cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @robertz

I spoke to someone with Rogers and they told me they are working with Samsung to resolve this issue. Seems to be happening with the firmware and modem inside the device.

Hoping the S8 doesn't have this issue.

enrai
I plan to stick around

I hope they do fix this issue.

I had this issue as well until I tried to connect to the Rogers EXT network as others have suggested. I've been on this network for the past 3 weeks now and I have not lost a signal. They only time my connection became wonky was when I was in an area with what could be a dark spot for Bellus. I moved a few hundred metres and the connection went back to normal.

I hope Rogers does fix this issue soon as I'd like to connect to the main network with the EXT as a backup.

nicole29
I've been here awhile
There are a crazy amount of people with this problem, from what I can see here, but no solution yet? At least I now know it wasn't my fault.
Staying tuned in hopes of anew eventual solution.

In case anyone was uncertain, I was having this issue every other day too. Since the Nougat 7.0 update, the issue has not recurred in over 9 days and I am getting more consistent speeds on LTE+ . It took awhile, but the issue does appear to be resolved.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Ya I still drop to 4g here and there but it works way better. Don't know how they did it through a software update

Yes. I have switched the network operator back to Rogers since the Android 7 update and I never have a signal drop anymore. Guess the update has fixed it. It also auto switch me between Lte & Lte+ as well so I hope this is normal.

@jamescu11ong

@jamescu11ong wrote:
Yes. I have switched the network operator back to Rogers since the Android 7 update and I never have a signal drop anymore. Guess the update has fixed it. It also auto switch me between Lte & Lte+ as well so I hope this is normal.

switching between LTE and LTE+ is normal, it's the phone switching to LTE Advanced.

The nougat update appears to have solved my problems as well. Plus the enhancements make the phone even better than my long lost note 7. Minus the spen of course.

Good to know that. Thank you so much.

rzanatta
I plan to stick around
My S7 was purchased in March of 2016 and had no issues for quite some time. Then the problems started, which coincidentally begin after a software update.

Since the Nougat update, almost three weeks ago, the issue hasn't occurred.

My hardware wasn't changed - only the software was updated by Rogers.

So where did the problem lie? There's only two possibilities - the software or the Rogers network.

I spent hours on the phone with Rogers support, and they were all over the map with the suggestions for resolving the issue. They eventually closed the case, even when there are numerous other occurrences of the issue.

Perhaps, in the future, such a widespread issue should be escalated to a more knowledge group within Rogers who can (and will) actually solve the problem in a reasonable time. I do not think that is asking to much of Rogers.

As it stands now, Rogers dealing with this problem was quite inadequate and I will be hard pressed to renew my contract with them given their response time and poor technical support staff.

corey170
I plan to stick around

At least they closed the case for you. They can't close my case. I get a phone call every month to say that they are "sorry there has been a delay in fixing the issue". I've called twice and both times they say "yup we've closed the ticket for you". A couple weeks later and I get the phone call again. I will never sign with Rogers again... The customer service side of things is just not on par with Bell or Telus, and I consider that the most important factor when signing with a telecommunications company.

JRM2011
I've been here awhile
Mine has been good since the software update a few weeks ago. No need to be on the ext networks anymore.
Topic Stats