CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

Just to expand, as i think i understand what your saying.

Can you just pay $20 a month (the tab part) rather than the 110?

No, not a monthly basis.

The only way to really avoid paying the regular monthly bill, would be to as Meowmix said, pay off the full balance of the tab out in one go, then you can cancel.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Just a reminder that this policy comes into effect tomorrow. Do not get ripped off by rogers.

http://business.financialpost.com/telecom/check-your-cell-phone-bills-updated-wireless-code-goes-int...

I've Been Around

I wanna unlock my mobile

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Misbahfaisal wrote:

I wanna unlock my mobile

That is very easy, just call them, give them the IMEI of your phone, and they will provide you an unlock code just like that.

I've Been Around

Plz unlock my phone

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sukhgoraya

You would need to contact customer care via phone or live chat and they would be able to assist you with unlocking your device!
I've Been Here Awhile

Unlocking a phone from Kijiji

I`ve got a Galaxy S8+ from Kijiji, the phone has been working great no issues. I was just wondering if I could still have it unlocked thru Rogers. I`ll be travelling at the end of this months. 

Thank you!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @rosco911

As long as you provide the IMEI number to Rogers they should be able to unlock it. I don't believe they have a rule like Bell that the device must be a Rogers device. A coworker was able to unlock a phone they bought from the states with Rogers without issues.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers *is only* required to provide unlock codes for Rogers branded /rogers sold devices. T this is the policy on their web site and on their internal systems. Now, just because its policy does not mean every agent will adhere to it. There are a small percentage of agents who do not adhere to policy and will provide an unlock code for a non-rogers sold device, these cases are usually 1-off, or sometimes they will get supervisor approval and do it as a one-time good will gesture, but most importantly they all connect to the same databases to get the unlock codes from.  The reason they set policies in place is to ensure they have the correct levels of support staff and resources on hand to support all the unlock requests, remember, they have to PAY these employees a living wage to answer the phone and give you the unlock code,  If they had to give unlock codes for every phone carrier in the world, the telephone lines would be busy, they would need more staff, etc., and where would the money come from? from the wireless profits which would mean possible higher prices down the road.   It's a simple rule of economics 1O1 my friend!

What's New
2018 VIVO IPL 11
April 7th - May 27th, 2017
Full Package
Sportsnet PPV: 377 HD | 378 SD
Price: $29.99
Playoff Matches
Sportsnet PPV: 348 HD | 250 SD
Price: $14.99/game
Full Details and Schedule

The VIVO IPL is a professional Twenty20 cricket league established by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2007. The tournament features eight teams from across India with some of the most exciting and talented cricket players in the world! The 2018 season of the Indian Premier League, the VIVO IPL 11, begins its eleventh season on April 7th.

Topic Stats