cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS not working with android

irishrower
I've been around

Just got a new plan for my htc desire hd from australia, w/ unlimited picture texting, and i cannot send or receive any pictures. How can i fix this?

***edited labels***

67 REPLIES 67

Re: MMS not working with android

Fokker22
I plan to stick around
Wow, I thought you had it beat!! Our problem is that the pictures come through intermittently, so the MMS on/off feature didn't fly in our case. It's either off or on. We tried swapping out Sims between our two phones to prove that it wasn't a phone issue instead of a network one but to no avail.I spent 20 minutes online with tech support. The guy had lots of ideas but nothing worked. He passed it on to the next victim lol. The saga continues...Ugh..

janice11
I plan to stick around

try the wifi button on the phone.

Fokker22
I plan to stick around
We just did; no luck but it's not a solid fix if you have to turn off wifi every time you want to send an MMS

janice11
I plan to stick around

thats exactly how our pictures were. he said the MMS will not work properly with the wifi on.

janice11
I plan to stick around

you might need a network and profile reboot and they have to disable the wifi button. nope its not a fix, but its working.  im testing it for a few days and will let them know. and im going to ask them more about it. 

janice11
I plan to stick around

stopped working again. now i can send.

janice11
I plan to stick around

waiting for a tech manager to call me back.

Fokker22
I plan to stick around

Same-I was told that they just email though?I was also told that our problem just gets passed on.The fellow 

I talked to last week said that he fields 2000 calls a week .He was the one that spent 20 minutes with me on the phone.

So he recorded what we tried in the way of a fix,and passed it on.So here we sit,still no working MMS on my wifes phone(no receiving of it anyways)sigh.....We have an open ticket so I'm hoping that it gets resolved soon!

janice11
I plan to stick around

on sunday i spoke to someone from the office of the president. she assured me she emailed a tech manager to call me back. she said it could be 3 or 4 days. seems my husbands phone is fixed, mine doesnt send very well at all. A SMS/MMS program called YAATA seems to help. it also has a fix for the wifi off issue. try that, its free and get it on google play store. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I have been reading these posts with interest - my wife and I have 2 LG G4's and we have gone through on and off issues with MMS.

We have been through all the suggestions of suggestions of turn off WIFI, turn off Bluetooth, and everything you mentioned, and it still comes and goes.  I have had tickets open, and what we did narrow our issue down to was poor LTE in our area - we actually don't get LTE in our home at all - it is one bar only - the structure of all the layout of homes and physical structure are such that the tower to the west about .75 km away, we can't access it from our home or even in our yards.   We get a tower almost 2.5 km down the road.

When we can't receive MMS, we close our app, turn our phone off, go outside, turn it back on, move to a location closest to the highest signal from the local towers, and then it works, but the MMS/SMS app on the LG, the stock one, we have to force stop it first, as it keeps trying to run the download and it doesn't come.  It occurs intermittently when we are away from home.  don't know if it is our phone issues, but it also occurred on a Sony phone we had in our home before.  When it happens, both my wife and I get it at the same time.

I will try the app out and see if it improves.

But the only explanation I have ever received was that we have poor signal performance at our home due to location, that there is nothing wrong with the local towers.

I just don't send MMS very much anymore, and others don't send to me as I often didn't get them, and my wife doesn't use it very much either.

Good luck with finding a solution.

I will update if I get better results on the app you mentioned.

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

So far with that Yaata app, so good - I have been sending pictures to my wife and me, lots of them, and even 10 in one send and it worked fine and quick on all of them.  Hope that helps.  Interesting that the app includes the recognition of the issue with WIFI conflict.

I debugged that one on my own about three months ago, and it provided intermittent benefits of turning off WIFI, but a pain in the neck.  My wife has limited data, so she already had the pain of having to turn on cellular data each time she sends a message, or gets a message that an MMS did not down load, so adding the WIFI on off, sent her over the edge on that one.

Hope this app proves to be a stable solution.  Then I can go back to sending my pictures of gardens to my family.

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I am trying the app out - a couple of points - the WIFI correction helps in most cases so far, but be aware, what it does, is if if there is a delay in sending, it automatically turns off your wifi connection, and then it usually goes through.

But you have to remember to turn it back on.  A future build that item I will send to developers, is to have it automatically turn it back on when closing the app.

Definitely I did confirm my issue is with WIFI - I tried the LG app and with WIFI on, it would not send.

Also from YAADA, I also had one that would not stop trying to send - deleted the app, forced stopped it, restarted the phone, it just went back to trying to send it on the LG app,.  I had to delete the message with the MMS in it - after 6 minutes, it was still trying to send - not sure how long it would take to quit.

So not a perfect solution.

I even went outside to get better connection, but with this one, because the sending was stuck in sending mode.

It is a pain - I am tired of opening tickets and talking to techs - I have heard so many different suggestions, I don't think anyone knows what is really going on.

I will keep trying for a while before I go back to just not sending pictures.

Next step is I will try different MMS apps, say like what's app, facebook, google (hey, maybe something related to rich text, who knows, just guessing).

Keep us up to date.

Bruce

janice11
I plan to stick around

i wonder how many other people are experiencing this and dont realize it. my LTE is on all the time at my home with at least 3 - 4 bar strength. the YAATA app helped me as well but isnt perfect. my phone is receiving well but not sending. i noticed with YAATA app that it would sometimes take up to 25 min to send if i left it, cuz YAATA shows when its sent. so does that mean the packet i sent sits on the rogers network for that long ? i have problems sending even if im away from home, out in the open, no trees around etc. i had a manager call me yesterday but i couldnt talk to him cuz i had an appt. he is calling me back at 130 pm PST today.  i want rogers to fix my MMS so i can get my pics, telling me the signal strength isnt strong enough is not my problem.

Fokker22
I plan to stick around

Well as far as I know my problem is not wifi or LTE related.My wife and I are on the same plan,signed up and ported in from Bell at the same time,live in the same house with the same tower access etc.. But I'm with you-this is ridiculous. I'm a month into this now and my wife still receives MMS only sporadically. On the phone with tech support yesterday again. At least its now in the hands of the "escalation team" and to their credit Rogers is on top of it trying to find a fix.The latest had the tech get me to swap sims with my wifes(her phone is the one with the network issue) and then he sent me 10 pics to my phone with her sim in it and sure enough,only 4 went through,proving that it is a network issue.

The tech didnt have enough time to send pics to her phone with my sim ;that will be done next.

We are definitely getting hold of the loyalty dept. after this for some compensation;our plan specifies use of sms and mms and the wife is not getting that full benefit.Stay tuned...

Fokker22
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your input,Bruce.Any info on this subject is appreciated..

janice11
I plan to stick around

the tech guy dave i talked to doesnt know why my phone wont send, thats the omly problem. not sending. he said he will be calling me back after he talks to his collegues.  if u want to speak to loyalty, u should email rogers.com/concern that gets the ball rolling on any compensation or contract cancellation for lack of service. its so disappointing. 

janice11
I plan to stick around

Fokker22

the one thing your problem and our problem is all 4 of us ported in from bell around the same time. 

Fokker22
I plan to stick around

I will mention that to my tech guy-not sure what day it was but maybe you have something there.Ill have to go back and check.

janice11
I plan to stick around

also our porting in took a bit, she was on the phone will bell and then it finally went through. i told the tech that

janice11
I plan to stick around

since taking to the last tech, dave, he said he wasnt sure why my phone wont send, he did a network reboot and since ive gotten off the phone with him, my phone is sending/receiving with no fail rate. ive tested it over and over and its good. hopefully this is it !

i am using YAATA with a fresh install and its working great too. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Great it is working - rest may have changed a setting in MMS ATM setting.

See this set of posts from T-Mobile on the issue.

They recommend the following change -
Leave out the quote markes

APN type - " default,mms,supl"

APN protocol - " IPv6/IPv4

APN roaming protocol - " IPv6/IPv4

Note, on my phones, APN roaming was IPv4 only.

My guess - since it is trying to find data and can't access due to connection to WIFI as it is looking only to IPv4, it goes to WIF and it can't run.

Rogers cellular network is on IPv6 now, and once you turn off the WIFI, it is able to grab the IPV4=6 in the first setting.

You will need to create a new APN, because the SIM network settings will override the changes and keep setting it back.

Will keep you up to date - I have changed mine and not my wife's.

Interesting thing is that this issue was identified and resolved with T-Mobile in January 2017 - I just ran into it today, because I didn't think to look at other networks in US for solutions.

Does Rogers not read technical notes for other companies, or even use Google when trying to solve the problem.

Take a look at your APN settings under settings access point names, and see since they did the network rest, is setting now IPV4 and IPV6.  Mine was IPV4 only before I changed it.

Once again, community forums members do the problem solving, spin their wheels with support, and often the solution comes from our work.

I miss the days of Blackberry - they did not give final control over final settings and documentation to the carriers.

They had all vendors provide their network specs and Blackberry tested what was given to them, and then they had documentation on all companies at their reach.  Now each network does their own thing, and confirms final with company, then it is all in hands of the network on network issues, so Rogers does not know what is going on when they make similiar changes as other networks.

Thanks, I will update you over the next few days, and then document it more fully.
This issues has been reported since 2016 by the way.  2017 was about time that ours started.

Note there are also mentioned issues about wifi calling being set at wifi preferred which turns off LTE access - in the T-Mobile notes.

Bruce
Topic Stats
  • 67 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 15 in conversation