CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

So does this mean that carriers are going to have to focus a little more on customer service and quality product delivery if they don't want customers  constantly jumping ship  ?  

I'm a Regular

Just yesterday Rogers Customer Service advised that it would cost $50 to unlock my phone.  No mention of the CRTC ruling.  That's nice.

Been with Rogers for more than 15 years with all my services.  Internet, Cable and mobile.  Not any more.  Moving one line at a time over to Freedom for now.  Freedom gives a discount automatically for more than one line, better than bundle discounts, and the rates are much better.  Even Bell has a better deal.

Next come the services, one service at a time.  Just received a letter explaining that each service re Cable and Internet are going up $5.  That's between 5 and 10% depending on your plan.  What justifies this?  An overgrown, overpaid management team that doesn't know what customer service is?

There are no deals at Rogers, just robbery.  Crooks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jszentir

The CRTC ruling doesn't start until December 1st. Ofcourse they wouldn't advise u of the ruling from the CRTC as they aren't suppose to until when or near that date. So November they will start saying it.

Unfortunately all carriers are doing this until then
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Freedom is a great company price wise for plans.
As long as you live in an area which is within their home network coverage

I have looked at them quite a number of times.. unfortunately i live out of their home area of coverage Smiley Sad

As Meowmix said, with just about any of the CRTC rulings, they do take time before they are in place.

If you look across the companies, you'll find that many of them are the same, especially the bigger ones.
I have heard many people that have been upset at say the price increase, and then changed to say bell, etc.
Low and behold, bell does the SAME things.

Not sayings its right....

Grass is sometimes legitimately greener.. sometimes only seems that way.
Everyone needs to do all their research and check ALL details.  Dont always just rush to another comapny due to their price looking that much better just at face value (IE: someone near me switched to freedom.. and was getting SLAMED with roaming fees Smiley Sad ).  Make sure to get ALL the info.  All the pricing (now, later, etc).  Price history with the company.  How is the service in that area, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Change of carrier

Hi, I brought my S8 at Wal-Mart 20 days ago, the man that sold me my phone told me that I'm December i can go to Rogers and they would, if I want, unlock my phone for free.

I want to know if after I get my phone unlock I can change of carrier but keep paying my monthly tab to Rogers.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mialmeri

Yes you can move the device to another carrier and still pay the Rogers bill you are paying now.

If you want to fully transfer or close the account with Rogers, then u will need to pay the remaining flextab of the device owning.
I've Been Here Awhile

Now a question comes to me ¿will i have to keep paying my Data/Voice plan? I assume as logic that I have to pay what my debt of the flextab but ¿will I have to keep paying my data and voice plans?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mialmeri

Once you pay th flextab off and you ask them to cancel your account, then the account closes and u won't pay anything after that. Same goes when u transfer the account to another carrier. Once ur final bill comes, that's the last bill u will receive by Rogers.
I've Been Here Awhile

Maybe I didn't explain myself well.

For example right now I'm paying 110$, 90(from voice/text and Data plan) and 20$ from my flexitab.

If I want to change of carrier in December for example, how much I will have to pay to rogers? Only the 20$ from my tab or the full 110$?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mialmeri

You will pay the remaining balance on the device you have right now ($110+ the final bill that gets included so $110+$90 and the $20 and any other charges they ad ( disconnection fee if they still have that). All that will be included in ur final bill.

So everything will be added to ur last invoice with Rogers once u request to cancel the account or port the number to another carrier.

This will be best to be explained by the Contact Rogers customer care and they will explain this to you as well if u like.
What's New
WWE: Summerslam LIVE
Sunday August 19, 2018
LIVE: 8:00 PM ET
PPV Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD)
Price: $54.99
WWE Network Channel: 512 | 398 (Atl)
Price: $12.99
Full Details

Get ready for the biggest party of the summer. Don't miss Brock Lesnar, AJ Styles, Ronda Rousey, Roman Reigns, Alexa Bliss and all your favorite Raw and SmackDown Superstars at the hottest event of the summer. Live on Sportsnet pay-per-view or on the WWE Network, channel 512 (Onatio/Atlantic)

Ask an Expert: Ignite TV

Topic Stats