cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overage consent for Rocket Hub?

Dastrum
I plan to stick around

Apparently there was a change in the CRTC Wireless Code and now mobile users have to consent to increases in data usage and charges. Unfortunately this seems to apply to Rocket Hub users as well because I've had to call support two times now to remove holds on my data. Once was last month when I reached the $50 overage limit and just now when I reached the 2nd tier in my mobile flex plan. I was referred to a link on the Rogers website that I could click next time but I can't seem to get it to work. I was wondering if anyone knew the link?

I have to wonder why Mobile Internet was just lumped in with this change considering there is no way to send and receive texts from a Rocket Hub. I checked my bill from last month and it lists no option for Mobile Internet users other than calling support and waiting for a representative. It's really inconvenient to have to call the support line just to get regain access to a service that's theoretically already been paid for. 

*Edited Labels*

57 REPLIES 57

Re: Data overage consent for Rocket Hub?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cpp5 wrote:

The Rocket Hub Device (MF275R) does have a SMS setting on their back end admin panel (by typing 192.XXX.X.X into your browser).  I have checked many times to see if there are any notifications in their "DEVICE SMS", or "SIM SMS" areas ..... nothing .... ever (it even shows a log of 0/100 ..... but it is always "zero" .... I have never seen a message in there!

The easiest fix is:  have a FIXED HEAVY Plan at the same rate as their top end FLEX Plan (ie.  $145 for 100GB of data)

* then apply the data intercept at $50 over the top end .... ie.  $50 over the $145 = $195.00 ...

Which is an option.. 
But I think they tried to move away from fixed plans on the cellular.. since the $ is much more period.
and for users who then dont use that much usage.. your stuck overpaying.

Though a 'lock' for those who do know they use that much usage consistently, at least as an option, would work.

And I do find it odd that that the rocket hubs dont receive the texts on it..
As I know the MiFi mobile hotspot units do receive texts (we use them at work, and they get notifications when they are in a roaming zone, get the roaming text, etc)

victor4
I plan to stick around

if we had received an email  that our usage was getting close then we could have applied for more through the web site rather than sitting on the phone sometimes for extended periods of time finally getting to talk to somebody who you realize does not know what you are talking about and deny  you have a problem because they have not been trained or just don't care

cpp5
I plan to stick around

@Gdkittywrote:

@cpp5wrote:

The Rocket Hub Device (MF275R) does have a SMS setting on their back end admin panel (by typing 192.XXX.X.X into your browser).  I have checked many times to see if there are any notifications in their "DEVICE SMS", or "SIM SMS" areas ..... nothing .... ever (it even shows a log of 0/100 ..... but it is always "zero" .... I have never seen a message in there!

The easiest fix is:  have a FIXED HEAVY Plan at the same rate as their top end FLEX Plan (ie.  $145 for 100GB of data)

* then apply the data intercept at $50 over the top end .... ie.  $50 over the $145 = $195.00 ...

Which is an option.. 
But I think they tried to move away from fixed plans on the cellular.. since the $ is much more period.
and for users who then dont use that much usage.. your stuck overpaying.

Though a 'lock' for those who do know they use that much usage consistently, at least as an option, would work.

And I do find it odd that that the rocket hubs dont receive the texts on it..
As I know the MiFi mobile hotspot units do receive texts (we use them at work, and they get notifications when they are in a roaming zone, get the roaming text, etc)

I agree -  I would definitely be paying more for a FIXED HEAVY PLAN at $145/100GB, but I would GLADLY pay the extra $20.00 to avoid the disruption of being cut off at $50 over a Flex Plan (around the 20GB data mark as per @RogersCorey)

I also find it odd that the Rocket Hub can't be set up to send a text/email to the user when they are approaching the data cut off point.

As an update:  our office has only had the "data cut off" happen 1x to us at the beginning of this cycle (early March) and we were only down for 10-15 minutes (although, after we "accepted" the $50 overage, we were back ON for 10 min, then suddently back OFF for 10 min, then back ON for the rest of the time).  We didn't try unplugging or restarting the modem ..... Again, it is completely "guess work" and "trial and error" on how to handle the data cut off.

- We are still waiting for Rogers to post some sort of communication on how to handle the data cut off (ie. data intercept).

Hello Community!

We have not forgotten about you and the issues you have been facing with Data Overage consent for the Rocket Hubs. We have escalated this matter and we are awaiting further instructions from our Wireless teams.

We greatly appreciate your patience while we work on a solution to this matter for you.

Stay tuned!

RogersTony

@RogersTony

When can we expect an update. Or at the very least when can we expect the team to check in again with the wireless team an provide an update on the status.  

I would like to not leave it open ended, as I find Rogers often says we will get back to you but nothing ever comes from it. 

cpp5
I plan to stick around
@RogersTony

We are still waiting for a fix and update from the wireless team!

gwmacdonald
I plan to stick around

I have just made my monthly call to technical support in Moncton to have my mobile Internet service restored after having been suspended by the Wireless Code.    Apparently there is a self-service option at http:/www.rogers.com/m/dc but I don't know if it works for RocketHubs.   

Invariably, the technical support agent requests me to restart the RocketHub.    During the winter while absent from my residence, I use my Rogers mobile Internet Service to monitor the temperature of my residence.    My fear is that a future suspension of service will occur during one of these absences.  

Hello everyone!

Thank you all for your continued patience. As @RogersTony mentioned, we haven't forgotten about you. 

We’re working on a self-serve solution to make it easier for customers using tablets or similar devices to authorize additional data. We’ll update you as we get closer to that time.

Stay tuned!

Kind regards,

RogersCilio

wobbletop
I've been here awhile

This failed me again this morning right before an online meeting.

http:/www.rogers.com/m/dc was not working either.

After restarting the hub multiple times, I somehow got a webpage that allowed me to override the data usage messages. It wasn't the same as the webpage above.

There needs to be a solution that doesn't lock us out of a service we have already paid for. I can't believe that isn't obvious.

northofbolton
I plan to stick around
Well THREE months later and we are still waiting for Rogers to get back to us with a solution. Very frustrating to get cut off from a service we pay heavily for and then have to scramble to get it restored. The CRTC should share some of the blame for this. This may help protect cell phone users from unexpected overages but it does the exact opposite for hub users. We now have to give premature consent to allow overages while still at the bottom of the tiered plan. The result being once you do get close to the overpriced overages there is no warning since you gave it the okay to charge you prematurely. Not an ideal situation for hub customers who already have to pay heavily for a service they require with few if any alternate options.

RockinR
I plan to stick around

It's still criminal even when there's a world crisis with Covid-19 they are still blood suckers not lifted data restrictions but they do for city people on "home internet" plans that have data caps. What ps's me off is the data caps city folks get are like 400 gigs. Are you serious? 400 gigs then for a couple bucks more your unlimited. OMG. Try paying over a hundred bucks for less than 100 gigs then 50 dollars more for a couple gigs of HOME INTERNET. 

Covid-19 and told to STAY HOME and students all streaming ONLINE COURSES ..... thanks. 

This is not official, I am not working for rogers by any means.

The one thing I have read about, which is quite possible (it was out of the US, but would apply here as well).

In some areas, depending on how/what the tower setup is, etc.. towers can get overloaded.
I forget who it was on here, but they used cellular internet, but lived near a highway.  During rush hour timeframes, their wireless internet would take a significant hit in performance, as the number of people connected and using that tower would increase.

I could see that in these cases.  Where with unlimited usage on the cellular internet, people might be more inclined to use it consistently, and then could possibly bog down the towers?
This, in the long run could effect the phone usage on those towers then.  Where the phones maybe be used for emergencies?

northofbolton
I plan to stick around
I don't think it's just rush hour that usage can increase. Cell usage and speeds fluctuate throughout the day. I don't have numbers but I bet the percentage of cell hub users compared to cell phone users is much much lower. If your willing to pay the higher overage fees the cell phone companies are more than happy to accommodate us. If they are concerned about overloading the towers then start laying fibre optic like Vianet are doing in parts of King township.

Bell and company managed to put telephone lines up in the majority of the country over the years so why not do the same with fibre optic.

They keep selling and promoting further use of cell phones so I would have to believe the capacity is there. If the cell network really can't handle it then it's time to offer workable and affordable alternative options because the demand is not going to decrease.

RockinR
I plan to stick around
I'll have to agree that congestion isn't an issue, my lord look at Downtown Toronto and the amount of usage in that core alone! Are you kidding me that alone proves the theory there.
Also I've never yet saw, read or heard of the problem existing albeit on a documentary, television or radio. No one discusses the matter neither does the Telco so I'm thinking myth.
What I do know is they are making millions on the rural hubs versus price per gig than those on cable/dsl/fiber.
The majority of share/stake and CEO's live in areas serviced with unlimited so why care to share when it's out of mind.

sherm
I've been around

Our rocket hub monthly charge appears excessive at $205 please confirm why and how it can be reduced thnx

Hello @sherm,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thanks for your post. I understand you're trying to keep track of your invoices and making sure they're lowered to a minimum during these difficult times.

Are you familiar with your Rocket Hub Flex Rate plan? In the instance where your usage may have increased, it could mean charges higher than usual. If you were incorrectly billed for overages we'd be more than happy to look into it for you.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. If you're not familiar with our private messaging system, click here.

Thanks!

Topic Stats