Device Protection Guarantee

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Device Protection Guarantee

Hello @Ap11

Have you called Rogers to block the services and see what they can do?
I've Been Around

I am a customer of Rogers for some 30 years now.  I have, as of this post, reached the limit of my ability to stay with this provider.  It all started when I had to replace my phone at the end of January of this year.  I decided on a Samsung Galaxy 6, pretty much a normal smartphone.  I opted for the contract where it paid out over 2 years, which I usually do, and allowed the salesperson to tack on phone protection, figuring that, since I work outdoors (my last phone literally froze, which was why I had to replace it) it would be prudent.

A month later, this phone starts dropping connection to cell networks.  I would have to go and manually search available networks to reconnect.  After about 2 weeks of this behaviour, it stops connecting altogether.  The rest of the phone works fine, connects to the internet, etc. Just no cell service.  I take it in for service.  3 weeks later, I am given a terse call by the franchise I took it to that my phone will not be fixed as it has "severe corrosion" and "water damage".  I find this kind of absurd, but fine, I have insurance, right?

Wrong.

Turns out this is third party insurance, which I was not informed of when I signed up.  The deductable is $230.

For a phone that was manufactured 2 years ago and only in my possession not even 2 months.  I also have to do all sorts of paperwork and pay in advance to see if they will bother shipping me another.  Rogers also informed me that I will have to shell out the 'full' $600 cost  if I decide to leave.  I also got hit with $60 in excess data charges from the malfunctioning phone dropping and reconnecting.  I feel like I have been conned and my loyalty abused.  I have had no satisfaction from Customer Service, retention, or the local Rogers franchise.  It reminds me of the predatory tactics that the banks have been accused of lately.  I am going to end up paying almost $1000 to 'buy' a phone that had either a manufacturing defect or was badly handled and stored before it was fobbed off on me.   This company is the United Airways of service providers!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @User1811303

Welcome to the forums!

First let me say that i am sadden to hear what happened.

Second. Just to run u through something. The insurance u pay has a deductible of $200 Plus taxes for ANY phone u get. So if I broke my S8+ and wanted another one, they would charge me $200 for it. Sadly this is how it works and if the rep failed to inform u, then it's a mistake on their end but Rogers had a site linked with Asurion which shows u this as well. It doesn't matter how old the phone is. There is a deductible for all phones. Some are high till $200 and some are low in pricing.

As for the charges of the overage. Have you spoken to a manager and see what they can do? Also have them check out why u have to pay $600 to cancel ur account seeing as u did not do a upgrade, all they did was send u out a replacement phone.

Best thing to do is contact a manager. If that does not help ask the manager to escalate it to the Office of the President and have them look at this.

First though try and connect with @CommunityHelps and see what they can do!

Hello, @User1811303

Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Community. I appreciate your loyalty and I would be disappointed as well with such ordeal.

We can definitely dive into your account and explore the options for you. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: Thank you, @Meowmix

I've Been Around

Device protection is a rip off. Rogers has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. Incompetent and dishonest.
I've Been Around

Be aware that you no longer have whatever was left of your Apple warranty.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jgilroy1

Not really. If you contact Apple and let them know what happened, they will give u the remaining Apple warranty on that device as long as it's added to ur account. Done this before and worked without issues.
I've Been Here Awhile

Loyal Customer?

Hi there
I've been a loyal customer of Rogers wireless for 20-22 yrs.I took over my wife # when she past 10 yrs ago. I have purchased the wireless insurance plan and pay evey month. Recently I had my bag drop off the back of my truck and ran it over with my phone in it , needless to say the phone was crushed!
I called Rogers and they told me there was a $200 deductible and it would not be worth fixing. So now I have to pay off my existing contract ( which can afford) and get a cheaper phone. I feel so taken advantage of.Insurance was just wasted $.
I'm now thinking about pulling my services and going with Bell who consistentaly tell me in letters why I should go to Bell. For the most part I have ignored them as I thought loyality meant something.... Guess I wrong.
Sincerely,
John

I've Been Here Awhile

If your not well versed in the English vocabulary and non confrontational the people at Rogers will not care about how long you've been a customer. They are told to save money at all costs.....
If not for Loyal customers Rogers would be out of business. Full Stop.....

I've Been Here Awhile

I forgot to mention that not once did my wife and I ever get a free phone , or ask for anything! Now thats loyalty.
Just paid our bill and shut our mouths.And thats the thanks you get.
What's New
WWE: Summerslam LIVE
Sunday August 19, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

Get ready for the biggest party of the summer. Don't miss Brock Lesnar, AJ Styles, Ronda Rousey, Roman Reigns, Alexa Bliss and all your favorite Raw and SmackDown Superstars at the hottest event of the summer. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Onatio/Atlantic)

Ask an Expert: Ignite TV

Topic Stats