cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 Ultra Android 14 update - 5G icon and Rogers carrier branding

AugustinulousM
I've been here awhile

Hi, I just updated to Android 14 on my S23U and the first thing I noticed is the awful 5G status icon that is jarringly different from the stock Samsung one. I already know I'm with Rogers and I don't, and I suspect other users don't, need Rogers' carrier branding in their status bar.

Will Rogers consider replacing their Android 14 5G status bar icon back to the stock Samsung one?

For reference, here are Samsung's stock icons that Rogers used with Android 13 (which are still used on Android 14 that don't use carrier branding on their status icons). And here's what Rogers switched it to for customers that use Samsung phones on Android 14.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Galaxy S23 Ultra Android 14 update - 5G icon and Rogers carrier branding

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
The standard icons are also still there. There are a few factors that determine which icons you see. The SIM and or eSIM, the CSC, the firmware model version, and the carrier configuration. I still have the standard 5G icons but my Rogers eSIM is not my main SIM.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats a 5G+ icon, different than the 5G icon, it has the extra +

AugustinulousM
I've been here awhile

No, I don't think you understood my question. Why did Rogers forgo keeping Samsung's stock status bar 5G icon, that was found in Android 13, in favour of the carrier branded 5G icon in Android 14? And is there a possibility of Rogers reverting back to the stock Samsung icons? I know it's not an Android 14 thing because I've seen other Samsung phones running Android 14, and they still have the stock 5G status bar icons example1, example2.

For more information, my phone was purchased from Samsung directly. So it's Rogers' SIM that is determining the CSC (RWC) of my phone, therefore it's Rogers injecting this icon into the phone's firmware. The stock icons shows the user more information concerning the network status and it aligns thematically with the rest of the status bar icons.

LordDrakkon
Injecting is not correct. Carriers may provide some input into these updates, like the features they want and don't want, bloatware, and other little things like icons to display network services, but that is all taken care of on Samsung's end.

The 5G+ icon is in-line with what AT&T and some other US providers/roaming partners are using, which creates a better experience in that aspect.

You could always force a CSC change if you don't like them that much. A firmware change if you don't like the bloat might be the better option. The CSC I run for Rogers is XAU and I have the standard Android 14 status bar icons for Rogers.

TwitchyPuppy
I plan to stick around

With XAU as the CSC, does Wi-Fi Calling still work (since it's not RWC)?

LordDrakkon

Yes! I would attach an image if it was an option on mobile.

Edit:  Let's see if this works.

Nov_25_2023_11_32_28.jpg

TwitchyPuppy
I plan to stick around

Good to know, thanks!

Thanks for the explanation 🙂 

Did you switch to XAU on an SM-S918W? I ran the SamFW Tool and I didn't see that CSC listed as an option in the dropdown, so I wasn't sure if switching to an unsupported CSC would work on this model. I tried the generic XAC that was listed for the phone, but unsurprisingly it switched back to RWC after a restart.

LordDrakkon
The firmware I am running is the U1. I hate the W firmware with a passion because it is always the last to be updated and usually excluded from Samsung's official beta program.
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation