on the Rogers network even through the hardware supports both. Given that the phone downloaded Rogers firmware on connecting it to the network, this restriction seems pointless.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @doubrown

Unfortunately that's how works with most carriers here in Canada. They are locked to get u the features unless u get the device from the carrier instead. I wish that would change but it might next year hopefully.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Hopefully when the CRTC reviews the implementation of no locked phones, they will address these arbitrary restrictions on access to their services.  It kind of fits into the Wireless Code desire to provide us ease in moving from carriers, the removal of the 30 day notice, and then the requirement to allow unlocking over a period of time whether you bought the phone outright, or 90 days on a subsidized phone, and now the removal of locking at all.

The intent of that section of the code is to allow us the freedom to take our phones anywhere we choose without restrictions or unfair costs.

The CRTC is still taking input from consumers, as they are also taking submissions from the carriers before the final decision of exactly how the new model will look - just remember to send it to the CRTC, not CCTC.

Bruce

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I believe Rogers should allow VoLTE and WiFi calling on all devices that support it. This is for two reasons, the first is for refarming of GSM and HSPA to LTE. LTE is very mature now, and most/all devices support it, so they should be tuning the network for LTE. 

Second is WiFi calling, it takes a load off the towers since everything goes through the Network instead of the towers, then the network. Also it increases indoor coverage, some areas go from having no service, to full service just by using WiFi since the phone can't connect to the tower in a basement for an example. 

Both of these are GOOD for Rogers, it gives them better coverage, so less complains about having no service indoors, and it takes a load of the Rogers towers. Also it allows them to refarm GSM and HSPA, and tune the LTE network. For the techie these things make me wanna stay with Rogers and suggest then to people, because it shows how advanced Rogers is compared to Bellus which only recently started offering VoLTE and WiFi calling. 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Someone on XDA posted that with Fido they allow WiFi calling and VoLTE with unlocked devices.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/wifi-calling-freedom-mobile-t3634882/post73007157#po...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

I read that. Thats one of the rare ones like we have had here with the iPhones or Samsung which got the service working. Only some small amount will get it to work. A majority won't though. I wonder this happens.
Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation