cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 Software/Security Updates

microbrained
I've been here awhile

Hi, I'm interested to know how LG G5 users who have updated to 7.0 Nougat are finding the experience.  I've read (from different carriers) results ranging from increased speed and battery life to abject failiure.

I would appreciate very much any feedback from Roger's G5 users.

Thank you.

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LG G5 Software/Security Updates

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Feralcat

Its a known issue with the app on all OS systems. The only way it I'll work is unistalling it and reinstalling it. The stores won't be able to do much either.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @microbrained

You will get mixed results here too. My buddy got the update and he said his device is working faster ( speed) and also no lag where my coworker got the update and his battery life went down and his is slower. So it depends on eveyone. They won't all have the same issue or problem.

microbrained
I've been here awhile

Well that's less than comforting lol... did your coworker factory reset his phone afterwards?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @microbrained

Yes he did. He did the factory reset right after and he only installed the apps he uses.

microbrained
I've been here awhile

I don't suppose you know if one was built more recently than the other?  Or if there are visible qc differences?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @microbrained

They are all the same built date and same software versions

microbrained
I've been here awhile

you mean your friend's phones? when i registered mine with LG they said it was manufactured in October.  Even still, I've had a few in my hands, and the build quality varies greatly to the naked eye, who knows what's going on inside.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @microbrained

Yes that is correct. His is October as well from he said. Honestly who knows.

microbrained
I've been here awhile

Hang on a sec, ur buddy's (from october) is the one that improved?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @microbrained

Yes. So as i said, not everyone's device will act the same or have the same issues.

Feralcat
I plan to stick around

The only mishap I have is now the MyRogers app won't work at all. I did factory reset and still doesn't work. Rogers said to uninstall but App is embedded and can't get rid of it. They than said to go to a rogers store for a diagnostic; like in gonna drive 45 minutes to a rogers location. Its bad enough you walk in there and they ignore you or look at you like you're wasting their time.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Feralcat

Its a known issue with the app on all OS systems. The only way it I'll work is unistalling it and reinstalling it. The stores won't be able to do much either.

konaexplorer
I've been here awhile

I've been happy with the 7.0 update. Better battery life and similarly good speeds. One minor issue was that all apps were in optimized battery mode which turned off auto sync for emails and a news app. Once I corrected that I have no complaints. One question though my security patch is dated November 2016. When will we be getting the more secure January 2017 security patch update?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @konaexplorer

Unfortunately at this moment there isn't any news when January one will come..I'll keep u posted when I get more information!

CaptJoe
I've been here awhile

LG G5 Security Patches

My LG G5 Android security patch date is August 1, 2017.  Since then, LG appears to be releasing patches on a monthly basis but Rogers does not seem to be updating the phones with them since August of last year.  Why? 

Hello @CaptJoe,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for your concern with regard to the LG G5 and its Security Updates. We have confirmed that LG has decided not to provide monthly or quarterly Security Updates for the G5.

We encourage you to reach out to LG regarding any further questions about the LG G5 Security Updates.

Kind regards,

RogersCilio

CaptJoe
I've been here awhile

Hi RogersCilio,

However, when I go to this website for LG security updates:

https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

I see that they have been providing updates on a monthly basis.  I've called them and they tell me it's up to Rogers to release them on a monthly, quarterly or irregularly basis.

CaptJoe
I've been here awhile
It's been a week and no reply or resolution yet. What's happening with this? I'm happy to wait for Andriod 8 but I'd like confirmation that 1 yr old phones are still being supported by Rogers.

Hello again @CaptJoe,

as advised above, we have confirmed that LG is no longer supporting or providing monthly or quarterly security updates for the G5

Check out this article published on April 13th 2018 by two third party researchers, supporting the information provided on the skipped security updates by LG.

Some Android Manufacturers Reportedly Skipping Security Patches

Kind Regards,

RogersCilio

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, I can confirm that LG is notorious for stopping their updates early in their cycle of production.

I have an LG G4 that remains on version 6 - it arrived new on 5, 15 months after release, automatically went up to 6, and that was the last update that has ever come.

What I would suggest for transparency though is that Rogers also included on their update page for OS and patches, is a section that identifies those phones that are no longer supported by the manufacturer.

This would allow us to know that the phone we are buying is out of support (even is still under warranty, security support and security patches may not be available).

A good example, is many phones that are more than 1 year old are not protected from the KRACK hack on WIFI security and login.  LG G4 being one of them.  To provide full security in that case, you need to purchase a VPN, either hardware or software based for your device.

Personally, I have always run a hardware VPN in my home since I worked in the corporate world, and I just never stopped. A harware VPN with a built in firewall provides a high level of coverage.

Welcome to the reality of Android and their OEM manufacturers.  Security is not something they have ever put high on their list of priorities, whereas, Blackberry still does, layering security on top of Android and sandboxing the personal use of Android away from those who use it for corporate security levels, and Apple takes their security seriously too.

Just not one of Android equipment manufacturers priorities unfortunately.

And in an earlier post somewhere, I posted the cycle of how software builds make it to the public - Android or other software companies, first develop the upgrade, and test it on new and existing equipment, they then get the carriers involved to identify their network and marketing desires, it then goes back to the manufacturer for final testing and approval.

Android gives carriers more of a free reign to do their own thing and then it gets distributed, Apple controls the show start to finish and you get it from them.

So my point is that often the delay is not with Rogers, it can be anywhere in the development/testing cycle and may be like in this case, purely Android or the device manufacturer.  You can usually find out what phones are not getting support from the manufacturer anymore online.

Bruce

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation