cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International messaging costs

YChargeMe
I've been around

I’ve noticed a few dollars here and there in my last couple bill cycles for international messaging costs - I have no idea where this is coming from. This bill cycle I incurred a pretty sizable charge for international messaging and decided to call Rogers. I was hoping to find out: which number am I messaging that’s international to prevent this from occurring and whether Rogers can waive the fee if it was not a fault on my end. The support staff claimed it was due to a third party messaging app like WhatsApp and advised me to contact WhatsApp directly… and that there’s nothing they can do on their end to help further. No waiving of fees because it’s most definitely my fault. Has anyone had this before? I did not feel the agent took me or my concerns seriously. I am confused and frustrated. Where do I go from here?

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: International messaging costs

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around

they can see if it's coming from your SIM card therefore you need to figure out what is causing it on your phone.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

The issue with WhatsApp, is that it can hand off messages and calls without you knowing to your mobile carrier.  They do this to make sure your experience with their service isn't dependent on being connected to WiFi or slow data.  Some malicious apps will send texts without you knowing.  Have you installed any apps recently around when this started happening?  

np66
I've been around

This has happened to me on 2 occasions, and they also told me this isn't their doing - it's a WhatsApp issue. WhatsApp isn't the one charging 75 cents PER MESSAGE. Rogers should be warning customers that we are being charged when it's happening, not at the end of the billing cycle, so we can decline the charge. It's very deceitful, in my opinion.

LordDrakkon
It isn't Rogers fault that WhatsApp is handing off what you are doing to the carrier, causing you to be billed for something that WhatsApp is misleading you into thinking should be free. WhatsApp has no warning and no way to disable the hand-off from using your data connection to standard SMS/MMS messages and calls over cellular. WhatsApp is the issue!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard this before, The Whatsapp Application sending text messages, thus since they are being sent from the app, its a legit charge.   but it is kind of shady that you are not being made aware of it. I would ask everybody who experiences this to WRITE TO THE WHATSAPP COMPANY which is owned by Facebook and explain your displeasure,   if no body complains, they wont change/fix it or at least put some kind of warning screen to advise you

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am wondering why I only hear of this problem affecting rogers and fido customers,   there is no information anywhere on whatsapp website about the app sending text messages thru your phone, but if u have an android im sure you can remove that permission.

LordDrakkon
I have seen complaints on the Telus forum, AT&T forum, and T-Mobile forum for the same thing. Too many people not caring enough or knowing enough about the issue to do anything about it. Stop using Meta trash!
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation