CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees as of December 1st 2017

For me, a fee to unlock isn't a deal breaker... $50 is steep, perhaps $10? -- but for me, it doesn't really matter.

The biggest for me in what is this decision going to cost users? When 3 year contracts went to 2 years, we saw price increases, and even major increases for BOYD/month-to-month users. Which makes absolutely no sense.

Why should I pay the same price as someone who gets a new phone for a plan when I don't get a subsidized phone? The discounts for BYOD should be much more!

I want to see affordable plans brought back, without the value-added features, for BYOD users. My 6 GB Super Plan is awesome except for no extended coverage, but it makes no sense for me to upgrade my plan for another $40-50/mn when I don't need the additional services like spotify/NHL or a new device (which I don't really care to have the lastest and greatest device anyways...).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @b-ry

Thats what many said after the CRTC made this ruling. Once the carriers lose the $30-$50 they will add that on another service or plan.

Unfortunately we as customers can only do so much until the CRTC listens. It took them years to do what they just did.

For you it might not matter about the unlocking but for thousands it does. This means whoever is travelling, can use their existing phone with another carrier where they are at like a pay as u go account. No need to go over data and or fees. This also helps the customer not dish out $30-$50 unlocking fee which i have to agree the price was and is a rip off. I can get a unlocking code for $10 near my house which u have done many times and works without issues. Carriers have the same software and systems they use as well (he worked for Bell tech support before hand). So all in all I am happy with this.

I'm Here A Lot

Glad you commented on and clarified  the incorrect assertion that unlocked phones should cost more.

My question to Rogers now is why wait till December to implement this policy.  It has been wrong from the start. Will they take a pro-active step and announce the immediate termination of unlocking fees.  Do the right thing for you customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @DGB31

My understanding is that they will have this up once December 1st comes. Since this is a CRTC ruling, I believe carriers must follow the date given to them. They would have to speak to the CRTC and see if they can get clearance to have this start as soon as possible but up to both of them.

Rogers will be making a announcement as well regarding this but most likely won't their CEO, managers and all find a way to get the money back. I believe more information will be given to us by Rogers following that date.

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry?  I do not think that the CRTC mandated the unlock fee.  They are now ruling that it be discontinued by Dec. 1.   As far as I know there is absolutely nothing preventing any carrier from discontinuing this fee any time they choose

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @DGB31

The CRTC in fact made a rule for the carriers to have customers pay a unlocking code to unlock their devices A. After 90 days of getting the device on a 2year term OR immediately once you purchased the phone outright. It's on the CRTC page if u want to view it.

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/infograph01.htm

Also my post above was about the ruling yesterday. Not the ruling about the unlocking payment.

" service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.
for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request."

Here you go. This is the current one. The CRTC made the rule that u can have the unlocking done BUT the carriers put a price as what they want. The CRTC let that happen and agreed to it.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm

I'm Here A Lot

SO... Rogers is totally free to set that cost at zero.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @DGB31

From the looks of it it says RATE so it doesn't say free which is $0. So again no one knows. The CRTC has said many that's that its up to the carriers the amount they put for the unlocking fee but also were surprised on how high the put the price. In the end this should have never happened and been able to get our devices unlocked for free years ago.

I'm Here A Lot

and one more thing.. the page you linked to here,.. it simply states that the carrier must unlock a phone after 90 days or immediately if purchased outright.   It in no was dictates they they must charge a fee to do this, nor does it dictate that the phone must be locked to a provider's network at all.  You have misinterpreted this completely. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @DGB31

Guess you missed this?

" F. Mobile device issues
1. Unlocking

A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.
for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request."

" Locked device
A wireless device that is programmed to work only with the network of the service provider that sold the device to the customer."

Please if you have any thing else regarding this contact the CRTC as per they are the ONES that first started the carriers to give out unlocking codes and giving the carriers a choice to add whatever amount they wanted to unlock a device.. I never once " misinterpreted" anything. Maybe a bit or research would be best as I provided the link which shows the CRTC rule that any locked device CAN be unlocked on a fee that the carrier choices to put. This ranges from any amount. If it was "$0" then the CRTC would have made the announcement they did yesterday, back years ago when they made the ruling above. If you can find anything on the CRTC page which mandates all wireless rulings that states a carrier should NOT have a device locked then please show it. As shown above, the CRTC has made a rule that carriers have to unlock devices within a time frame and also can charge whatever amount they which. Carriers can lock a device to be used to then other then the Nexus / Pixel line as that is coming from Google and the agreements from them. The CRTC in no way has told the carriers to lock any device but supported it many times. The carriers are free to lock the devices to them as you as a custom get a better deal when signing up with the.. Again please do some research on your part.

If you have any issues regarding this, contact the CRTC and see what they tell you. They will give u the exact information I gave from their OWN website.

Topic Stats