cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

whung
I'm here a lot

Hi there,

I recently did a hardware upgrade and switched from a Galaxy S4 to a S7. Shortly after getting it I noticed that i was having data connection issues. Throughout the day, my phone would go from LTE, then to 4G, then to no data connection, even when I have full bars of reception. The only way I've found to get data back was to restart the phone, then I would be back to LTE again. This would happen couple times a day, and I'm sick of restarting my phone. Rogers has sent me a replacement phone and I've also switched sim cards, but I still continue to have the same problem. I've also tried wiping the phone (factory reset) and using the phone with no personal files or apps loaded. The only information that was loaded into the phone was my contacts, which was loaded in when I signed into my Google account. This happens randomly, and in various locations. Rogers techincal support and advanced technical support haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. 

Is there anyone else with the same issue? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Galaxy S7 data connection deteriorates throughout the day

Colashock
I've been here awhile
Has the problem gone away yet? Is it fixed? Any advice?
I got a new SIM card, uninstall apps, followed every single steps Nothing been Solved!!
I absolutely agree with you "Re:Paying FULL Price Plan for Service and Getting Only PARTIALLY throughout the day"
I am going to file a complaint with CRTC because I am beyond frustrated with this issue.

Colashock
I've been here awhile
I'm in Edmonton and I've been having problems since June 2016 the LTE issue I thought its just Me & My Phone!! I've read every Android forum on internet even Telus forums. My friend got the S7 this summer as present so far he had to send back to Samsung non-stop problems as well.

Colashock
I've been here awhile
Thanks. I will give it a try. I have Rogers Small Business plan hope its the same

corey170
I plan to stick around

Does the CRTC do "class action" complaints? I wonder if we got enough ppl on one complaint if they would consider compensating us...

While the people at Rogers have been very kind and polite, their customer service on this issue has been absolutely horrible. I definitely won't be dealing with Rogers ever again because of how they are handling (or not handling) this problem, regardless of the eventual solution. They realize there is an issue with their networks being incompatible with some GS7s, but they don't offer any sort of compensation and just blame Samsung? But the phones have no problem working on other networks so obviously this problem is related to the sub-par Rogers network ("blazing fast LTE that only works sometimes").

I hate bad customer service... And I never really experienced bad customer service with Bell. Waiting for contract to end...

robertz
I plan to stick around
I could write the exact same post and it would be completely accurate. Not at all happy with the support on this issue.

From my understanding, there is something about the Samsung Shannon Modem that isn't compatible with theRogers Network. Qualcomm modems have no issue, and as mentioned the Shannon Modems work on Bellus, and the US Networks. When I had a Galaxy S6 (Shannon Modem) I would get "no service" all the time when the phone had to switch from LTE to HSPA, or EDGE.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
It's a nice theory, but the s7/edge north america version have Qualcomm chipsets, not Exynos.

In the case of a CRTC case suit, just file it individually and Rogers will swap your phone no questions asked. I'm still using my s7 edge locked to band 17 and have had no dropped signal, but it does use up more battery life which is annoying

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

That's not actually true. The Chipsets each carrier got are as follows:

Snapdragon 820

Verizon - SM-G930V and SM-G935V
Sprint - SM-G930P and SM-G935P
US Cellular - SM-G930R4 and SM-G935R4
China - SM-G9300 and SM-G9350 models

Exynos 8890

International unlocked - SM-G930F and SM-G935F
T-Mobile - SM-G930T and SM-G935T
AT&T - SM-G930A and SM-G935A
Canada - SM-G930W8 and SM-G935W8
Korean versions - SM-G930 S/K/L and SM-G935 S/K/L, depending on the carrier

If you got the S7 from Rogers it's going to be an Exynos.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Looks like your right, we have the Exynos variant!

Well that may just be the issue

@gagangill wrote:
Looks like your right, we have the Exynos variant!

Well that may just be the issue

It has to be the issue, all the Canadian versions use identical firmware, only the CSC is different depending on carrier. Also you could load the Bell CSC version onto a Rogers S7 and it will still have the issue. This points to a hardware issue, not a software/firmware issue. Rogers uses Ericsson for it's network hardware, bell/telus use huawei

Colashock
I've been here awhile
Here is the link for CRTC please read:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1049.htm

If you have a complaint about your telecommunications services, you should first try to resolve the issue with your service provider.
[ Which most of US did & nothing got solved ]

What is the CCTS?
The Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services Inc. (CCTS) is an independent organization dedicated to working with consumers and service providers to resolve complaints about telephone and internet services. Its structure and mandate were approved by the CRTC.

The CCTS handles complaints about most telecommunications services provided to individuals and small businesses, including home phone, wireless, Internet, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services.

The CCTS will review any complaint you submit, to ensure that it falls within its mandate. If it does, the CCTS will first ask your service provider to try again to resolve the problem with you directly. The CCTS will also help you reach an amicable resolution acceptable to both you and your service provider.

This is the CCTS link for more details:

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/guide

There are 2 tabs: Complaints/How to
I filled out form on the website and "Submit" . There are a few ways…Through Website; By Fax; By Mail; By Phone; By TTY...

Hope this helps! I encourage anyone experiencing problems/frustrations to reach out. Sometimes I find that writing to Rogers Ombudsman or asking to speak to Mgmt doesn't resolve any issues. I've been with Rogers for over +20 yrs and the past 5 yrs Customer Service/Technical Support has gone down the drain BUT the price plan hasn't changed or received any Credit at all.

Of course Rogers will blame Samsumg for hardware problems <By clearly not admitting @ Fault even if they carry Brands devices>
Samsung will blame Phone Carrier <Not accepting there is hardware issues B/C it affects Revenue&TSE>

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

I've all but confirmed that it's a Rogers network problem. One of their techs told me on the phone that it's being looked into, but that was all they could see on the ticket.

They will offer replacement phones, but that will not resolve the issue. Repairs will also not resolve the issue, if you have a device with the Exynos modem.

I will be filing a CRTC complaint, and I already emailed all my evidence to CTV to see if they report on it.

But in the meantime, we are stuck with a marginally operational phone unless you can switch carriers.

robertz
I plan to stick around
Use the ROGERS-EXT network, and the problem goes away. The phone works fine when connected to a non Rogers network, and has issues when connected to the Rogers network.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the problem lies...

corey170
I plan to stick around
Rogers EXT doesn't work for me (I live in Victoria). Band 17 works fine but I have noticed my battery life declining...
Also, they will probly cut off ur EXT access after two months of use

DillDal
I've been here awhile

I had this issue for 6 months from july on.  In December my S7's main back button started to not work so I sent it in via my Best Buy geek squad protection plan (13.99/month).  they replaced my phone with Im assuming a newer version of the phone and so far for 2 months my phone hasnt lost connectivity once, so I dont have to reset it 5 times a day anymore.   So Im pretty sure Samsung changed something in there phone to help with Rogers terrible towers and service.  I will be buying another samsung after this issue, but I will not be signing another contract with Rogers as they were useless to deal with on this issue.

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Well you can always check your model number, but if you're in Canada, chances are it's the same phone and the same modem in it. Most people's issues are stemming from the ROGERS mobile network. ROGERS-EXT does work a lot better if you can access it, which I am doing now. Hopefully they will have the ROGERS network fixed by the time my ROGERS-EXT network runs out. If they don't, and if they kick me off the EXT network as well I'll be giving them a call that will not be pleasant for them.

But regardless, I think after my contract is up I'm moving to Telus. I don't see them as that much better, but at least I know my phone will work properly on their network.

JRM2011
I've been here awhile

Add me to the list of S7 owners with the same issues. Picked up a new phone to replace my 2 1/2 year old S5 that never had an issue with service. Tried doing a factory reset, sim card and then a new replacement S7 last week. It almost seems worse with the new phone but I think I am just more upset about the issue now. It took 5 calls to Rogers tech support before I finally talked to someone that admitted that there is a common issue with the S7. I am also finding out just now that this issue has been around for at least a year. I wish I still had my S5 to use but I handed it in for a credit. The worst part of this whole thing is that most of the time when the phone is out of service, it is showing me 4G and full bars. I don't know that I don't have service until I try to make a call or the guy with me gets a call asking to talk to me. I then restart my phone and find there are 4 voicemails and a dozen emails from people that are now aggravated that I was not available to answer questions. There was one day I was connected to a very strong signal of Shaw Wifi and didn't recive emails or phone calls for 4 hours. Someone actually had to come to the job I was at to tell me to call someone.

gagangill
I plan to stick around
Hey I recommend locking it to one of therogers-ext networks. I've been using it for a month and not a single problem. The speeds are even faster than regular Rogers network. (It's bell/Telus)

Superchunk77
I plan to stick around

Use the rogers-ext network if you can. No issues on that one and if Rogers restricts your usage after 3 months tell them to stuff it, threaten to cancel your contract, CRTC complaint, whatever it takes.

JRM2011
I've been here awhile
The whole reason I am with Rogers is for cell coverage while at home. Rogers is the only provider with a strong enough signal in my area. When I moved here a few years ago I had no service at home with Telus and everyone that comes over that isn't on Rogers hmgets really bad service. Rogers EXT is just one of the other providers correct?

robertz
I plan to stick around
Yes, it's one of the other networks. Definitely resolves the problem with lost connection.

If you have WiFi at home, you could enable WiFi calling.

It's a shame that Rogers lets this issue slide.
Topic Stats